[ BIG NEWS ] - Panasonic launches Professional micro 4/3s HD Camcorder

headfonz

Apr 6, 2006
AG-AF100_illust-New%20web.jpg

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=407080&modelNo=Content04082010101919040&surfModel=Content04082010101919040

PANASONIC INTRODUCES AG-AF100,
4/3” PROFESSIONAL HIGH-DEFINITION CAMCORDER

* Premier AVCCAM Video Camera Combines 4/3” Sensor with Superior Video Quality, Professional Audio Inputs, Variable Frame Rates, SDXC Card Technology *

LAS VEGAS, NV (April 11, 2010) – Panasonic Solutions Company today announced a game-changing AVCCAM HD camcorder, the AG-AF100, the first professional micro 4/3-inch video camcorder optimized for high-definition video recording. Scheduled to ship by the end of 2010, the AG-AF100 will set a new benchmark for digital cinematography.

Targeted at the video and film production communities, the AF100 delivers the shallow depth of field and wider field of view of a large imager, with the flexibility and cost advantages of use with a growing line of professional quality, industry standard micro 4/3-inch lenses, filters, and adapters. The full 1080 and 720 production camera offers superior video handling, native 1080/24p recording, variable frame rates, professional audio capabilities, and compatibility with SDHC and SDXC media.

The design of the AF100’s micro 4/3-inch sensor affords depth of field and field of view similar to that of 35mm movie cameras in a less expensive camera body. Equipped with an interchangeable lens mount, the AF100 can utilize an array of low-cost, widely-available still camera lenses as well as film-style lenses with fixed focal lengths and primes.

“Designed in consultation with the filmmaking community, the AF100 eclipses the video performance of other cameras in this price range,” said Joe Facchini, Vice President of Sales & Product Management, Media & Production Services, Panasonic Solutions Company. “Ideal for film schools and independent filmmakers, this affordable, digital cinematography camera employs an advanced professional AVC/ H.264 Hi Profile AVCHD codec compatible with a wide range of editing tools and affordable players.”

The AF100 incorporates a 4/3-inch, 16:9 MOS imager. The camcorder records 1080/60i, 50i, 30p, 25p and 24p (native) and 720/60p, 50p, 30p, 25p and 24p (native) in AVCHD’s highest-quality PH mode (maximum 24Mbps). Ready for global production standards, the camcorder is 60Hz and 50Hz switchable.

The AF100 maximizes the potential of its high-resolution imager with built-in ND filtering and dramatically reduced video aliasing. Standard professional interfaces include HD-SDI out, HDMI, time code recording, built-in stereo microphone and USB 2.0. The AF100 features two XLR inputs with +48V Phantom Power capability, 48-kHz/16-bit two-channel digital audio recording and supports LPCM/Dolby-AC3.

This newest Panasonic AVCCAM camcorder is the first to enjoy the benefits of advanced SDXC media card compatibility in addition to existing SDHC card support. (SDXC is the newest SD memory card specification that supports memory capacities above 32GB up to 2TB). With two SD slots, the AF100 can record up to 12 hours on two 64GB SDXC cards in PH mode

The AG-AF100 will be available by the end of 2010. Panasonic will support the AF100 with a three-year limited warranty (one year plus two extra years upon registration).

guess this is what the GH1 has evolved into...just noticed that it has a native 16:9 4/3s sensor, so i'm guessing its a multi-aspect ratio sensor like the GH1 (full 4/3s resolution at any aspect ratio). could this sensor make it to the next E-x?

Quite expected from Panasonic... they are big in the professional video market. As long as they keep developing for that sensor, we will all benefit from it. Go Panny!

I seriously don't think so.

Figures... Ah well.... I shall continue dreaming :D Anyway, I'm not so much so a video person, so doesn't bother me that much,but it is something that is pretty much unexpected:think:

Amazing to see the Oly Zuiko lens on that Panasonic HD video. Woo!!

wow...imagine paring it with a 14-35mm F2 lens. Yums...
makes a lot of reason to go into the 4/3 system as all the lens interchangeable and the system will not cost u an arm or leg...

i wonder if canon will come out with a similar system....

I thought I saw US$6000 elsewhere.

In any case, I heard about this about 6 weeks ago and really doubted that it was coming but...wow.

yeah, the DVXuser threads mentioned $6000 as an indicative price given by the Panny rep.

its a broadcast equipment so it will remain out of reach for the most of us, but it would be interesting to see how the technology will trickle down to the prosumer version of the camcorder and to the 4/3s and m4/3s cameras.

i second microcosm's comment: GO PANNY!

It's really small isn't it? I'm not familiar with professional video cameras but don't they come ALOT bigger than that? I see those Mediacorp people lugging the giant cameras around...

It's really small isn't it? I'm not familiar with professional video cameras but don't they come ALOT bigger than that? I see those Mediacorp people lugging the giant cameras around...

i've seen smaller camcorders like this before used by indie film makers and commercial videographers, but i'm not sure.

maybe microcosm can share his views since he has broadcast background?

It seems to be,could be 14-35 though

I think it looks like the 14-35mm to me too.
If Olympus uses this sensor it could mean that the E-x will have really great video.

7-14 on this videocamera is going to be mind blowingly awesome! Really like the way panasonic and Olympus are moving along with the M4/3s, the EP1 for one is a camera that has got me thinking seriously about using the 4/3 system.

t's really small isn't it? I'm not familiar with professional video cameras but don't they come ALOT bigger than that? I see those Mediacorp people lugging the giant cameras around...

The last time I saw Singapore Idol and the Mediacorp production crew was at work, if I am not mistaken they are using film reels. Yes, the cameras were large, like REALLY huge, makes the stuff I have been shooting on( DVX102, PD170) look like tiny little cameras!

I guess it all starts from the sensor and the very fact that this is card based. small sensor---> smaller lenses---> SD cards(no tape mechanism) = Small camera!

Aint complaining, if anything, 3 years of education have taught me smaller without compromising quality is a good thing!

7-14 on this videocamera is going to be mind blowingly awesome! Really like the way panasonic and Olympus are moving along with the M4/3s, the EP1 for one is a camera that has got me thinking seriously about using the 4/3 system.

The last time I saw Singapore Idol and the Mediacorp production crew was at work, if I am not mistaken they are using film reels. Yes, the cameras were large, like REALLY huge, makes the stuff I have been shooting on( DVX102, PD170) look like tiny little cameras!

I guess it all starts from the sensor and the very fact that this is card based. small sensor---> smaller lenses---> SD cards(no tape mechanism) = Small camera!

Aint complaining, if anything, 3 years of education have taught me smaller without compromising quality is a good thing!

Big is ancient... look at all the newest and latest movie cameras... recording to harddisk and output to computer... tapeless... and also, not that massive, though the lens and hoods are still pretty much the same size (optical physics). But the camera system, minus the film reel, can be shrunk to a smaller size these days.

Mediacorp using film? Someone confirm this? I am so surprised! I don't think this is remotely possible.

I think it looks like the 14-35mm to me too.
If Olympus uses this sensor it could mean that the E-x will have really great video.

*drools* yes, the possibilities now are limitless in digital. Panasonic has a good reason moving to the 4/3 platform as a partner. Now we are seeing some really interesting products truly worthy of the professionals. What will be next?

i've seen smaller camcorders like this before used by indie film makers and commercial videographers, but i'm not sure.

maybe microcosm can share his views since he has broadcast background?

Indie film makers these days work with cameras as small as the Panasonic GH1, thoug the Canon 7D is fast becoming the most popular after the 5DMkII... so it is no longer the tool... Small can be powerful.

As mentioned above, big is ancient... Mediacorp is ancient. Bordering on prehistoric.

More photos of the Panasonic camera.

AF100_NoGlass_Jan-DVXuser_1.jpg

AF100_NoGlass_Jan-DVXuser_2.jpg

AF100_NoGlass_Jan-DVXuser_3.jpg

I believe in this tie up, CDAF SHG Zuiko Lenses should be flying off the shelves if the camera body is priced right... Once there is mass sales for the lenses, I believe this will help Olympus to get more ambitious and develop more lenses for the Zuiko Digital range, and even the M.Zuiko range. That is good news. So I am hoping that the professional video community can pick up on this new platform. I don't see why not because the m4/3 videos so far have been quite good.

The rest is to wait and see how the market reacts.