Bulb Photography Without Cable Release Or Remote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DIY cable release is so easy and cheap to make. I use a Nokia earpiece cable to make one for my 350D. it works and didnt cost me anything cos I have all the parts laying around my store.

How did u go abt making this cable release? I've got spare earpiece at home and would not mind converting it to a cable release.

Snoweagle said:
But what if there're some lights around?
Then you won't need to do a bulb exposure. Won't be dark enough anyway.

fWord said:
Okay, everyone. Sorry for the trouble. I just read the online user manual for that old film camera and it makes a mention that the shutter speed cannot be at Bulb when using the self-timer mode. So it looks like a purchase of a cable release is in order. :sweatsm: Any advice on this? And how much should I expect to pay?
What model is your camera? Most modern DSLRs do not have the threaded mechanical release anymore. You might need to purchase an electronic release which will can be from anything between $20-$60 or might be even more.

In the case of Nikon D70/D70s (don't know about D50 though), you may use the IR release which is about $20. You will not have bulb mode when you switch to the remote mode for some practical reasons. However, you will get a 'T' mode which the shutter will open when the release button is pressed (on the remote) and remains open until the release button is pressed again.

I think different cameras will implement this differently so you should check the manual to see what the manufacturer recommends.

Post note: Ok ok.. I wasn't reading enough.. It was an old mechanical model... You should be able to get a mechanical release for less than $20. :)

Snoweagle: Yes, it's annoying. Sometimes I even wonder why people bother to shine a torchlight over. Isn't it obvious from just the shape that the person is a photographer with a camera on a tripod? :confused: Sometimes people are very kaypoh...I remember meeting up with someone to see his camera. This old man sitting behind the seller shifted his position and started craning his neck to see what we've got. I wanted to ask, "What the hell are you looking at?" But decided to just tolerate the attention and move on.

catchlights: Ahh...only $10? That doesn't sound too bad, and I could probably save up that much just by staying in camp for two nights, which I do anyway. :bsmilie: Wish home was a little nearer to camp.

DeSwitch: Heheh...if I were enterprising enough, it's something I could try, but I don't have the knowledge on how to build one. Care to share a picture of your DIY cable release?

lsisaxon: I was also wondering if there is even ANY place in Singapore where light pollution is low enough to attempt star trails. This is probably something I could only attempt overseas, and even then, only in the right places.

lsisaxon said:
What model is your camera?

It's an old film camera, a Canon A-1. There is a little screw thread in the shutter release button for the cable release to screw into.

DeSwitch said:
DIY cable release is so easy and cheap to make. I use a Nokia earpiece cable to make one for my 350D. it works and didnt cost me anything cos I have all the parts laying around my store.

just curious, how you make them into a mechanical cable release?

The OP is ask for using old manual film camera for bulb exposure.

fWord said:
Okay, everyone. Sorry for the trouble. I just read the online user manual for that old film camera and it makes a mention that the shutter speed cannot be at Bulb when using the self-timer mode. So it looks like a purchase of a cable release is in order. :sweatsm: Any advice on this? And how much should I expect to pay?

thomas_lkt said:
For bulb setting, the shutter will remain open as long as the shutter release button is depressed. Right?
So without a cable release or remote, how do you keep the shutter release depressed?

In the old days of film SLR, if I didn't have a cable release or if the camera body didn't have a cable release socket, I'd use rubber bands to apply pressure on the shutter release button, as long as it protruded out of the button housing and the pressure from a rubber band was enough.

setup up everything (tripod. etc) and the bulb setting with the rubber band, as well as having the lens cap on, and just take extreme precaution to remove the lens cap when you're ready for the shot.

fWord said:

catchlights: Ahh...only $10? That doesn't sound too bad, and I could probably save up that much just by staying in camp for two nights, which I do anyway. :bsmilie: Wish home was a little nearer to camp.

Might as well buy a guard duty to do (not sure army boy still allow do so in these day), than you have more money to buy film and shoot. ;)

fWord said:
Snoweagle: Yes, it's annoying. Sometimes I even wonder why people bother to shine a torchlight over. Isn't it obvious from just the shape that the person is a photographer with a camera on a tripod? :confused: Sometimes people are very kaypoh...I remember meeting up with someone to see his camera. This old man sitting behind the seller shifted his position and started craning his neck to see what we've got. I wanted to ask, "What the hell are you looking at?" But decided to just tolerate the attention and move on.

DeSwitch: Heheh...if I were enterprising enough, it's something I could try, but I don't have the knowledge on how to build one. Care to share a picture of your DIY cable release?

lsisaxon: I was also wondering if there is even ANY place in Singapore where light pollution is low enough to attempt star trails. This is probably something I could only attempt overseas, and even then, only in the right places.
Haven't tried star trails in singapore. I can't open the shutter for more than a minute (digital) before the whole sky is blown. Maybe can try Lim Chu Kang but I think the light pollution is still quite bad. Malaysia looks good. I even had a shot which included Polaris (!!!) which just happens to be visible beside a tree from where I shot.

fWord said:
It's an old film camera, a Canon A-1. There is a little screw thread in the shutter release button for the cable release to screw into.
Yeah.. I missed it (wasn't reading enough) until saw it in someone else's reply to you. You can buy a mechanical release for under $20. It should still be available in established photographic stores (I guess..)

catchlights said:

I'm curious too. This is a manual camera we are talking about.:dunno:

swiftdragon said:
How did u go abt making this cable release? I've got spare earpiece at home and would not mind converting it to a cable release.

there was a link here some time ago. do a search for it and you will find. If i can find it I will post the link.

catchlights said:

Sorry, Thought he was asking a general question on taking bulb exposure without using cable release.

No, I dont think mechanical cable can be made that easily but still not impossible.

KeyserSoze said:
In the old days of film SLR, if I didn't have a cable release or if the camera body didn't have a cable release socket, I'd use rubber bands to apply pressure on the shutter release button, as long as it protruded out of the button housing and the pressure from a rubber band was enough.

setup up everything (tripod. etc) and the bulb setting with the rubber band, as well as having the lens cap on, and just take extreme precaution to remove the lens cap when you're ready for the shot.

Good suggestion. I'll go back and review the contour of the camera when I next get a chance. But from what I remember the button doesn't actually protrude out of its socket.

lsisaxon said:
Haven't tried star trails in singapore. I can't open the shutter for more than a minute (digital) before the whole sky is blown. Maybe can try Lim Chu Kang but I think the light pollution is still quite bad. Malaysia looks good. I even had a shot which included Polaris (!!!) which just happens to be visible beside a tree from where I shot.

:bsmilie: Lim Chu Kang...I'm probably quite near there actually, since my camp is near Yew Tee MRT station. I've had exactly the same problem...can't expose for too long before the sky actually goes a murky brown. And even to expose for 30 seconds at ISO 100, I need to stop down to around f/22, which probably defeats the purpose of trying to capture star trails anyway, since my understanding is that the aperture should be quite wide to capture even the fainter stars.

DeSwitch said:
Sorry, Thought he was asking a general question on taking bulb exposure without using cable release.

No, I dont think mechanical cable can be made that easily but still not impossible.

Going by the sounds of it, the cable release shouldn't be expensive. Maybe I'll just buy one. Have no idea what to look out for, but I'll just post something in the B&S when I next get the chance and something will definitely pop up.

catchlights said:
Might as well buy a guard duty to do (not sure army boy still allow do so in these day), than you have more money to buy film and shoot. ;)

:bsmilie: Oh I'm pretty sure it's still happening. It's certainly not allowed, but who's to stop people from doing it illegally? Heard that the money is really good as well, but I think my weekend is worth a lot more than what people can pay me to take over a guard duty. Saturday morning is especially crucial.

lsisaxon said:
Best is to buy one.

In fact, for prime astrophotography using telescopes, it is quite normal to use a black cardboard over the telescope first, for releasing and closing the shutter because the shutter (and mirror) vibration is significant. The cardboard does not touch the setup at all. This is only possible if you have a dark environment where the cardboard cannot be seen and when you're doing very long exposure where a couple of seconds of exposure do not make much of a difference.

Some cameras cannot hold the shutter open with "bulb" when using the self timer.

Many camera can do mirror lock up, so not necessary to use black card.

And when the exposure is like 5 minutes to hours, slight movement does not matter. in fact, i even move the telescope manually to compensate the tracking error, few seconds of movement does not matter because it is not even 0.1% of a 30min exposure.

A black card is probably useful when there is aeroplane fly by or got some idiot shining torch light at you.

For super long e

fWord said:
Good suggestion. I'll go back and review the contour of the camera when I next get a chance. But from what I remember the button doesn't actually protrude out of its socket.

you can use a small plastic disc which is slightly smaller than shutter release button. Just place the disc on the shutter release button and hold it in place with rubber band or tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.