Buffy Fish Owl @ Pasir Ris Park Mangrove Swamp

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
It's been more than a year since I saw this loner in the swamp... very happy that it is doing well...

#1:
9531766994_f825b221f1_c.jpg

#2: Buffy's attempt at being a turkey... (leaves got in the way and so the colour cast... plus motion blur... sorry)
9531755118_01db87d881_c.jpg

Wow it's back again. Great shot :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nice shots, bro Fai.

#2 somehow makes me think of Yoda. Hmmm...

LIKE!!!! :)

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

wow.. stunning. how long was your lens to capture this fella? owls are a rare sight arent they? pardon me newbie :D

It was shot with my D800E with my Nikkor 300mm f4 and the Nikon 1.7x TC on. ISO-800, f6.7, 1/3 sec. Tripod with my accessory waist bag (about 1+ kg) weighing the tripod down. Cable release with exposure delay of 2 sec. Owners of the 300mm f4 will know this other trick: I wedged a bottle cork in the leg tripod foot to further stabilize the lens. Only possible vibration was from the boardwalk itself but luckily no one else except me and my wife were around. Also, the bird is fairly static and slow moving.

Post-processing in Photoshop: tweak exposure, highlight, shadow, contrast, and vibrancy in RAW conversion as well as sharpen and noise reduce there (forgot the settings I eventually came to). Crop and then using Topaz Remask created two layers - one of the bird, the other of the background. Then whack the background with super high noise reduction using Topaz Denoise 5. For the bird, used Topaz Detail 3 to increase micro-contrast. Sharpen eyes using sharpen brush. Using blur brush remove some noise from the noiser parts. Merge layers and resize. Then tweak curve to enhance separation. One more round of carefully light-handed denoise, and then gentle and slight smart sharpening. I think that was about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheresmycheese
Thanks for the info bro! Really cool that you willing to share your entire work flow.

It was shot with my D800E with my Nikkor 300mm f4 and the Nikon 1.7x TC on. ISO-800, f6.7, 1/3 sec. Tripod with my accessory waist bag (about 1+ kg) weighing the tripod down. Cable release with exposure delay of 2 sec. Owners of the 300mm f4 will know this other trick: I wedged a bottle cork in the leg tripod foot to further stabilize the lens. Only possible vibration was from the boardwalk itself but luckily no one else except me and my wife were around. Also, the bird is fairly static and slow moving.

Post-processing in Photoshop: tweak exposure, highlight, shadow, contrast, and vibrancy in RAW conversion as well as sharpen and noise reduce there (forgot the settings I eventually came to). Crop and then using Topaz Remask created two layers - one of the bird, the other of the background. Then whack the background with super high noise reduction using Topaz Denoise 5. For the bird, used Topaz Detail 3 to increase micro-contrast. Sharpen eyes using sharpen brush. Using blur brush remove some noise from the noiser parts. Merge layers and resize. Then tweak curve to enhance separation. One more round of carefully light-handed denoise, and then gentle and slight smart sharpening. I think that was about it.

Bro Fai... I was reading your sharing on how you post-processed the buffy picture in awe... and then I came to the final sentence, and my jaw dropped to the floor!!! You made it sound like nothing!!!

Humble gentleman, you are. Respect, we must. Thank you, Master Fai.

LIKE!!!! LIKE!!!! LIKE!!!!
:)

Bro Fai... I was reading your sharing on how you post-processed the buffy picture in awe... and then I came to the final sentence, and my jaw dropped to the floor!!! You made it sound like nothing!!!

Humble gentleman, you are. Respect, we must. Thank you, Master Fai.

LIKE!!!! LIKE!!!! LIKE!!!! :)

Thanks Carl... Still trying and erring... Much more to learn.

Bro UncleFai, like the first owl shot very much.
Thank you for your unreserved sharing of all the shooting, setup tweaking & PP details. These are very useful information to amateur like me, for now and in future. Although the PP part is :sweat:! Learning slowly.

Great work there:thumbsup::thumbsup:

eye popping! Great Shot and nice sharing!

thanks!! amazing shots. I will go owl hunting some day. :)