Brining tripod overseas,handcarry or check in?

Brining tripod overseas,hand carry or check in

Results are only viewable after voting.

During one of my trips to Europe I checked in my Manfroto 190XB placed inside my luggage and covered with several layers of clothes. When I was about to use it one leg can not be pulled out because of a big dent in one of the legs:cry:

After the incident, I would normally hand carry my tripod in a well padded tripod container with a huge "Fragile!!! Please Handle with Care" sign just in case I need to check it in.

During check-in, ask the counter staff whether the tripod can be hand carried into the cabin. But prepare a space in the check-in luggage just in case they disallow.
I have friends who were told to check in tripods. But sometimes they could hand carry into the cabin. So it boils down to luck!!!!
Cheers.
LEW

Hand carry, my tripod is about almost 1 meter length compact mode.

Check in my tripod with my luggage. Dun see any possible harm that can happen to them. Cant say the same for the camera though. Tripod is too bulky to carry on board. I travel budget airline ;p

Same thinking too. ;)

I use Travel tripod, and carry it in together with camera gear in backpack ...

i suggest you check in by itself, coz thats what happened to me when i travelled overseas 4X, i was supposed to handcarry it but aircrew staffs dont want.

My last tripod came back in pieces after I checked it in. When I went to buy tripod this time, I made sure it will fit in my hand carry luggage. Not easy though, it can only fit when placed diagonally and with ballhead removed.

Did the airline re-reimburse you for your damaged tripod?

On a recent trip to Canada which had stops in Tokyo and New York, I stored my tripod into my checked luggage and had no problem. But by reading these posts, it seems like a gamble to check-in a tripod.

I hand-carried my tripod while traveling around in the states in domestic flights. I do not have a checked-in bag. THe customs just let the tripod go thru without any questions asked.

i think bringing hand luggage for you stuff is okay.

however, never try to take picture of the aircraft no matter how tempting.

i almost got arrested for once. cha yi dian dian can go overseas.

Sorry to ask...but has anyone hand carry a tripod on Jetstar plane on a trip to Myanmar?

check in conspermed...;p:sweatsm:

check in conspermed...;p:sweatsm:

Tks for yr reply.....My airfare dont include check-in luggage, so I dont want to spend $40(2 way) to bring my tripod($70):faint:....Not worth:cry:

Sorry to ask...but has anyone hand carry a tripod on Jetstar plane on a trip to Myanmar?

Nt sure if it helps..

On my recent trip to Taipei via Jetstar, on the way over i check in my tripod as there's free space in luggage but on the trip back, i hand-carry it(Strap to the side of my camera gear backpack) without any issue.

I was asked to checked in before. They were worried I use it as a weapon to hijack the plane which is nonsense of course since I've carried 6 bottles of anesthetic gas on board before.. enough to put the whole plane to sleep.. LOL.

.... :sweat:

which airline do you usually take? remind me not to take the same airline.

more than 10,000 views on this topic alone......... should we make this a sticky thread ?

more than 10,000 views on this topic alone......... should we make this a sticky thread ?

i support that.. for those who own expensive tripod and are not rich, this topic really matters...

I usually travel like 2 times per year and I always hand carry my tripod with me. No issue about it and no one has warned or stopped me from carrying it.

i travel 7-8 times per year...hehehe
and i always put in my luggage...even i check in or not..
(i always bring my cabin size baggage + camera backpack)
i got 1 time the stewardess didnt allow me to bring my backpack with tripod attached to the cabin...so..i always put my tripod into my luggage since that time.

*just my 2 cents*

i think bringing hand luggage for you stuff is okay.

however, never try to take picture of the aircraft no matter how tempting.

i almost got arrested for once. cha yi dian dian can go overseas.

On my recent trips from this past summer, I took several photos of airplanes at various airports in Asia, North America and Europe. I was not bothered by anyone. I even took a few photos inside an aircraft.

I didn't know that you could get into trouble for this! :dunno: