Bounce card vs Omni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo...

May 19, 2005
Sembawang
Hi,
When I am using my external canon speedlite 420ex, Mostly I will get over expose
although I set to Tv (1/250 at around 10am to 3pm, and 1/80 at late afternoon), ISO50.
Object taken about around 2-3 meter away from me, outdoor.
I was told that no need to be worried when using speedlite (never get over expose) as
TTL flash is smart enought to control exposure therefore I bought this 2nd hand 420ex (no money to buy new set) but ... :(

My other friend told me to use either omni or bounce card where can help.
Which one can be recommended ? and what are the differences ?
direct fire when use omni or tilted when use bounce card ? or other method ?
or Did I use wrong setting ?

Pls give your advice or share your experience.
Rgds: Boo

Boo... said:
Hi,
When I am using my external canon speedlite 420ex, Mostly I will get over expose
although I set to Tv (1/250 at around 10am to 3pm, and 1/80 at late afternoon), ISO50.
Object taken about around 2-3 meter away from me, outdoor.
I was told that no need to be worried when using speedlite (never get over expose) as
TTL flash is smart enought to control exposure therefore I bought this 2nd hand 420ex (no money to buy new set) but ... :(

or Did I use wrong setting ?

Pls give your advice or share your experience.
Rgds: Boo

opps ...
Over expose when taken indoor and outdoor

Boo... said:
opps ...
Over expose when taken indoor and outdoor
How do you know it is over expose?

I hope you know how to review and check the histogram.

Regards,
Arto.

Ya...from Camera histogram and also after downloaded to my PC

Boo... said:
Hi,
or Did I use wrong setting

Depending on the situation and location. I use both (I suggest that you try both). I use the omni-bounce more though.

I have created custom curves for both devices.

Certain situations are better used with omnibounce. For portraiture, a bounce card is better.

Hi Boo!

In the past, I used to ask myself the very same question about what sort of diffuser to use. I only got around the different effects by shooting and practising with various flash techniques. Perhaps this link could help you out a little: http://www.pbase.com/scottbergerphoto/diffuser_test
(courtesy of Scott Berger)

Note that the conditions used in those pictures are indoors. Much of what results from different diffusers depends on the distance to the four walls and the ceiling, as well as the existing light in the scene.

Hi Snoweagle and point blue,
Thank you so much for sharing.
It is good input to me to try as newbie in photography.

Boo... said:
Hi Snoweagle and point blue,
Thank you so much for sharing.
It is good input to me to try as newbie in photography.

No probs, i also experimented it when i first started out. :)

i realise that sometimes the bounce card isnt that effective...

in the end, i went to get my omni bounce....

An omni will use more power to achieve similar exposure compared to a bounce card... Bounce card simply reflect some of the light going "up" to the front while omni actually diffuses the light in all directions, thus using more power. Hope u understand wat i mean... Hard to explain in words... Ang moh poor;p

I have searched through CS on bounce cards and found that many of the bounce cards are straight piece of card attached perpendicular to the flash surface, except some like the flip-it which can change the angle.

Are these 90degree bounce card used only with ceiling bounce? if not how could they bounce enough light if it's an open space?

zcwnfx said:
i realise that sometimes the bounce card isnt that effective...

in the end, i went to get my omni bounce....

I've tried my jusBounce bounce card on further objects in a dimly lit indoor theatre (approx. 5m away) and the subject turns out to be underexposed.

UandMe said:
Are these 90degree bounce card used only with ceiling bounce? if not how could they bounce enough light if it's an open space?

No. Ceiling bounce do not need any bounce card at all, just direct bounce. But do take precaution of the colour of the ceiling.

Open spaces use bounce card. Usually for separate bounce cards when attached to the flash head, the weight of it will cause the card to lean slightly forward so when the flash hits on it, it will be reflected outwards. But do not stand too far away from your subject when using bounce card.

when you use bounce card indoor with normal ceiling height, if you tilt the flash at 60°, some of the light will hit the ceiling first and bounce toward the subject, some lights will hit the bounce card and bounce toward the subject, so you can have longer working range in indoor.

When you use bounce card indoor with high ceiling, or outdoor open space, is still workable, but the working range is cut down a lot, cos more lights are "wasted".

why outdoor still using bounce card? cos you are shooting your subject in very short range and want a little softness of the flash light, or using a ultra wide angle, you need a flash to provide wider coverage. beside this two reasons, I don't see any other benefit of using bounce card outdoor.

as for omnibounce, you can use tilt 45°, 60° or straight up to ceiling when it is indoor normal ceiling height. But with a tall ceiling and big enclose areas, or outdoor open space, it makes no sense to tilt the omnibounce with 45°, 60° or straight up, cos it has nothing to bounce and it only wasting flash battery power, however, you can point the omnibounce direct toward subject, if you can tell the little softness which omnibounce able to provide in open areas.

For thread starter, if your subject is 2~3m away, it should be fine, but how do you know the overexposed is caused by the flash light only? are you using big f stop at the same time? beside, when you using flash during outdoor, the flash should act as a fill, you can dial minus compensation on flash light for more natural looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.