Build me a new rig, suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lurker

Dec 24, 2004
To buy
CPU : Intel E6750 (should i go to the E8XXX series or quad?)
Mobo : a DS3 variant with firewire and eSata2
GPU : Ati 3850
Ram : 2gb or 4gb KVR ddr667
Hdd: 500gb Sata2 (size of primary hdd will affect overall performance?)
Casing : CM690
PSU : Silverstone Strider ST56F

Recycling
Audio : prodigy 7.1
DVD burners
A few ATA and Sata hdd
Viewsonic 2025W
Aego M 2.1

Pc usage geared towards photo editing, but game occasionally. Barring being future proof, would i see a significant performance boost with a quad core for Photoshop? My budget is about RM3000 give or take

Thanks

cpu,
unless ur software knows how to utilize the processor then a more than 1 processor will show improvement in performance.

MOBO,
get a fast FBS for ram / cpu data transfer, and faster ram compatability i.e. ddr2 1066 ?

ram,
the more the better

gpu,
get a 8800gts :)

psu,
450watts enough

don't think too much about future proof, u will waste more $$ on things/technology u do not need now.

2cents
hardware, an old hobby of mine... i might be a little outdated.

just remember, never get the latest technology, waste $$ and the price drops very fast :p

There's no such thing as "latest technology". It's a sales gimmick widely used by vendors to earn more. :confused:

As mentioned, just get something you need. 8800gts is a good card. ;p

psu,
450watts enough

i dont think 450watts is enough esp with the 8800GTS.
anyway TS wad OS you want to run on? if its vista, you shld read abt the issue it has with 4gb ram. i bought 4gb ram, and vista 32mb has some issues with 4gb, so had to remove 2gb, now got 2 1GB sticks lying on my shelf...

PSU shud play safe and get higher ones.. say at least a 500 W. no harm getting a bit more, and there are many cheap and good PSUs out there. PSUs last long, so can still be used if u upgrade in the future.

i dont think 450watts is enough esp with the 8800GTS.
anyway TS wad OS you want to run on? if its vista, you shld read abt the issue it has with 4gb ram. i bought 4gb ram, and vista 32mb has some issues with 4gb, so had to remove 2gb, now got 2 1GB sticks lying on my shelf...
I think its a matter of 32bit Win rather than just Vista... should be the same for 32bit Win XP as well... for serious photoediting, get more RAM (try 8GB) and a 64bit OS to use it... or can just get a 64bit OS and upgrade RAM in the future...

450 watts isnt enough for the 8800GTS, doesnt it require 600watts? Im on the 8600GT and that needs 450 minimum according to the box.
I'm running the older, thirstier 8800GTS 320 (not the recent update) on a 530W PSU... and its factory OCed at that... no prob so far... I think the recommendations from the box/manual are just rough recommendations and it depends on the output from the various rails from the PSU... according to my manual, it recommends 400W and above...

got a used rig mid march
e6600
4gb ram
7600gs
p65 ds3

now looking at the hd3870 which are dropping in price fast pending the launch of the 4000 series

Status
Not open for further replies.