Build your own Macro ring light!

Status
Not open for further replies.
coincedentally I was thinking about this just before CNY and even did some measurements on the hotshoe to determine the trigger voltage.. this will speed up my project even more! thanks for sharing!!

edit:LEDs did cross my mind by they cannot provide enough power for me. i was hoping it was a strobe-like version.

edit2: came across something else http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/build-your-own-ring-flash.htm

Oooooo
yeah was abt to comment on the power

ur web version looks like a better idea.. argghgh but i am unwilling to spend $90 on off shoe cam cord...
maybe i try to use it with a slave sensor.. less accurate metering but heck you can't beat the price ..

haha yah I share cos I care mah..

Yup the 2nd link's idea is more practical. His shot looks pretty convincing.

For the first his "flash" looks severely underpowered... the shots are barely illuminated, and the fall off occurs after only a few cm!

solarii said:
Yup the 2nd link's idea is more practical. His shot looks pretty convincing.

For the first his "flash" looks severely underpowered... the shots are barely illuminated, and the fall off occurs after only a few cm!
Get a bunch of light pipes and channel the light from the flash to around the lens. You get TTL somemore without any bulky contraption. Works with on camera flash as well as external flash mounted on hotshoe.

lsisaxon said:
Get a bunch of light pipes and channel the light from the flash to around the lens. You get TTL somemore without any bulky contraption. Works with on camera flash as well as external flash mounted on hotshoe.

where to get these light pipes? i presume its fiber optics? are they cheap?

slaam said:
where to get these light pipes? i presume its fiber optics? are they cheap?
Yes, they are fibre optics. I see there are christmas trees that are using them now and there used to be toys which have them. However, I don't know where to get them. Just an idea which popped up and there already are such things for microscrope use but they are very expensive too, so I thought making one ourselves would be cheaper if we can find the light pipes. :)

lsisaxon said:
Yes, they are fibre optics. I see there are christmas trees that are using them now and there used to be toys which have them. However, I don't know where to get them. Just an idea which popped up and there already are such things for microscrope use but they are very expensive too, so I thought making one ourselves would be cheaper if we can find the light pipes. :)

This guy made a light guide. Here's his webpage:

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/macro_light_guide

:thumbsup: Cool .. really a thinker .. just like some PCs leds casing concept

LEDs ring light not bright enough, see my project in my post HERE
I used 20 super bright whiite LEDs and still not bright enough. However I have constant light source.

Status
Not open for further replies.