Blowout Building Lights

nikoneer

Jun 10, 2011
7860578830_9968898cc8_c.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

The lights from the buildings on the right, you can see them that they are all glowing. I understand that some people would say that it is a bit blown out. I would like to know if is it really a blowout, or over highlighted lights? This is already edited, no matter what I do even if I lessen the highlights it will still glow.

One thing, I am not really sure if it is called blown highlight. I don't know the right term.

2.what I hope to achieve with the piece of work?

I wanted to make those lights from the buildings on the right more calmer and cleaner.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

This photo was teken at the Helix Bridge, with my sturdy Sirui tripod, my trusty 1 yr D7000 with 18-105 f3.5-5.6 and with remote shutter release.

Condition ain't that much, Helix Bride vibrate/shake sometimes when I took this photo.
Emotions aint't that much either, took this late night around 10-11 pm, felt sleepy and tired after DSLR session with my newbie friends.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I personally think that this photo is quite good, if I don't mind the glowing lights. However, when if my eyes scan the photo I can see clearly that those glowing lights from the building at the right makes it a little dirty.

----------------------

can I lessen those blown out lights using lightroom / photoshop or through camera settings? If so, please, I beg you to shed some tips. I really need it.

thank you very much!

I think the dynamic range is too great to avoid blown highlights in one exposure. I am guessing - didn't use the eyedropper to confirm RGB values. You may want to take a few pictures and blend exposures instead.

I'd also suggest taking the picture earlier, when the sky is dark blue instead of black. The subject stands out better.

Because the light from the buildings is too much of a contrast with the night sky you end up with blown highlights in there. It would be better to shoot earlier around sunset hours. That's when the sky is not completely dark, reducing the contrast wi the surrounding. Hope that helps.