Big group photo at Sentosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

home

Mar 18, 2004
Hi, I'm taking a big group photo - abt 90 people at Sentosa for my company retreat. The photo will be taking in the morning, at 8.30AM in front of Rasa Sentosa hotel (next to swimming pool). I hv not done anything like this before. I'm thinking to hv 7 layers and each layer consists abt 18 people. Would that be any problem? And what aperture should I used to achieve perfect converage? Pls advice.

Thanks.

home said:
Hi, I'm taking a big group photo - abt 90 people at Sentosa for my company retreat. The photo will be taking in the morning, at 8.30AM in front of Rasa Sentosa hotel (next to swimming pool). I hv not done anything like this before. I'm thinking to hv 7 layers and each layer consists abt 18 people. Would that be any problem? And what aperture should I used to achieve perfect converage? Pls advice.

Thanks.

shoot at as large and aperture value as you can. (i.e. smallest aperture).

pardon me if this is not the correct method.

I don't have actual experience taking such photos, but if it were me, I would use a wider angle lens, and use aperture of f8 or f11. A wide angle lens has termendous depth of field, so with an aperture of f8, just about everything is nice and sharp.

yeah pretty much close up ur aperture as much as possible.. but no need to go bonkers and stop down to f22 or watever.. ahhaha maybe f8 is more than enuff.

also.. try to get a spot when u can stand back. i dunno how wide u have, but i can just imagine using my 12-24 at 12mm and i'll be screwed, becos of the perspective distortions. if possible try to use min of 24mm or if u got the space, move back and use 35mm... but for 90 over pple.. i'm not sure u gonna have the space.

good luck!!

also.. if u have time.. try to see if u can shoot from high point. that's after taking the shot from normal angle. ;)

since it is in the morning, avoid direct sunlight else u will see everyone closing their eyes

there are 7 rows, so make them as compact as possible, else the DOF may not be enough. use multiple flash if possible, 18 per row is a lot!

get a prime lens for sharper and less distorted image, what lense u going to use anyway?

btw, how come u want to arrange exactly 18 pple/row? usually front row lesser, more pple behind, ask those who are standing to tilt their body 45 degree so that u can squeeze more pple.

get ready some benches and tables too

also, take as much shots as possible, pple tend to blink and lost their attention after a while, no need smallest aperture, use M mode, set to f8 enough liao, keep the shutter speed around 1/100-1/125 and push up the ISO if not enough light, cos pple tend to move their body about

Thanks folks, thanks for all the helpful information. I'm using my 300D together with the 18mm-55mm len. Would that be sufficient?
A bit worry!

think about how u want to arrange the pple in each row too, if not some tall some short will be very odd

if u use flash, ask those sitting in center to remove their glasses

not sure if the place will be shady, make sure the sunlight dun shine on anyone face, or else his face will be overexposed

if possible set to 24-28mm, usually the two extreme end will be softer

home said:

Thanks.

you don't need 7 layers. 5 layers of 18 ppl per layer is exactly 90 ppl.

if you are going to take many shots which are going to look almost identical, you can shuffle one or two persons around before each take to help in identifying the photo afterwards.

Ektar25 said:
Hi home,

I am going to suggest something different for your shoot - if your company is not set on a formal shot - taken from head on with so many people in so many rows and half at 45 deg right and the other half at 45 deg left - then maybe you can try shooting from above – see if the hotel has a ladder you can use (at least 2 m) otherwise look for a window or balcony to shoot from – if good lighting is available you can try indoors and shoot from on top of or from bottom of stairs

This will not only make the pic more dynamic but will also (1) eliminate the short person v tall person problem (2) allow use of larger aperture (btw the others are correct in that you will not need anything smaller than f8-11 if you are shooting from more than 12m away using the wide side of your 18-55

yup, this way can squeeze more pple in the frame. last week i did a group photo for 300+ pple from top of a building, arrange them is the most tedious part, must use loud speaker + handphone to communicate with the assistant below while i am on top to tell them where to stand. For like 60-70 pple, the traditional way still can make it, may be try both if time allow? one formal shot and one informal

I did a groupshot of 300+ people, indoors. The people organising it has to coordinate the group via the PA system. I also asked for all the stage lights to be on. They are arranged in 5 rows I think - 1st row sitting on floor, 2nd row on chairs, 3rd row standing, 4th row on chairs on stage, 5th row standing on stage, something like that. I used Press 800, f/11, about 20+ mm, camera mounted on tripod, a single flash (direct) combined with the stage lights, and a slowish shutter speed (1/2s I think). It turned out ok. Contrary to what I previously thought, 35mm film does have enough resolution for a group this size. From a 2700dpi scan, everyone's face is recognisable. :)

Regards
CK

Wai said:
wah..1/2s, but can't help since it is indoor

i tried 1/15 indoor but end up can see some pple head moving about :(
At that kind of distance, that kind of group size, at such a wide angle, the movements should be pretty controlled. Just ask them not to move for a couple of secs.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.