Bokeh Effects

5068186691_feaa1cbb3c_b.jpg

heres a heart bokeh of helix :)

5090130938_874c1ca3aa_b.jpg

tried to make a heart shape filled with hearts but failed :(

Interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Although I must admit, even though "bokeh effects" can add to your photo creatively, its applications are pretty much limited to novelty photos (ie. photos that, well, have barely any meaning at all)- unless you can convince me otherwise...

Interesting, thanks for sharing. :)

Although I must admit, even though "bokeh effects" can add to your photo creatively, its applications are pretty much limited to novelty photos (ie. photos that, well, have barely any meaning at all)- unless you can convince me otherwise...
:D :D :D

Challenge accepted, my dear candycaine.
Bokeh is a neat trick, but what I've shown so far, and what some of the others have posted here was just a trial on what the effect can do. Obviously, the picture itself is pretty useless, but that's because there was no 'subject' in the foreground. customized bokehs can add a myriad of emotions when used properly.

Limitations are only temporary roadblocks if the mind is creative enough ;)

Bokeh is a neat trick, but what I've shown so far, and what some of the others have posted here was just a trial on what the effect can do. Obviously, the picture itself is pretty useless, but that's because there was no 'subject' in the foreground. customized bokehs can add a myriad of emotions when used properly.

5089535499_c6f7450db3_b.jpg

heres my share of bokehs effect with a subject inside..it isn't the best because it was done indoors and im having space limits with my 50mm.

I don't mean it as a challenge. Not to your photographic ability or the aesthetic quality of "bokeh effects". But yes, I'm quite curious to see if these effects can be utilised to add a "myriad of emotions" as you say- although, I don't really foresee photos with bokeh effects blowing me away.

candycaine,
i know you didn't mean it like that...I'm just in a good mood and well...slightly bored. Could use a new challenge. So tired taking the same old pictures all the fricking time. I'm hoping to shoot some good bokeh pictures at the iLight Marina bay outing this saturday. Guess you'll have to wait it out a bit.

appleshem,
not a bad start man. My only complaint is that there's too much light in the background. A flash trigger from an angle would kill of most of the bg light and enhance the bokeh spots more...of course you can just pp that effect in photoshop too. Far as the 50mm limitations...it will be slightly difficult if you fill up most of the frame with your subject...unless your subject is..well...'smaller' ;) I'm not saying anything more.

yea..from this i know that if you want to do bokeh effects with a 50mm, not wise to do it indoors, if really want to do it indoors with a subject, can try using a 35mm f/18 or a 30mm..
didnt really got time to photoshop it at that point of time so i left it that way..haha..thanks for the advise anw :)

Just a question, how do you make the bokeh shapes' edges sharp? Like the pic below (courtesy of diyphotography.net)

378717376_898541a616.jpg

I just did a random test (my heart shape is ugly)
img53146127855.jpg

and I find the edges not sharp.

Is it due to the size of the shape of the heart? I am afraid if it is too small then I will not be able to capture the foreground object.

Advices please thanks.

how do we make a successful shot of shaped bokeh effects in the background with a focussed subject in the foreground? i cant seem to do it with my 50mm 1.8.

the DOF does matters and also the size of your shape. you need to try and error afew times to get it right.
When your subject is too near to the lights, your lights wont be blur. when your object is too far from the lights,your bokeh will be too blur.
it is said to be that you have to set your focus to infinate.. but i suggest you do abit of manual focus.. it might help shapen your bokeh shapes. :)

how do we make a successful shot of shaped bokeh effects in the background with a focussed subject in the foreground? i cant seem to do it with my 50mm 1.8.
terribly sorry for the late replies..my laptop was undergoing repair.

as appleshem said, its a trial and error technique. The size of the heart does matter upto a certain extent, but mostly its the DOF that comes into play. Also keep in mind the sources of light for your bokeh. If the 'point' sources are too close together, the shapes will just overlap and create a mess.

And of course, there is a certain amount of contrast enhancement done on the pictures. It helps bring back a little sharpness in the photo.
Keep experimenting. :)