Budget STudio Eqpt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vince123123

Hi guys!! Would like some recommendation from STudio Gurus about what eqpt is good n cheap n value for money when it comes to setting up a home studio. The studio will be primarily used for portraits, both full length and half body/closeups.

Need some recommendations in terms of flash heads, softboxes, backgrounds, stands, light meter etc etc...best is got model number n approx prices n key features (such as having stepless variable power for flash heads etc)

Hopefully the total wont exceed $2k, but if the quality of the eqpt justifies it, it can go beyond :)

Thanks!!

Hi vince123123,

I have used elinchrom 500 studio lights. They are basically monoblocks so no powerpacks are needed.

For price, try to watch out for the special promotion at Cathay Photo. Very good value. But they have it from time to time and you got to catch it.

I bought mine at approx. $1.8k with some free carrying bag two years ago. Their last offer was pretty good too. With two 500w lights, hard carry case & umbrellas I think. HEard that it was a offer by Elinchrom.

You can talk to the 2 friendly guys at CP for a demo and features.
One of them is Steven. Can't remember the other guy's name.
I talk to them and learnt quite a lot from them. They also have experience with studio lights so not the usual salesman talk.

For Bowens, you have to go to Ruby. They also have promotions from for the studio lights. According to a friend of mine, Bowens are cheaper to buy initially but accessories are more expensivë.
But I have no personal experience to comment.

Some features of the Elinchrom 500 - stepless control, no auto dumping.

Bowens - stepless control, auto dumping ( I think ) , has a beeper sound when flash is ready.

Recommendations
For full length shots, you will need a 9ft backdrop. For portraits, half body, close-ups you could do with a 5ft backdrop depending on the focal length of the lens that you are using.
9ft -approx. S$110/pc
5ft- approx. S$50+/pc
You will need to budget in the stands also. aro. $250.

You will need at least a soft box and an umbrella. Others can be added depending on the effect you want. A set of grids ( 4 sizes) can cost up to $500+.

You can get a basic flash light meter like the Sekonic 328. $300. Or a Polaris.

Whew!

Regards.

[

Can i confirm that by auto-dumping, you are referring to the flash head discharging the excess 'juice' in the capacitor when u switch from a higher 1/1 to lets say 1/32?

Also what does "four grids" mean?

thanks!

Originally posted by dreamseeker
Hi vince123123,

I have used elinchrom 500 studio lights. They are basically monoblocks so no powerpacks are needed.

For price, try to watch out for the special promotion at Cathay Photo. Very good value. But they have it from time to time and you got to catch it.

I bought mine at approx. $1.8k with some free carrying bag two years ago. Their last offer was pretty good too. With two 500w lights, hard carry case & umbrellas I think. HEard that it was a offer by Elinchrom.

You can talk to the 2 friendly guys at CP for a demo and features.
One of them is Steven. Can't remember the other guy's name.
I talk to them and learnt quite a lot from them. They also have experience with studio lights so not the usual salesman talk.

For Bowens, you have to go to Ruby. They also have promotions from for the studio lights. According to a friend of mine, Bowens are cheaper to buy initially but accessories are more expensivë.
But I have no personal experience to comment.

Some features of the Elinchrom 500 - stepless control, no auto dumping.

Bowens - stepless control, auto dumping ( I think ) , has a beeper sound when flash is ready.

Recommendations
For full length shots, you will need a 9ft backdrop. For portraits, half body, close-ups you could do with a 5ft backdrop depending on the focal length of the lens that you are using.
9ft -approx. S$110/pc
5ft- approx. S$50+/pc
You will need to budget in the stands also. aro. $250.

You will need at least a soft box and an umbrella. Others can be added depending on the effect you want. A set of grids ( 4 sizes) can cost up to $500+.

You can get a basic flash light meter like the Sekonic 328. $300. Or a Polaris.

Whew!

Regards.

[

Hi vince123123,

Your definition of auto-dumping is correct. For me, whether the flash head has this feature is not important. I always meter again when I power down the flash.

Sorry about the grids. What I meant was a honeycomb with 4 different sizes of grids. ie. fine, medium, coarse.

I have to agree with astin on that physical size of the studio matters. That's why I said that depending on the focal length of the lens you use. If you use a long lens, you might not be able to shoot full body shots if the studio is small.

If you like to know/learn more, you could also join a studio photo shoot before investing.

Cheers.

you mean the thing which is inside the softbox which helps to difufse the light further is it? by coarse med fine i assume umean the size of the holes? coarse less difussion?

hehe
paiseh i studio newbie :p

From a book i read, the honeycomb helps to 'directionalise' the light, instead of allowing it to 'spill' out sideways, up, & down too much. The coarseness is to adjust the amount of light getting through. Very fine honeycombs let very light through.

Correct me if I misunderstood... I also studio virgin.:D

I mean fine honeycombs let very little light through...

Something like a snoot, but not as great an effect of 'pointing' the light.

HI vince123123,

Please check the following website for the honeycomb. There is a picture of it there. It is not the screen/diffuser inside softbox.

http://www.bowensinternational.com/pages/framesetaccessories.html

TO know more about the lights features, check out the elinchrom and bowens web site.

http://www.elinchrom.com

http://www.bowensinternational.com/pages/framesetaccessories.html

Some studio article for your interest.

http://www.photo.net/studio/primer.html

Hope that answers your questions. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.