Brazilian Churrascaria restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicknick

Apr 13, 2005
Hougang
Anyone tried Carnivore at Vivo before?

Thinking of going there for weekday lunch, but is there a lot of any difference between the lunch and dinner menu? Cause lunch seems a lot cheaper [idea]

******************************************************************************************
[image]http://wineanddine.asiaone.com/a1media/wdu/09Sep07/20070918.165615_st_meatyjoints1_350x175.jpg[/image]
[image]http://wineanddine.asiaone.com/a1media/wdu/09Sep07/20070918.171623_st_meatyjoints_vibe_350x175.jpg[/image]
Meaty Joints
Huang Lijie
Sun, Sep 16, 2007
The Sunday Times

WHEN researcher Connie Ng craves meat, she makes a beeline for Carnivore, an all-you-can-eat buffet restaurant serving Brazilian-style barbecued meats at VivoCity.

The restaurant is one of at least eight churrascarias - or Brazilian-style steakhouses - here, which are becoming increasingly popular.

In the last year alone, three such buffet outlets have sprung up with two more in the pipeline next year.

'The huge variety of meats on the menu is a definite draw. But what I like about dining at a churrascaria is that the buffet comes to my table and I don't have to jostle at a buffet counter,' says Ms Ng, 32.

In churrascarias (pronounced shoo-hus-ka-REE-ahs in Portuguese), trained waiters go from table to table with long skewers of barbecued meats - beef, pork, chicken and lamb - which they carve onto diners' plates.

The waiters called passadores (pah-sah-DOR-es) bring a new type of meat to each table every few minutes.

Churrascarias here offer between six and 16 types of barbecued meats, including seafood such as fish. The various cuts of beef - typically the rump, hump, tenderloin and topside - however, remain the highlight and are usually imported from Brazil.

Another common feature is the salad bar, which serves an array of greens and hot stews.

When Mr David Gabriel opened Brazil Churrascaria, the first of its kind here in 1994, he never doubted that there were enough meat lovers to sustain the business.

'My target customers were the Singaporeans who had grown up with Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonald's and were ready for a big meat restaurant,' says the 63-year-old.

Customers at these restaurants, though, are not just athletes on a high-protein diet, hungry national servicemen or growing teenagers with voracious appetites.

Mr K.K. Ng, 41, group general manager of Carnivore, which opened its first outlet in Chijmes in 2004, says the churrascaria counts among its customers at VivoCity families with children as well as senior citizens.

Indeed, the demand for a novel dining concept and a meat-centred buffet was what prompted the opening of other churrascarias.

Mr James Lian, 35, partner of three-year-old Samba Brazilian Steakhouse Churrascaria in Katong Village, says: 'I'd eaten at churrascarias in Singapore and I found the style of service refreshing, and offering value for money. These factors convinced me that there was room in the market for another player.'

Churrascaria offerings here, however, adapt to the local palate.

Vibe restaurant at Negara in Claymore hotel in Claymore Road, which offers churrasco for dinner, serves char siew, Chinese honey grilled pork and a salmon sashimi spread.

Brazil Churrascaria uses Australian rather than Brazilian beef, as its customers prefer the less gamey taste of the former.

Mr Carlos Brian Pheysey, 40, a trade adviser at the Embassy of Brazil, who has eaten at six of the churrascarias here, says the restaurants make a serious effort to emulate what is offered in Brazil, but laments that the meat served here is not cooked as rare as that in Brazil, which 'leaves blood on the dinner plate'.

That said, business has been good for the eight churrascarias LifeStyle interviewed.

Brazil Churrascaria, which cost about $1 million to set up, boasts an annual 40 to 50 per cent return on investment.

And just last month, Gabriel opened Seven On Club in Club Street, which offers both the full churrasco and an a la carte Mediterranean menu.

Similarly, Carnivore at Chijmes recovered its start-up cost of $200,000 within just three months.

General manager Mr Ng believes that its outlet in VivoCity, which opened last November at more than $1 million, will do the same by the end of this year.

The popularity of the churrascarias is evident from the 30-minute to hour-long waits for walk-in diners at most of the restaurants during peak hours.

This positive reception has fuelled expansion plans.

Mr Gabriel is looking to open another outlet in the East Coast area next year while Carnivore is setting up two more branches in the next two years.

Where to go for Churrascarias

CHURRASCARIAS owe their origins to the cattle drivers of southern Brazil many centuries ago. They sustained themselves in the wild by slaughtering cattle and roasting them on a spit over an open fire.

Below are eight churrascarias here.

Brazil Churrascaria (right)
14/16 Sixth Avenue, Tel: 6463-1923

Open: 6 to 10.30pm daily

Price: $38++, $16++ (children) for 14 churrasco meats and seafood

Seven on Club
7 Club Street, Tel: 6327-9663

Open: 11.30am to 2.30pm (lunch, Mondays to Fridays), 6.30 to 10.30pm (dinner, Mondays to Saturdays)

Price: Lunch - $28++ , $16++ (children) for six churrasco meats; Dinner - $38++, $16++ (children) for 14 churrasco meats and seafood

Carnivore
30 Victoria Street, 01-29A, Chijmes, Tel: 6334-9332

Open: 6 to 10pm (Sundays to Thursdays), 6 to 10.30pm (Fridays, Saturdays and public holidays)

Price: $39++, $19++ (children) for 13 churrasco meats

1 HarbourFront Walk, 01-161/162, VivoCity, Tel: 6376-9939

Open: 11.30am to 3pm (lunch), 5.30 to 10pm (dinner)

Price: Lunch - $25++ (weekdays), $29++ (weekends), $15++ (children aged five to 11) for nine churrasco meats; Dinner - $37++ (weekdays), $39++ (weekends), $19++ (children aged five to 11) for 13 churrasco meats and seafood

Brazilian Churrascaria by Mamma Lucia (right)
11 Unity Street, Robertson Walk, 01-03/04, Tel: 6734-9445

Open: 6 to 10.45pm daily

Price: $38++, $19++ (12 to 16 years old; free for those below 12) for 16 churrasco meats and seafood

Samba Brazilian Steakhouse Churrascaria
86 East Coast Road, 01-39 Katong Village, Tel: 6348-8406

Open: 11.30am to 2.30pm (lunch), 6 to 10.30pm (dinner) daily

Price: Lunch - weekdays $13.80+, $6+ (children) for six churrasco meats, Brunch (weekends) - $22+, $11+ (children) for 10 to 11 churrasco meats; Dinner - Mondays to Thursdays $30+, $15+ (children) for 12 to 14 churrasco meats, Fridays to Sundays $32+, $16+ (children) for 14 to 16 churrasco meats

Rio Brazilian Restaurant
60 Jalan Penjara, Queenstown Club; Tel: 6474-7473

Open: 6.30 to 10.30pm daily (churrasco buffet)

Price: $25.90++ for six churrasco meats and seafood; $33.90++ for 11 churrasco meats and seafood; $12.90++ (children aged six to 12), free for those below six

Vibe (main head picture)
10 Claymore Road, Negara on Claymore; Tel: 6831-6686

Open: 6.30 to 10.30pm daily

Price: $42++, $26++ (children) for 14 churrasco meats and seafood

i have to admit i have only gone to the carnivore at chijmes for dinner.
what impressed mi was the salad spread, very good for a meat place.
i love the meats especially the fatty cuts fo beef n mutton.
i avoid more common meats like chicken n sausages, save space in the tummy.
some ppl i recommend there say its quite salty, quite true.
ppl who can handle it, have nothing but praises, going for round after round.

i just went to the one at 6th ave a while back and i find that the standard has been dropping over the years. before, there used to be better cuts and the meat used to be more moist. the last time i went, the beef and mutton was a little too dry...

i have to admit i have only gone to the carnivore at chijmes for dinner.
what impressed mi was the salad spread, very good for a meat place.
i love the meats especially the fatty cuts fo beef n mutton.
i avoid more common meats like chicken n sausages, save space in the tummy.
some ppl i recommend there say its quite salty, quite true.
ppl who can handle it, have nothing but praises, going for round after round.

i just went to the one at 6th ave a while back and i find that the standard has been dropping over the years. before, there used to be better cuts and the meat used to be more moist. the last time i went, the beef and mutton was a little too dry...

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I also read in some other forums some people complain Carnivore is too salty and no flavor in the meat. That's why now I may not go to carnivore, and go to try some of the others. May try Samba, seems like cheapest.

samba, the one at east coast.. 6th ave no matter how bad is still a notch above samba. i found samba a little to messy, service was slow and there were too passadores walking around.

samba, the one at east coast.. 6th ave no matter how bad is still a notch above samba. i found samba a little to messy, service was slow and there were too passadores walking around.

I avoid Samba totally as the service sucks. The very first time I was their for lunch, My friend and I are the first in queue but were totally ignored. The attendent went on to serve someone who came later but had a reservation. I understand that they have to give the table to them, but we were there first and she did not even anknowledge us,and it was only during lunch. And there were also many empty tables....

We did not even eat there....

I avoid Samba totally as the service sucks. The very first time I was their for lunch, My friend and I are the first in queue but were totally ignored. The attendent went on to serve someone who came later but had a reservation. I understand that they have to give the table to them, but we were there first and she did not even anknowledge us,and it was only during lunch. And there were also many empty tables....

our family went to Carnivore for dinner recently and found that it's over-hype. The meats were all too dry and salty (only the fish was nice) and we end up eating more from their salad spread. Service wise, also nothing to rave about. If you want a restaurant in Vivocity, I'd rather recommend the 'GO INDIA' restaurant few doors away for their buffet lunch which I think it's reasonably priced at only S$20++ per head. We had ala carte dinner there once and found the food above average. They serve North Indian Cuisine. ;)

our family went to Carnivore for dinner recently and found that it's over-hype. The meats were all too dry and salty (only the fish was nice) and we end up eating more from their salad spread. Service wise, also nothing to rave about. If you want a restaurant in Vivocity, I'd rather recommend the 'GO INDIA' restaurant few doors away for their buffet lunch which I think it's reasonably priced at only S$20++ per head. We had ala carte dinner there once and found the food above average. They serve North Indian Cuisine. ;)

Thanks for feedback.

I read on internet review which says Carnivore apply only rock salt to the meat before grilling, so that you taste the natural flavour of the meat. I guess that explains the extreme saltiness. Not suitable for Singapore tastebuds I guess.

I was walking pass Samba yesterday around 645pm, seems rather quiet for Sat dinner time. A nice Brazilian man was at the door and happily gave me an introduction to the menu even though I told him I am not there to eat. Got a namecard, he's the chief passador.

Status
Not open for further replies.