budget uwa lens for d90

L0M0gRaphy

Jun 30, 2010
hi guys , le me going to taipei, taiwan for travel, any good uwa budget lens for d90 to intro for me to get and bring along?

thanks in advance <3

Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 or tamron 10-24.

THese lenses are as budget as they get...

hi guys , le me going to taipei, taiwan for travel, any good uwa budget lens for d90 to intro for me to get and bring along?

thanks in advance <3

How budget is buget? One of the more affordable UWAs is Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6

hmm saw the price online, the sigma is around 800+ and the tamron is around 500+ right?

in terms of like landscape and maybe streets, which one will be more suitable?

hmm saw the price online, the sigma is around 800+ and the tamron is around 500+ right?

in terms of like landscape and maybe streets, which one will be more suitable?

I am not sure of the street pricing nowadays as I do not keep track of prices.

In terms of landscape they are all suitable. In terms of streets, I am not sure how you shoot your streets, so that answer is best answered by yourself.

thanks in advance <3

never get tarmon 10-24, lousy lens that produce soft image,

as for sigma, u may also consider, not a bad lens , performance still better then Tarmon.

As for my number 1 lens is Tokina 11-16.
Get Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 len, Superd lens with wide aperture and sharp image. Was quote for $890 and i gonna get it this coming Sunday for my China trip

Is almost impossible to get UWA lens for $500-600+ in the market right now. at least $800+

well a 2nd handed 12-24 tokina fit your bill.
around 500.
good build and quality.

hi, hmm, say bout 500+ 600+?

possible to get uwa?

Its possible to get a 2nd hand Sigma 10-20mm at this price. Like many here I personally prefer the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, I use it to shoot both street and landscape. However, the Sigma 10-20 is s pretty decent lens too.

never get tarmon 10-24, lousy lens that produce soft image,

as for sigma, u may also consider, not a bad lens , performance still better then Tarmon.

As for my number 1 lens is Tokina 11-16.
Get Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 len, Superd lens with wide aperture and sharp image. Was quote for $890 and i gonna get it this coming Sunday for my China trip

Is almost impossible to get UWA lens for $500-600+ in the market right now. at least $800+

A lens is just a tool. Many reviews say the Tamron 10-24 is crap, but there are photographers who produce much better images with the Tamron 10-24 than people who use Tokina 11-16.

Last edited:
Hong Kong ought to be much cheaper. But I doubt you'll be going there.

brapodam said:
A lens is just a tool. Many reviews say the Tamron 10-24 is crap, but there are photographers who produce much better images with the Tamron 10-24 than people who use Tokina 11-16.

Then wouldn't you want a good tool instead of a lousy one? You might be able to produce a photo which is stunning but you don't want it to be ruined because of poor IQ right?

Sigma 10-20 has good review. Used in BnS going for below $500...

Then wouldn't you want a good tool instead of a lousy one? You might be able to produce a photo which is stunning but you don't want it to be ruined because of poor IQ right?

But I don't think the Tamron 10-24 is as bad as the reviews make it up to be.

just spend a bit more and get the tokina 11-16. in the end you will likely use your lens for a number of years.

just spend a bit more and get the tokina 11-16. in the end you will likely use your lens for a number of years.

It's dangerous to say that the 11-16 is the best UWA out there. It's probably the UWA with the best image quality, but that doesn't mean it's the best UWA. There are many other things to consider, like price (10-20/10-24), distortion control, how wide you need (8, 10, 11, 12), whether you need more range (10-24/12-24)

Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, however, really strike a balance between cost, quality and uniqueness across the board of DX UWA.
Why bros here recommend this lens has many reasons. I can name a few:
- The largest aperture UWA in DX range. Don't say you don't need it because if given at similar price, the larger aperture the better for many other reasons.
- One of the best built UWA in the DX range. Maybe lose to Nikon 12-24mm but not too far behind.
- Widest usable focal length on FX bodies. I don't think any other lens able to beat the 16mm mark.
- Affordable medium price: Lows sigma 10-20, tamron 10-24 & tamron 11-18mm (< $700) | Medium Tokina 12-24 & 11-16mm ($750 to $900) | High original OEM lenses. Generally > $1k

it depends on how much is your budget. if you do have more, then you go for the high original OEM ones.

for me, i just bought mine Sigma 10-20mm f4 -5.6 from TK > 700. when i travel to Taiwan, i m doing more on street photography and i m using tamron 17-55 f2.8 and i m very happy with it. i bought a UWA to try for my upcoming trip

Tokina 11-16 F/2.8, however, really strike a balance between cost, quality and uniqueness across the board of DX UWA.
Why bros here recommend this lens has many reasons. I can name a few:
- The largest aperture UWA in DX range. Don't say you don't need it because if given at similar price, the larger aperture the better for many other reasons.
- One of the best built UWA in the DX range. Maybe lose to Nikon 12-24mm but not too far behind.
- Widest usable focal length on FX bodies. I don't think any other lens able to beat the 16mm mark.
- Affordable medium price: Lows sigma 10-20, tamron 10-24 & tamron 11-18mm (< $700) | Medium Tokina 12-24 & 11-16mm ($750 to $900) | High original OEM lenses. Generally > $1k

I chose the Tokina 12-24 over the 11-16, knowing fully well that I'm losing that max aperture and the slightly better IQ. I prefer the more flexible zoom range of the 12-24. I didn't choose it because of the price.