Blu Ray Writers

iunspoken

Apr 8, 2008
Yishun, Singapore, Singapore
Hi all,

Just got myself a new Mac Pro, largely for video editing. Am also intending to fill the second optical slot with a 12x Blu Ray writer. As it seems, MCE Tech is the only manufacturer to public advertise that their drive is fully Mac-compatible.

Though correct me on this, technically speaking, all Blu Ray drives can be installed via the standard ATAPI connection (did I get that right?). So if I just buy any Blu Ray drive, be it Pioneer, HP, Sony, Plextor, LiteON, it should work right? It's just the software that's the issue.

Also, which manufacturer provides the best writers? Price isn't much of an issue, just going for the reliability and quality.

Thank guys. And Happy New Year in advance.

LG BH10LS30 internal bluray writer sata, just over 200 bucks at sim lim, works flawlessly, no need for patch file installation of any sort. Save yourself some $ on shipping. It's 10x write if I didn't remember wrongly, but I always write at 4x anyway. LG has the white external bluray writer too, it's quite painful at USB2, but it still works if you need the portability.
I'm not sure if the cables are still IDE or sata for the drive bays for the new mac pros. I'm on a 08 8 core mac pro and that drive works for me, although I would need to route a separate sata cable.
If it's IDE cables, you'll need to route a sata cable from the 2 hidden ports at the main fan port. Plug out the big fan and you'll see it.
Toast titanium sees it, System profile sees it. And when they both see it, any other software would see it.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
LG BH10LS30 internal bluray writer sata, just over 200 bucks at sim lim, works flawlessly, no need for patch file installation of any sort. Save yourself some $ on shipping. It's 10x write if I didn't remember wrongly, but I always write at 4x anyway. LG has the white external bluray writer too, it's quite painful at USB2, but it still works if you need the portability.
I'm not sure if the cables are still IDE or sata for the drive bays for the new mac pros. I'm on a 08 8 core mac pro and that drive works for me, although I would need to route a separate sata cable.
If it's IDE cables, you'll need to route a sata cable from the 2 hidden ports at the main fan port. Plug out the big fan and you'll see it.
Toast titanium sees it, System profile sees it. And when they both see it, any other software would see it.

hope this helps.

the new one is SATA ports. that should work right? though looking for a 12x where possible. haha.

the new one is SATA ports. that should work right? though looking for a 12x where possible. haha.

if you can find a 12x burner at the same price point, easy availability and plug-ability like the LG one i mentioned, do let me know yeah :thumbsup:

Apologies if this is a noob question, as I am very new to Videos.

I have a Sony NEX 10 which takes really great images.

However, there appears to be a step down in terms of video quality when download it down to my Macbook Pro. Furthermore, when I burn it to DVD (after using Imovie and IDVD), there is a further step down in image quality.

Was thinking of a Blu Ray burner, and so I am interested to know if an external Blu Ray burner would work with the Macbook Pro/IMovie?

Apologies if this is a noob question, as I am very new to Videos.

I have a Sony NEX 10 which takes really great images.

However, there appears to be a step down in terms of video quality when download it down to my Macbook Pro. Furthermore, when I burn it to DVD (after using Imovie and IDVD), there is a further step down in image quality.

Was thinking of a Blu Ray burner, and so I am interested to know if an external Blu Ray burner would work with the Macbook Pro/IMovie?

hey man. DVD's not meant for HD footages.. DVD's in the SD world, which might explain your "step down" in image quality.

in any case, any conversion from one format to another will definitely have a slightly drop in image quality.. about 1 grade to be exact. it's not that noticeable to consumers, but i've seen editors facepalm from it multiple times...