Black & White Photo: Use Photoshop or Digital Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qING

Jan 3, 2006
I am wondering if there is any advantage to take photos in black and white rather than changing a colored photo to black and white using Photoshop.

Did anyone using your digital camera to take Black and White photos? If yes, why? Thanks :)

There are many many ways to transform a colour photo to B&W.

The inbuilt processor in your camera probably uses one way only, and for every picture.

If you want to see what the other ways can do for your particular photo, you of course have to bypass your camera processor.

I use the built-in b&w function in my Ricoh GX100... but those are just "fun shots". Those that I don't even bother processing.

Everything else taken on my dslr gets a custom dose of channel mixer treatment for b&w output. If you shoot enough of b&w you'd realise that doing it yourself gives much much better results than any in-camera processing. This is especially true if you shoot in those strange coloured lighting situations (e.g. concerts. where its suddenly all red.. all green... weird mix of green and blue... etc)

There are many many ways to transform a colour photo to B&W.

The inbuilt processor in your camera probably uses one way only, and for every picture.

If you want to see what the other ways can do for your particular photo, you of course have to bypass your camera processor.

Hmmm... Sorry. I dun quite understand what you mean :think: Would you like to rephrase it? :sweat: Thanks.

Yatlapball said:
use the built-in b&w function in my Ricoh GX100... but those are just "fun shots". Those that I don't even bother processing.

Everything else taken on my dslr gets a custom dose of channel mixer treatment for b&w output. If you shoot enough of b&w you'd realise that doing it yourself gives much much better results than any in-camera processing. This is especially true if you shoot in those strange coloured lighting situations (e.g. concerts. where its suddenly all red.. all green... weird mix of green and blue... etc)

Oh. The inbuilt camera b/w processing is not as good as the colored photo processed in Photoshop. Hmm... ok. Thanks :)

Hmmm... Sorry. I dun quite understand what you mean :think: Would you like to rephrase it? :sweat: Thanks.
basically, the system in your camera does a very basic transformation of colour image to black and white regardless of the contents of the image, whereas in photoshop you can adjust various settings so as to maximise the image quality of the resultant black and white image from the original colour capture...:)

Oh, and I forgot to add. Heh. Even if you use the in-camera b&w... the photo usually can still be improved some by dodging/burning during post-processing :)

the only advantage of using incamera processing is convenience. if u wanna get good b&w digital, use PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.