Bringing Camera Oversea Need Dry Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
go to a weather website and check the relative humidity of the city/country you're going to. if higher than 50% can consider dry box/silica gel/whatever.

if the travelling time is not too long.. like maybe 1-2 weeks, i usually bring along a few packets of thristy hippo and place it inside my camera bag. works wonder! ^^ if not, hotel does provide safe for important document... u can always leave ur cam inside the safe, with the thirsty hippo!

Really, if you are so afraid of fungus growing in your lens, the only solution is to keep your camera in the dy box or dry cabinet forever.

Now, a slight problem, you won't be able to use your camera if it forever in the dry box.

At the end of the day, if you are using the equipment, the chances of fungus growth is greatly reduced.

Other ways to avoid fungus growth are to never travel to humid locations, leave Singapore, give up photography ...

At the end of the day, don't worry about Australia. Just bring your camera and shoot. My lenses and cameras survived many places wetter than Singapore. Wipe them down every evening, keep them in an airy location, and enjoy the trip. Or, leave the camera at home in the dry box!

Really, if you are so afraid of fungus growing in your lens, the only solution is to keep your camera in the dy box or dry cabinet forever.

Now, a slight problem, you won't be able to use your camera if it forever in the dry box.

At the end of the day, if you are using the equipment, the chances of fungus growth is greatly reduced.

Other ways to avoid fungus growth are to never travel to humid locations, leave Singapore, give up photography ...

At the end of the day, don't worry about Australia. Just bring your camera and shoot. My lenses and cameras survived many places wetter than Singapore. Wipe them down every evening, keep them in an airy location, and enjoy the trip. Or, leave the camera at home in the dry box!

Well said :)

Actually, fungus grows very slowly. Like weeks to months (of course depends which fungus). And worst case if you really suay kena, just bring it in, it can be cleaned especially if you detect it early.

What are u there for anyway? Should not be any problem in Japan. For the rest, maybe you can check the avg relative humidity.

holiday and attend wedding

go to a weather website and check the relative humidity of the city/country you're going to. if higher than 50% can consider dry box/silica gel/whatever.

which weather site is recommeded?

hi, actually i am very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post!
am looking to get the D90 for my first DSLR camera.. was realli reading on dry cabinets when i bumped onto this thread.

am a bit confused... when u guys go fungus fungus, does it grow in the camera body or the lens?

and also, as i'm a first timer, do you tink i need a electronic dry cabinet? or i am jolly well off with a regular air tight box which i see at carrefour or what
with some silica gels?

actually, what's the optimum temperature for the fungus to grow, anyone?

Well I'm in Melb now and i dun see a need for a dry cabinet, I hardly see them on sale here too.

thats a good one... its true.. in fact do u noe its so hard to even buy one there... haha..

what about japan, hongkong and philipines? i will be going for about 1 month

check the average RH of the county in question and compare that with the range of RH you intend to keep you gear. If the climate is higher, you should consider a dry cabinet.

hi, actually i am very new to this forum, in fact this is my first post!
am looking to get the D90 for my first DSLR camera.. was realli reading on dry cabinets when i bumped onto this thread.

am a bit confused... when u guys go fungus fungus, does it grow in the camera body or the lens?

and also, as i'm a first timer, do you tink i need a electronic dry cabinet? or i am jolly well off with a regular air tight box which i see at carrefour or what
with some silica gels?

Fungus grows on nearly anything...bread, shoes, wallet, etc, so which means your camera and lenses are targets.

It is definitely worth the while to get a dry box/cabinet due to Singapore's high levels of humidity, which is very conducive for fungus growth. That's why in temperate countries, most people don't even bother.

If you're serious about photography, then I'd suggest that getting a electronic one will be ideal because the humidity levels are automatically regulated. But it's all down to your budget really.

Status
Not open for further replies.