Birmingham - Britain's Canal City

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonzhu

May 12, 2003
Singapore
thegeekphoto.com
DSC_8662.jpg

In 1759, the Duke of Bridgewater built a canal using drainage water from his coal mines to take coal 4 miles to Manchester. This cheap and easy method of transportation was quickly seized upon by owners of coalfields in the Black Country close to Birmingham.

In 1767, British Parliament passed an act, allowing Birmingham to build a canal system. By 1769, engineer James Brindley had completed the first of the City's canals from Wednesbury to Newhall then to a wharf beyond the Gas Street Basin. By 1772, James Brindley's line extended to Wolverhampton. The canal created rapid growth in industry.

By 1800 the Industrial Revolution was in full swing and Birmingham was at the hub of a nationwide network of canals stretching from Liverpool to London, from the River Severn to River Trent.

Today, Birmingham has more canals than the famed Venice.

See it here.

i think i've seen that similar wooden gates for the boats to pass next to one of the flea market. that is almost like 1 decade ago.... but i dun rem going to birmingham.....

think you have a nice gallery esp your bokeh in your egg in the nest and the palm tree in the centre of the blue sky with orange hue. but dun mind me commenting on your series on birmingham, i'm not very used to slanted horizons. colors are rich though, but overall exposure not quite bright. the above pic i prefer a wide DOF, but i suspect the bokeh of your background (which appears to be the subject though) is your deliberate design.

Nice shot, however, I felt that the pic could be sharper.

Status
Not open for further replies.