Budget travel in Japan - tips and info thread

Very sad news indeed. A must-stop for me every time when in tokyo.

hi hi, is 7 days in Tokyo enough for street photography? how big is the city? 3 times of Singapore?

Central Tokyo can be covered in seven days grossly, but not in depth... Eg, you could wait a week in Shinjuku for the perfect shot or Odaiba rainbow bridge for the right sunset for a week..
avoid rush hour so you have more space for street shots..

hi hi, is 7 days in Tokyo enough for street photography? how big is the city? 3 times of Singapore?

Very big, esp. If you venture to the surrounding suburbs.
7 days is enough to cover quite a few key places, but its scratching the surface for whole of Tokyo.

I just did a 1wk walkabout in Jul.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297578

Did street photography in the late mornings and afternoons.

GST in Japan is going up to 8%:
http://business.asiaone.com/news/japan-raise-sales-tax-cushion-blow-stimulus-final-draft

Remember to show your passport and claim GST ... you can do it on the spot for large purchases:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/ttp/sg/09-TouristAttractions/MediumIndex/07-Shopping/E-Tax-fre.html

[h=3]Tax-Free Shopping[/h] Overseas visitors in Japan with temporary status who spend more than 10,001yen on any given day in one shop are entitled to a refund of the 5% consumption tax. Only department stores and specialty shops used to dealing with foreign tourists offer the refund, and clients must show their passports. No refund is granted for cosmetics, food, alcohol, cigarettes, medicine, film and batteries, which include the consumption tax in their price tag.

GST in Japan is going up to 8%:
http://business.asiaone.com/news/japan-raise-sales-tax-cushion-blow-stimulus-final-draft

Remember to show your passport and claim GST ... you can do it on the spot for large purchases:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/ttp/sg/09-TouristAttractions/MediumIndex/07-Shopping/E-Tax-fre.html

[h=3]Tax-Free Shopping[/h] Overseas visitors in Japan with temporary status who spend more than 10,001yen on any given day in one shop are entitled to a refund of the 5% consumption tax. Only department stores and specialty shops used to dealing with foreign tourists offer the refund, and clients must show their passports. No refund is granted for cosmetics, food, alcohol, cigarettes, medicine, film and batteries, which include the consumption tax in their price tag.

thanks for the info.

btw, any idea is their camera gear international warranty ?

Is it worth it to buy Sigma Lenses in Japan or would the price be the same as here in Singapore?

Is it worth it to buy Sigma Lenses in Japan or would the price be the same as here in Singapore?

Give MapCamera a try if you don't mind 2nd hand.
Super service and they will even point out the defect (not like anywhere else where they pretend that there is none :D )

better go now before Tsukiji fish market closes for relocation.

Hi,
Would like to chk if anyone tried getting mobile data sim at any Japan airport?
Did a Google search and found a couple companies selling. Would like to hear from u guys if there is any problem.

I'll be bringing my own mifi so unlimited will be best for the 7 days for the family.
Thanks!

I didn't chk and buy a data card at narita airport thinking I can get it in shinjuku area but I was wrong.. softbank, docomo, yodobashi or 7-11 don't hv it so we hv to rely on the wifi at the hotels during the nights.. can't even find diapers ard tokyo.. weird. bring along a mini router as some hotels charge for wifi but not lan.

You can buy this prepaid data sim online and get it delivered to any JP hotel or self-pickup at the airport

Hi,
Would like to chk if anyone tried getting mobile data sim at any Japan airport?
Did a Google search and found a couple companies selling. Would like to hear from u guys if there is any problem.

I'll be bringing my own mifi so unlimited will be best for the 7 days for the family.
Thanks!

No SIM card in Jpn without a mailing address.
Everywhere it seems that wifi needs some sort of login.

There are companies renting mobile phones at the airport, but too expensive for me to even consider.

User1234 above seems to have a solution.

i think you can try b-mobile. It's a prepaid sim card service also.

No SIM card in Jpn without a mailing address.
Everywhere it seems that wifi needs some sort of login.

There are companies renting mobile phones at the airport, but too expensive for me to even consider.

User1234 above seems to have a solution.

"Our SIM card does not support phone call and SMS.
It is prohibited by law to provide SIM card with phone number to short-term travelers in Japan for security reason.
You can still use VoIP apps such as Skype, WhatsApp, LINE, Viber, etc for calling.
Standard speed limited SIM and WiFi-To-Go (except 300K plan) support those VoIP apps. "

Got it sorted out. Found a 15gb data card for 7 days. It's from Hong Kong Unicorn called Sakura card. Can find them on ebay or taobao. Or u can get someone from Hk to buy for u. It's less than $50 for it.

Another provider for rental of sim card and mifi

heading there in March, probably going to go offline haha.

there is free Wifi at JR train stations.