Blocking Windows Live/MSN/Yahoo Messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.
To TS:
What if he's discussing schoolwork via msn? msn very powerful, can share whiteboard, can draw diagrams, can scribble formula etc.. rather than meeting up at a fast food joint to share notes, I think msn is a good avenue to discuss school work. Talk to him, be sure that he gets his priority right and be glad he's staying at home and not out somewhere he's not supposed to be.

y u must quote my post? :think:

y u must quote my post? :think:

Yours was the last post mah.. Too lazy to scroll and too lazy to remove the quote. ;p plus it was kind of relevant..

to be honest, if the child is not going to be motivated enough to have discipline on his own accord

how long is the parent going to be able to follow him?

a long talk will do, if it doesn't suffice then my opinion is that you should let him be

it may not sound right to you, but at his age, it's probably a little too late to give him tough love

Many thanks for all the feedback.

I have tried talking to my son and advised him to balance his time but this is getting nowhere. Besides spending time on his PC, he also spends time with his PSP. At the rate he is going, I think it is possible for him to pass his 'O' level.

All the methods suggested failed to work and it looks like there is nothing I can do and the only thing I can do now is to hope that he suddenly wakes up one day and realizes the importance of education in Singapore but it may then be too late.

I have tried talking to my son and advised him to balance his time but this is getting nowhere. Besides spending time on his PC, he also spends time with his PSP. At the rate he is going, I think it is possible for him to pass his 'O' level.

All the methods suggested failed to work and it looks like there is nothing I can do and the only thing I can do now is to hope that he suddenly wakes up one day and realizes the importance of education in Singapore but it may then be too late.

david...its never easy. it took a while with my son also. he had this mentality that he was already good enough, and tend to compare with his classmates. so i asked him...whether he thought his results were good enough to get him to jc or poly. he thought they were. so i said ok...lets wait for mid-year results. well i think his mid-year results gave him a shock. his aggregate was like 27. soon after that i could see him putting in a lot more effort. in the end he did well enough to get into jc. i hope it will work out for your son and you too. keep on motivating him...and talking with him...as a friend. good luck!

Let him read this thread. ;p

well, no pain no gain...

i went thru a big round to know or rather trying to know what i wanted... and still looking for it...

since young i dun even need to think about why was there a need to save, who puts food on the table, who packs my room, etc... cos all taken care of, and i normally pass my exams, note, pass, without even studying... if i have the heart to do it, i score, normally top 3 kind... hence my teachers, parents keep naggin about studying... but i just dun like to... i will spend time perfecting my game score, reading my comics, fantasizing... then doing anything but to improve my educational score...

still in the end i get my degree and such... now i'm finding a passion in doing precision engineering work... its so much fun, well, most people are saying its a dirty job... but its fun...

kids at that age, i dun know what they thinking now, but seriously at my age that time, i dun even care what happen the next day... probably you should think about what you are doing when you are his age... some people are like me, after wasting time getting all the certs and degrees, you sit down and think, damn... wat the hell am i doing... then you look around and start going for a new paper chase... doing something you really want to do, thats what i think i'm lucky of, a 2nd chance... you should give your son the ability to choose if possible... rather than forcing what you think is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.