[ BIG NEWS ] - Panasonic launches Professional micro 4/3s HD Camcorder

The AF100 incorporates a 4/3-inch, 16:9 MOS imager.

Sorry i got lost in translation here. 4/3 inch refers to the size & 16:9 is the aspect ratio right? Not that its a 4:3 aspect ratio & crop to 16:9 right?

Anyway Media corp or shud i say SBC, ditched film since after 雾锁南洋 days. They were using C format & U-Matics (both low & hi band) in the 80s until the early 90s where they adopted the analog Beta (both standard & SP)

Video cams came a very long way, if any of u out there has handled those vidicon tubes b4 u'll know what i mean, super heavy & low batt runtime & separate recorder deck to lug around. Media corp still using many old cams cos u can't juz write them off overnight. Drama uses the Panny D5 & D9 stuff instead of the more common Sony DigiBeta (or the less popuplar D1, D2). They stlll have cams that's discrete from tape recorders & those integrated types. Dun think they'll change anytime soon. Recent yrs, they have resorted to low budget productions with DV cams Canon X1/2 & some Sony VX stuffs from taking over U channel. And i'm always asking myself why do we pay so much TV license every yr. :angry: Only crap on air!!

Well enuf of trivia... Coming back. I'm not sure i'm reading this news right. What is going to happen to their yrs of research & development of the DVCHD Pro format? And not forgetting their D9 HD format & PII cards format? U mean Panny is going to ditch those overnight & go full steam with AVCHD?? :think::sweat:

To end my post, in case some people not following broadcast news. The latest House season finale was shot entirely on 5D2. Airing this coming May 17th in US. The director says he loved it & its the future. Question: Do such pro cams still have a future?

I see a few Carl Zeiss lens there. I wonder if it's via adapter or something.

I see a few Carl Zeiss lens there. I wonder if it's via adapter or something.

ARRI PL mount lenses can be adapted to the micro 4/3 mount.

Sorry i got lost in translation here. 4/3 inch refers to the size & 16:9 is the aspect ratio right? Not that its a 4:3 aspect ratio & crop to 16:9 right?

Anyway Media corp or shud i say SBC, ditched film since after 雾锁南洋 days. They were using C format & U-Matics (both low & hi band) in the 80s until the early 90s where they adopted the analog Beta (both standard & SP)

Video cams came a very long way, if any of u out there has handled those vidicon tubes b4 u'll know what i mean, super heavy & low batt runtime & separate recorder deck to lug around. Media corp still using many old cams cos u can't juz write them off overnight. Drama uses the Panny D5 & D9 stuff instead of the more common Sony DigiBeta (or the less popuplar D1, D2). They stlll have cams that's discrete from tape recorders & those integrated types. Dun think they'll change anytime soon. Recent yrs, they have resorted to low budget productions with DV cams Canon X1/2 & some Sony VX stuffs from taking over U channel. And i'm always asking myself why do we pay so much TV license every yr. :angry: Only crap on air!!

Well enuf of trivia... Coming back. I'm not sure i'm reading this news right. What is going to happen to their yrs of research & development of the DVCHD Pro format? And not forgetting their D9 HD format & PII cards format? U mean Panny is going to ditch those overnight & go full steam with AVCHD?? :think::sweat:

To end my post, in case some people not following broadcast news. The latest House season finale was shot entirely on 5D2. Airing this coming May 17th in US. The director says he loved it & its the future. Question: Do such pro cams still have a future?

Mediacorp : Pass... don't think this current generation of management execs can bring a revolution overnight. So let's wait till they are replaced.

On the Panny cam : I think these are brilliant cameras for news gathering. Lightweight and probably still strong enough to survive through daily work and wear and tear. But I might be wrong. Not something you bring to a battlefield, but for city news/web news, I think this is a brilliant camera.

On "House" : The 5D/7D cameras are producing some serious user base. In China, some small production houses and indie film makers are jumping into this seriously. With better post production and even use of telecine processing, I won't be surprised that they represent the future. 5D/7D are eating a lot into RED's market. But then again, for small productions, REDs are overkill. TV series and stuff, I believe the 5Ds are more than enough. The m4/3 video format should be on their way to replace consumer family video cams in the coming years. I am not in touch with the Pro/HD market and I believe there will always be companies and production houses who will invest into these Ferraris of the motion image world. But for now, I think focusing back on this Panny cam, it will be a contender to fight their way into the market Canon is building.

I know that many film guys in China are given 5D/7D for free to shoot films for 2010-12. So that they get hook on this format. If Canon have their way, they should be "poisoning" their way to a massive market share. This method worked in the days of 1D into the sports and photojournalist market. I believe this will work for the video market as well.

Let's hope Panny and Oly can come out with consumer solutions to increase their market share.

:sweat: eh...i'm not sure. i think that it is a 4/3-inch and physically 4/3 aspect ratio sensor but only the 16:9 crop is used.

or it could be...

Multi-aspect ratio

Like the Panasonic LX3 compact camera the GH1 now uses a multi-aspect ratio sensor. At any aspect ratio (even at 4:3) it only uses a crop from the total available sensor surface which is slightly larger than a standard Four Thirds sensor in order to accomodate the different aspect ratios. At first sight this may seem strange but the result is that the lens offers the same diagonal angle of view regardless of selected aspect ratio, making it much easier to get a feel for the behaviour of the lens. It also means you make the most of the sensor area, getting similar pixel counts in all modes.
sensordiagram.jpg

again - i'm not sure :bsmilie:

Forgive me but seriously this is a very ugly werid looking camcorder & design are somehow outdated, more like launching from the 80s~ its 2010 now... Cmon olympus~

Forgive me but seriously this is a very ugly werid looking camcorder & design are somehow outdated, more like launching from the 80s~ its 2010 now... Cmon olympus~

What has this got to do with Olympus? :bsmilie: Besides,I seem to recall reading somewhere that designs are not finalised

Wow if this new product picks up i think Zuiko lens will evolve and will have more line ups... If oly has no more intention of thier 4/3 systems other than flagship I dont see why they wont make lens for other platform or even other systems... It's another form of business to them e.g. they could create lens for other mounts also?

But I hope this will have a positive impact to 4/3 as well!

What has this got to do with Olympus? :bsmilie: Besides,I seem to recall reading somewhere that designs are not finalised

anyways this is not targetted to consumers but more for professional. Most of the time these folks never go by the look but by the quality and Reliability of the product they are using...