Bouncing flash - do we zoom the flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
I'm quite a newbie to external flash and would like to hear your views. Bouncing off ceiling is to create a bigger light source and spread the light more evenly. But do we zoom in the flash and increase the light coverage or use as wide an angle as the flash allows (or even using a diffuser)?

Originally posted by mpenza
could I say that zooming would be useful only if the ceiling is further away (e.g. 5m)?

In that case, unless your flash is powerful enough, or your film is fast enough, you might not get enough light regardless.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Silverelf
Gee... I don't understand what is zooming in the flash. can anyone explain?

like the lens, when u zoom in, u r taking a tighter shot of the scene in front of u.

same goes for the flash, it zooms in just like the lens so that it can concentrate the power of the beam to a smaller area.

cheers. :cool:

So you mean the beam spread can be controlled? Is it all flashes or just some types only??

Thanks!!

Originally posted by Silverelf
So you mean the beam spread can be controlled? Is it all flashes or just some types only??

Thanks!!

yups that is right. i know tat majority of the mid range mounted External flashes do have this feature. Some of them (high end models) have manual controls where u can set the zoom from 24mm to 105mm.

:gbounce: :gbounce: :gbounce:

Status
Not open for further replies.