Bought a new lens today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybuster

Nov 15, 2004
Leeds, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Hi guys,

This is in no way as celubrious as an SSM lens but I bought a "new" second-hand lens today.

It's a Minolta 35-105 AF Macro 3.5-4.5. An older model lens.

Didn't pay much for it and wondered if anyone has any experience with this lens.

fuzzybuster said:
Hi guys,

This is in no way as celubrious as an SSM lens but I bought a "new" second-hand lens today.

It's a Minolta 35-105 AF Macro 3.5-4.5. An older model lens.

Didn't pay much for it and wondered if anyone has any experience with this lens.

This lens is quite ok. Actually if you want to know whether the lens quality is good. Look the coating of the glass. Should at least have multiple colours on the coating. It should have at least green, orange, purple, light purple, light orange and so on. This lens is quite light weighted. Sharpness is there too. So actually quite a good budget lens to start off with.

Try out at the widest, mid and smallest aperture. Try out with various zooms and macros as well. There are bound to have many different comments about the lens. So the best is always to try out yourself. Good luck on your new second hand lens.

Hi there,

Is the one with Macro switch with metal barrel?

If it is, all I can say is a great lens. I am very happy with it... sold it to my friend who badly need a good lens. Well, I still have my older 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 Macro.

Sharpness is good, range is good and macro switch is usefull...

Congratulation on the new lens...

Hart

Agetan said:
Hi there,

Is the one with Macro switch with metal barrel?

If it is, all I can say is a great lens. I am very happy with it... sold it to my friend who badly need a good lens. Well, I still have my older 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 Macro.

Sharpness is good, range is good and macro switch is usefull...

Congratulation on the new lens...

Hart

I'm please to say it is the metal lens with the Macro switch. I tried a newer lens second hand too which didn't appear as contrasty as this lens.

I'm also pleased to see it works quite well on the new 7D.

I'm guessing but a lens like this would be 20 years old? Does anyone know when these were last made?

Pete

I am pretty sure it got the year near the mount. Have a look there.

If I am not wrong, it was 1986 or something like that. not quite 20 years.

Hart

fuzzybuster said:
I'm please to say it is the metal lens with the Macro switch. I tried a newer lens second hand too which didn't appear as contrasty as this lens.

I'm also pleased to see it works quite well on the new 7D.

I'm guessing but a lens like this would be 20 years old? Does anyone know when these were last made?

The newer version was probably introduced in 1989 with the i series, so that gives a time for the older lens.

I owned the i version for a short amount of time, and there was nothing wrong with it, but nothing particularly good either. A decent lens but pretty boring. I understand that the older version (your) is better; it has a different optical construction and was probably more expensive to make, as well as much larger. Sadly, most of the classics (35-70/4, 28-135, 70-210/4) had to go when cheapness became the norm :(

Magnus,

I paid the price of a few beers for this lens in E++ condition.

Maybe it won't rock my world, but it will be useful for my wife who's a photographer too, so I guess I'll keep it and see.

SSM's, I can only dream about today :)

Very best,

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.