Brahminy Kite (Haliastur intermedius Blyth)

dolina

Jan 21, 2010
4865406467_169c285aca_b.jpg

EXIF

The Brahminy Kite (Haliastur intermedius Blyth), also known as the Red-backed Sea-eagle, is a medium-sized bird of prey in the family Accipitridae, which also includes many other diurnal raptors such as eagles, buzzards and harriers. They are found in the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia and Australia. They are found mainly on the coast and in inland wetlands where it feeds on dead fish and other prey. Adults have a reddish brown plumage and a contrasting white head and breast which makes them easy to distinguish from other birds of prey but immatures can be confused with a buzzard.

The Brahminy Kite is distinctive and contrastingly coloured, with chestnut plumage except for the white head and breast and black wing tips. The juveniles are browner, but can be distinguished from both the resident and migratory races of Black Kite in Asia by the paler appearance, shorter wings and rounded tail. The pale patch on the underwing carpal region is of a squarish shape and separated from Buteo buzzards.

The Brahminy Kite is about the same size as the Black Kite and has a typical kite flight, with wings angled, but its tail is rounded unlike the Milvus species, Red Kite and Black Kite, which have forked tails. The two genera are however very close.

The call is a mewing keeyew

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahminy_Kite

Nice shot! :) :thumbsup: Sharp & good details ;)

:thumbsup: with explanation too....learn something new. :bsmilie:

Nice . . . especially with details of the bird . . .

Care to share how you catch this bird . . . (sorry, i a bit too much, haha!)
Cos it is like at eye level. :)

thank martian, limited and weegk

weegk the bird was shot near sunset time and it was flying to my east. The angle was about 45 degrees up and the kit was banking towards my direction. Hence the eye level and nice illumination. Just wish it wasnt a cloudy day

4866054168_aabd3a9948_b.jpg

EXIF

wow . . . the #2 better still . . . i love the feathers.
So nice . . . :)

Hai . . . i can only shoot dragonfly. Haha!!!

Thanks!

4868193536_fa00e12585_b.jpg
'

EXIF

4868580542_553bfae387_b.jpg

EXIF

Really wish the sky was not overcast and the bird was not back lit.

But I do find the backlit shot nice. The feathers showed up pretty good. Great BIF! :thumbsup:

Nice capture :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great capture. :thumbsup: