Big Fuss about YOUR RIGHTS in photog compeition

Status
Not open for further replies.
crazypaladin said:
Talk only. Show us some figures.

why don't you show us some figures as well, companies' balance sheets for organising competitions :)

poohbear said:
Actually , most org are using so called competition to help them get photos , or otherwise they'll have to pay pro photographer, and it's because of some nonsense competition, professional are taking less of the cake. In the end, it's only the commuity will suffer.

Like said , there's always 2 side of the story. Before anyone should start a similar thread , maybe they want to think from other side 1st. Easy to just type out before thinking , always .......
Sadly, but I totally agree with you...

../azul123

crazypaladin said:
If I have access to the company balance sheets, then I am in trouble. But no problem getting figures for publicized prize money right?:sticktong

oh, you mean you don't have? you seem to sympathise with the organisers so much, i thought you'll know how bad the situation is for them, sigh, talk only

crazypaladin said:
If I have access to the company balance sheets, then I am in trouble. But no problem getting figures for publicized prize money right?:sticktong
No problem to Google right? it's all in the open web, what must spoon feed where to get URL as well?

../azul123

Now cool down. How can a company reveal to me (an outsider) its balance sheet for organizing the competition? However, during its publicity stint for the competition, it will reveal the prize money, right? So your orginal question, how to answer? At least must ask sensible question mah.

crazypaladin said:
Find one for me, I do the rest for you.
Why don't you find one from Europe and the prize money is like what they pay here, then we have more to talk about.

../azul123

azul123 said:
Why don't you find one from Europe and the prize money is like what they pay here, then we have more to talk about.

../azul123

Anyway, you started it. All talk only. Only challenge and challenge but no results. I asked question, another reply with question and expect me to answer. We will answer those question in order it is asked. Period.

Back to my point, imagine one wants to get a picture for a purpose. He forked out his money and said I am willing to pay only this much for a photos from those who are willing to submit them. Some of the people walked away (Group A), saying money is too small an amount. Some wanted to join for the money, though it is measy compared to others but still a good amount to them (Group B). Yet some who participated or waiting to participate complained about the money (Group C). Now the key point of this thread is why Group C complained when they can simply behave like Group A? It's this simple.

One bait the willing, but the willing wanted to fight back?

crazypaladin said:
Anyway, you started it. All talk only. Only challenge and challenge but no results. I asked question, another reply with question and expect me to answer. We will answer those question in order it is asked. Period.

Back to my point, imagine one wants to get a picture for a purpose. He forked out his money and said I am willing to pay only this much for a photos from those who are willing to submit them. Some of the people walked away (Group A), saying money is too small an amount. Some wanted to join for the money, though it is measy compared to others but still a good amount to them (Group B). Yet some who participated or waiting to participate complained about the money (Group C). Now the key point of this thread is why Group C complained when they can simply behave like Group A? It's this simple.

One bait the willing, but the willing wanted to fight back?

you are mixing things up. prize money is one thing, rights is another. are you talking about rights or prize money?

look at the thread title, sheesh ...

crazypaladin said:
Anyway, you started it. All talk only. Only challenge and challenge but no results. I asked question, you reply with question and expect me to answer. We will answer those question in order it is asked. Period.
Twisting and turning facts?

I raised issue with sparing a thought for the pro who find it hard to make a living and issue with the competition paying next to nothing, it was you who started this noble approach of comparisons on how much it cost to organize etc...

Let me remind you in case you turn on selective memory.

crazypaladin said:
Like-wise, dun just think about the price money being too small a sum to pay for a good photos. We only see the price money but have we considered the money put into organizing the event, the money that goes into publicizing the competition in various newspapers and websites? These probably cost more than just engaging a professional photographer! But why are the companies not going straight to professional? Because in the process of competition, they are already giving their company/products publicity liao.

So think about the other side as well... the companies are bleeding money too! Dun just focus on the prize money, focus on the photography!!!:sticktong

Why should I waste my energy on you and searching it for you, what don't know how to Google is it?

../azul123

eikin said:
you are mixing things up. prize money is one thing, rights is another. are you talking about rights or prize money?

I am talking about selling the the rights to the photos to the prize money, as implied or stipulated in the competition. I mean, one has a choice in deciding the rights to this photos is worth this much or not right?

To the amateur, his thinking could be: "My photos is now worth to nothing. But this prize money buying over the rights to it is still worth it" (Group B).

To the professional/others, his thinking could be: "My photos is definitely worth alot. This prize money buying over the rights to it is Not worth it I am walking away" (Group A).

To the remaining group C, his thinking could be: "My photos is now worth something. This prize money buying over the rights to it is not worth it. I am still joining but it's unfair" (Group C).

My point being: to each his individual choice. If you are willing, dun complain. Not willing, dun join.

crazypaladin said:
I am talking about selling the the rights to the photos to the prize money, as implied or stipulated in the competition. I mean, one has a choice in deciding the rights to this photos is worth this much or not right?

To the amateur, his thinking could be: "My photos is now worth to nothing. But this prize money buying over the rights to it is still worth it" (Group B).

To the professional/others, his thinking could be: "My photos is definitely worth alot. This prize money buying over the rights to it is Not worth it I am walking away" (Group A).

To the remaining group C, his thinking could be: "My photos is now worth something. This prize money buying over the rights to it is not worth it. I am still joining but it's unfair" (Group C).

My point being: to each his individual choice. If you are willing, dun complain. Not willing, dun join.

and so what about organisers who take away the rights of pictures that do not win anything?

azul123 said:
Twisting and turning facts?

I raised issue with sparing a thought for the pro who find it hard to make a living and issue with the competition paying next to nothing, it was you who started this noble approach of comparisons on how much it cost to organize etc...

Let me remind you in case you turn on selective memory.

Why should I waste my energy on you and searching it for you, what don't know how to Google is it?

../azul123

Take it as I dunno how to google.

Take it as I have selective memory.

Take it as I lose the arguement to you. You win.

My points still stick.

eikin said:
and so what about organisers who take away the rights of pictures that do not win anything?

I admit the rules are not good. but one joins the competition know the rules fully right? Really, if one is not happy, then dun join. It's that simple. Does complaining MAKES them change their mind? Will there be people who still dun mind? (I bet lots of it) Some just wanted a free publicity of their winning entry, for the fun of photography. Some just want the money. It's all about willingness in the FIRST place.

Take it as a +1 from me :sweat:

Bottomline - exploitation of free photogs by local companies :think:

Can argue until the cow comes homes, in the end , you happy you join, not happy dont join.

Just like the recent request from photographer for the Dxo calendar launch, noone complain about the FREE PHOTO.? Why the double standard. Should make it known over there and not here.

crazypaladin said:
I admit the rules are not good. but one joins the competition know the rules fully right? Really, if one is not happy, then dun join. It's that simple. Does complaining MAKES them change their mind? Will there be people who still dun mind? (I bet lots of it) Some just wanted a free publicity of their winning entry, for the fun of photography. Some just want the money. It's all about willingness in the FIRST place.

do you agree that there are people who join competitions without reading the rules and regulations? what's wrong with highlighting potential problems for these people?

Status
Not open for further replies.