Bokeh Effect from 24-105mm f4

canon550d

Dec 4, 2011
I plan to get a 24-105mm f4 because I like the range and IS compared to the 24-70mm f2.8.

But I'm not sure of the bokeh effect for taking portraits and hope that sifu's here can share some sample photo taken with this 24-105mm. :dunno:

Currently I own a 17-40mm f4, and tried taking portraits with it and I didn't quite get the bokeh effect that I wanted.
Needless to say when compared to my 50mm f1.8. 17-55mm f2.8 is good, but the range is kinda short for my liking.

FYI, I'm not shooting portraits in studio. The lens is more for traveling.

Thanks for reading.

I plan to get a 24-105mm f4 because I like the range and IS compared to the 24-70mm f2.8.

But I'm not sure of the bokeh effect for taking portraits and hope that sifu's here can share some sample photo taken with this 24-105mm. :dunno:

Currently I own a 17-40mm f4, and tried taking portraits with it and I didn't quite get the bokeh effect that I wanted.
Needless to say when compared to my 50mm f1.8. 17-55mm f2.8 is good, but the range is kinda short for my liking.

FYI, I'm not shooting portraits in studio. The lens is more for traveling.

Thanks for reading.

I may not be a sifu, but I can vouch for the usability of the 24-105 and can assure that the bokeh is decent. I find that the 24-105 is a good all round lens that does everything at an above average standard. It may not be the best in sharpness or bokeh effects, but it certainly holds its own in both areas easily exceeding average lenses.

Here is a portrait that shows the potential of the bokeh that this lens can achieve:

2012-05-25%2520-%25204425.jpg

Wow, these sample photos are exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks for sharing them.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I did some shots to specifically test the bokeh a few months back. Shot at F4 of course.

5D3_1807.jpg

5D3_1809.jpg

Bokeh is more pronounce on a full frame

Bokeh is more pronounce on a full frame

yup, i fully agreed with this statement.
I assumed you are using APS-C sensor since you mentioned EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 (excellent lens for crop body).

Try FF body, you would be surprise to see more Bokehlicious !

This lens has got great colour rendition too. :thumbsup:

Bokeh is not an EFFECT the camera's sensor produces.

Bokeh is the quality of the background blur.

what you guys are actually discussing here is how to achieve this background blurring. the quality of the blur differs from lens to lens.

and how blur it all will be depends on your:

1) Sensor Size
2) Aperture Size
3) Focal Length
4) Camera to Subject/Subject to Background distance.

Halfmoon said:
Chio........ the bokeh.... is quite good I feel..........

Actually this is more like ni-sen bokeh, which is considered as poor bokeh. Thus is obvious by the harsh edge around the speculate highlights.

This is especially obvious in the second picture, where the poor bokeh distracts from the subject itself.

Last edited:
Bokeh is not an EFFECT the camera's sensor produces.

Bokeh is the quality of the background blur.

what you guys are actually discussing here is how to achieve this background blurring. the quality of the blur differs from lens to lens.

and how blur it all will be depends on your:

1) Sensor Size
2) Aperture Size
3) Focal Length
4) Camera to Subject/Subject to Background distance.

Actually this is more like ni-sen bokeh, which is considered as poor bokeh. Thus is obvious by the harsh edge around the speculate highlights.

This is especially obvious in the second picture, where the poor bokeh distracts from the subject itself.

May I just check, the quality and including the quality of OOF lights will also depend on the aperture blade design and number of blades, right?

May I just check, the quality and including the quality of OOF lights will also depend on the aperture blade design and number of blades, right?

Yes. the quality of bokeh is dependent in quite a number of factors,

1) number of blades
2) Shape of blades
3) design of the lens itself

Yes. the quality of bokeh is dependent in quite a number of factors,

1) number of blades
2) Shape of blades
3) design of the lens itself

Yupyup, and apodization elements, etc etc.

Well yeah... it's not all buttery and gooey. Bokeh balls are round enough tho.

Well yeah... it's not all buttery and gooey. Bokeh balls are round enough tho.

Just because they are round does not make them "good".