Black card technique???

Here's a Flickr group dedicated to the technique which I help moderate: Flickr: The Black Card Technique Pool

We are a small community though. Hopefully this technique picks up!

great stuff as usual, scintillation. i posted quite a few on this group too, didn't know you moderating it. ya, do hope to see this technique picking up too.

Use black card quite a bit these days, when stack long exposure (ND 6-10 stops) with GND, the IQ does deteriorate (experience base on m43 sensor & Ricoh GXR sensor, haven't tried Pentax or other systems), but black card doesn't deteriorate IQ. Also, some GND (tianya, Cokin, & Hitech even gave cast when stacked with ND), Lee should be better but I haven't tried. The correct method is mentioned by pinholecam. Though, I do it slightly differently to achieve certain effect like moving clouds.

e.g.
if suppose to expose foreground 50s, sky 5 secs. I black card (cover brightest part+shake) every 10secs and then 1 sec expose fully, then continue till bulb time ends. If based on usual methods of 50 + 5, it will be difficult to get the moving clouds. There's much trial and error as well, though it may sound simple.

Here's one with Ricoh GXR+voigtlander 12mm/5.6, square cropped as there's some light leak on the left (some internal sensor issue)

Disadvantage? If you look at the orange tallest building, it's slighty darker on the top. Could have dodged on PP, but i'm lazy:bsmilie:
But also your hand can get tired. haha
Advantage: Single shot, minimal PP.
Hope that helps explain a little. I learn alot from scintillation earlier shots, he seldom use it these days I think.

nice!!! something i wanna achieve!!

I understand cover brightest part, but what mean shake? Shake what? The black card? While shaking keep black card covering brightest part?
I never seen this done before, so blur.

Can elaborate ?

nice!!! something i wanna achieve!!

Thanks, I'm still learning as well from scinttilation and google, just imparting what I had experience:)

I understand cover brightest part, but what mean shake? Shake what? The black card? While shaking keep black card covering brightest part?
I never seen this done before, so blur.

Can elaborate ?

Shake card, coz you shake cam you get blur picture lor:) if you dun shake it's gonna form a distinct black line. Try it, that's the best way to understand, but make sure you have long enough exposures (I would say at least more than 10 sec for a start and increase), probably need ND to help lengthen that, strength depend time of the day. E.g. if you expose whole frame fully 8 sec, you can cover and shake for at least 2 sec or thereabout, so that's about 2 stops of GND already. There's a fair bit of trial & error at least that's how I learnt.
Hope that's helpful :)

Thanks, do you mean just move the black card in up and down for the brightest part ? how fast ? like fanning a paper fan in a hot day or very hot day ?
Plan to try this Saturday morning sunrise.

Thanks, I'm still learning as well from scinttilation and google, just imparting what I had experience:)

Shake card, coz you shake cam you get blur picture lor:) if you dun shake it's gonna form a distinct black line. Try it, that's the best way to understand, but make sure you have long enough exposures (I would say at least more than 10 sec for a start and increase), probably need ND to help lengthen that, strength depend time of the day. E.g. if you expose whole frame fully 8 sec, you can cover and shake for at least 2 sec or thereabout, so that's about 2 stops of GND already. There's a fair bit of trial & error at least that's how I learnt.
Hope that's helpful :)

Thanks, do you mean just move the black card in up and down for the brightest part ? how fast ? like fanning a paper fan in a hot day or very hot day ?
Plan to try this Saturday morning sunrise.

Fanning on the horizon or split between highlight and shadow (normally I place centre of frame/ lens) in hot day is what I do. But I dunno what you define as hot...I think the video posted earlier does show that.

Thanks Wong, saw Hanjie blog link on page 1 of this thread, missed that.
means just move the card up down a little bit ( 5-8mm up and down crossing the line between bright and shadow region of frame)

Fanning on the horizon or split between highlight and shadow (normally I place centre of frame/ lens) in hot day is what I do. But I dunno what you define as hot...I think the video posted earlier does show that.

Thanks Wong, saw Hanjie blog link on page 1 of this thread, missed that.
means just move the card up down a little bit ( 5-8mm up and down crossing the line between bright and shadow region of frame)

yes, have fun this weekend:)