Blowing in Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffryZ

Sep 17, 2007
I was reworking one of my photos to submit for a big photography contest. The picture is of the Old Point Loma Lighthouse in San Diego CA and was shot in black and white with my IR converted camera. It was a sunny day with some clouds and the sun was about to go down- the light coming almost horizontally to hit the lighthouse. I turned around to take just one more shot before I left and this was it- the best one I took all day in my opinion. Infrared completely changed the mood of the image- it looks much more dark and stormy than it did in color. What looks like the light on is actually the sun reflecting off the panes of glass in the lighthouse tower and what almost looks like steam coming out of it causing the tree to lean back is just a cloud that happened to be there.

I had done a version in sepia, cropped a bit more:
Old_Pt_Loma_LtHouse_IR-1.jpg

and for the new version, I decided to include the car on the right side of the frame. It is actually right next to the edge of the frame which is why I cropped it out, but this time I cloned in a bit more space along that side to be able to have some space around the car. It is difficult to tell- I think it worked well. The fact that the car has its lights on helps too- it was not even getting dark yet. I was not sure I wanted to stay with the more sepia tone so I played around with the hue slider and decided I liked this blue color better. Gives it more a night look. Any other suggestions for improving it? I have to uplink my entry by March 1st. Thanks for looking! I like the drama and have this for my desktop right now.

Blue_Blow700.jpg

i prefer the 2nd pic with the car...as it gives perspective and also a more 'human touch' and movement to the photo.

im personally not fond of 'funky' colour-IR...esp when it's duo-toned (unless its sepia / bnw)
maybe it might work for others..or for that competition's judges for that matter.

i'd personally go for the sepia / bnw toning and make it more high contrast also :D

I agree, 2nd pic for me too...

I agree, 2nd pic for me too...

Oh I remember this place! Pity I wasn't into IR at that point in time when I was there.

I think the treatment done to the 2nd pic works better. Great work!

I tried one more version- less blue (decreased the saturation). I will look at them for a couple more days to decide which one I like better for the contest. Thanks for any comments and tips.
Blue2_Blow_2500.jpg

Here is another one I am considering submiting, "Torsos":
Torso_Layers2500.jpg

Along with "Waiting" . Although this one looks like it could be infrared, it was originally shot in normal color. I went monochrome since it was more interesting.
Waiting_700.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Now I have to get the sizes right for submitting. I try to be as close as I can to the maximums they allow to have the best quality image for them to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.