But this is not clever

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
STOMP - Singapore Seen - These pics show man who chose to keep iPhone he found in cab

Stomper lets everyone know. When you have a secret application that protects you, you must not let EVERYONE know.

In future, dishonest people will simply cover the camera lens of the iPhone with black PVC adhesive tape, while they try to crack the password.
Or they will just remove the simcard from the iPhone first, so nothing can be sent/emailed.
If they can crack the password, they will then delete the "I Got Ya" app first, before they use it.

If they cannot crack it, they will just sell to some "fence" organisation, probably in Geylang that has the ability to crack the iPhone password protection and send the phone overseas for sale.

Last edited:
maybe this guy dont know got such app mah.

now he knows, i think he cant sleep liao. scare police knocking on his door. he better surrender it.

The guy must browse STOMP then he know let.

Just wondering it out loud, did the guy commit a crime? Yes he did not choose to return the phone, tat's is his character. I'm not saying i agree with him. But is he a criminal that the police can arrest him?

Sorry... I don't think anything on stomp will ever be clever. Why do people even hang out there I don't even understand. :dunno:

Just wondering it out loud, did the guy commit a crime? Yes he did not choose to return the phone, tat's is his character. I'm not saying i agree with him. But is he a criminal that the police can arrest him?

it is consider stealing.

In the age of smartphones where we engage social media and almost about everything in your life with the phone , losing the physical phone is the least of my worries.

Losing that intangible data and connection is more worrying.

The photo is quite clear ... and if any of your friends or relatives look like him, I am sure you will inform him to pass the phone to the police. It's so shameful to keep things that belong to others.

It is on front page of New Paper. According to several online articles, iGotYa app is something you need to jail break your iPhone to install.
P1SATJULY21.jpg

Singaporeans need to think carefully about this app iGotYa.
This app can bring out the worst in Singaporeans. I am talking about mis-using the app for the perversion of ENTRAPMENT.

Where people pretend to lose their iPhone (or iPad) and secretly (whether alone or in a pre-planned group) monitor anyone who is tempted to steal or keep the iPhone.
That is, they purposely tempt others and then use the app to publicly denounce others as thieves; or to blackmail them as having committed a theft.
Some bored and rich people get their kicks out of this kinky pastime, when they can expose other people's moral weakness.

The iGotYa app sends the emailed photo and GPS position, by Wifi or 3G when anyone enters the password wrongly twice. If the thief is careful not to be in a free Wifi area, then it means 3G is needed. This means simcard must be in + the original owner must not cancel the sim card immediately with the Service Provider, after the iPhone loss. Otherwise the iGotYa app cannot use 3G to send the emailed photo and GPS position.

The iGotYa app can easily be defeated by pasting dark adhesive tape over the camera lens and/or removing the sim card.

But if the thief really wants to get back at the owner, this is what he can do:

He removes the sim card from the iPhone and uses it in another phone to make very long and expensive IDD calls to far away places, racking up huge telephone bills. Say, for example, $30,000. The registered owner of the sim card (who did not cancel because he wanted the iGotYa app to function to email the thief's photo and GPS location) has to pay up to the service provider.

Last edited: