Big balloon

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
5273316582_1d21b9c5f9_z.jpg

Well, I am trying to post this first photo and I am not sure it will show up. Yet to get my DSLR but using a compact camera to take this shot. Hope to get some feedback from you guys so that I can kick off my first photo using DSLR once I get my hand on one. ;)

1) In what area is critique to be sought?

While focusing on the big balloon below, it should reflect the vastness and freedom of the openness. How can I reflect the various heights of the balloons and hills?

2) What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

Freedom and being able to float in the air of openness and undulating ground.

3) Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Struggling and cramped up with 24 others in a big basket to take this photo. It was early in the morning around 7 am, temperature around 10 C, good light and little breezy.

4) what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I think the picture is not sharp and I would like to be able to show the distance between the main balloon and those at the back.

Last edited:
just giving my opinion here. This top down view makes everything looks flat. The sense of perspective and scale seems to be lost here.

having a horizon will probably help greatly in giving the "reflect the vastness and freedom of the openness" that you are looking for. something like this. http://www.flickr.com/photos/srilankatourism/4084601417/

to reflect the "heights of the balloons", probably you will need a reference scale like in this photo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/johaneko/4472234455/ The large person and the tiny people closer to the balloon give a sense of scale here quite well.

Last edited:
The shot is a little underexposed, However, I can visualize the potential of this shot if it was
1) Taken at a slightly lower angle, such that the horizon can be included in the frame.
2) Include a bit of the sky, especially if the clouds are nice.
3) Wider angle of view to include other balloons at a distance
4) To take the shot during sunset

However, I understand not all of the above mentioned factors are within TS' control. Good attempt, keep shooting! :)

Guess both coolthought and Override2Zion had already mentioned the importance of perspective for this kind of shot.
For this picture, too much land/mountain in it, make it boring. Taking at this perspective (top down) has lost the majestic feel of the big air balloon in the sky.

Last edited:
Hey thank u for the tips and encouragement. My next contribution must be better, that is a promise, I hope :sweat: