BG-E2N users beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttOMaster

Mar 4, 2007
Nee Soon Camp
Battery Grip for 40D body,

The pin that holds the hand grip or neck stripe came off on one side!

Lucky caught my camera before it hit the ground..

Brought it back to canon and they tell me no warrenty and need to pay 30 bucks for repair.

So my Q is,

Is it a user fault or Manufacture fault?

Canon Say this has never happen before, then how come they know how much to charge??

otto

iam using both N & C system , would said i get the batt grip for my N system , but when it come to my C system , no matter how bad i need the batt grip i just cant bring myself to get 1 , think it the design of the batt grip that hold me back :) , anyway i dun think it ur fault , this type of thing veri hard to said , esp on plastic product .

okay I'll admit this, rather shamelessly and sheeplessly.

I never knew you could attach your neck strap to the battery grip until I read this post. all this while, the OpTech strap I have used since a decade ago has been mounted onto the strap areas on the main camera body itself. I've been doing that since time in memorium with all my other cameras, which could explain why I wasn't aware of the existence of the pin. :p

thanks for the heads up though. (=

Hi,

It never occur to me that the neck strap is to be attached to the pin at battery grip. I'm only using that pin for my hand strap

Regards

May I ask what lens you had mounted on your camera when the incident happened?

I haven't had trouble with the pin, but my problem with the BG-E2N happened when I was attempting to unscrew the grip to remove it. The screw mechanism is made up of plastic parts moving against the metal screw, and it wasn't too much of a surprise when the plastic part broke, meaning that the screw couldn't turned anymore!

Anyway went down to CSC today, was told there wasn't a warranty for accessories (which is ridiculous), was asked to pay $50 for servicing. I refused and after a short debate they gave me free labour but I pay for part replacement (which was $32 anyway).

I honestly think Canon has to pick up its game as far as battery grips are concerned, the ergonomics aren't there, it doesnt fit well (the width isn't even the same as the 40D body! Compared with the D300, this is ridiculous), the construction and materials are shoddy, the grip doesn't have things like the AF-on button or the "joystick" which you would expect to be able to use whilst shooting in portrait.... the list goes on. Can only hope Canon listens to us users and starts to match up to Nikon when it comes to such small details.

Battery Grip for 40D body,

The pin that holds the hand grip or neck stripe came off on one side!

Lucky caught my camera before it hit the ground..

Brought it back to canon and they tell me no warrenty and need to pay 30 bucks for repair.

So my Q is,

Is it a user fault or Manufacture fault?

Canon Say this has never happen before, then how come they know how much to charge??

otto

Wow bro wat a close shave u had.. Glad that u didnt drop ur camera.. Luckily i never use the hand strap on my BG-E2N

Wow bro wat a close shave u had.. Glad that u didnt drop ur camera.. Luckily i never use the hand strap on my BG-E2N

Yeah man,

Lucky I have fast hand fast leg....

and canon is going to take a few days for fix a PIN!

otto:cry:

I haven't had trouble with the pin, but my problem with the BG-E2N happened when I was attempting to unscrew the grip to remove it. The screw mechanism is made up of plastic parts moving against the metal screw, and it wasn't too much of a surprise when the plastic part broke, meaning that the screw couldn't turned anymore!

Anyway went down to CSC today, was told there wasn't a warranty for accessories (which is ridiculous), was asked to pay $50 for servicing. I refused and after a short debate they gave me free labour but I pay for part replacement (which was $32 anyway).

I honestly think Canon has to pick up its game as far as battery grips are concerned, the ergonomics aren't there, it doesnt fit well (the width isn't even the same as the 40D body! Compared with the D300, this is ridiculous), the construction and materials are shoddy, the grip doesn't have things like the AF-on button or the "joystick" which you would expect to be able to use whilst shooting in portrait.... the list goes on. Can only hope Canon listens to us users and starts to match up to Nikon when it comes to such small details.

agreed. They should learn how the sony and nikon design their vertical grip so firm and solid.

Thanks for the update, Bro. :)

Just got a SMS from them,

Item fixed at $0....

well, I hope it wont happen again,

don't get me wrong, its not the $, this should even happen in the first place.:think:

otto

Just got a SMS from them,

Item fixed at $0....

well, I hope it wont happen again,

don't get me wrong, its not the $, this should even happen in the first place.:think:

otto

glad that your grip is fixed...me now a bit worried cos just bought a grip today...:confused:

glad that your grip is fixed...me now a bit worried cos just bought a grip today...:confused:

use a small plier to test out the pin before using.

dont worry too much if you dont use the pin, normally only effect those who like to sling vertical or use hand grip.

I guess I just got the lemon.

otto

hmm...making me think twice if i should get the grip....:dunno:

An update on my problem, CSC called me yesterday to say that the grip's been fixed, at a cost of $9 before GST. Haven't collected it yet but I suppose if that's the final price charged then I'm pretty happy with the service from them. Took 3 days to fix.

maybe u should switch to the mark3. the "grip" is permanently fused to the body ;)

True, this same problem happened to me. BG-E2N users, please note this. The screw mechanism is a really bad piece of engineering. I took my camera out for a telephoto shooting session during this winter on the Romanian Black Sea Coast, and the extreme cold must have caused the screw to tighten excessively. When I tried to unscrew it, the plastic mechanism broke and I am now left with an irreplaceable grip. I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating that is. And to top it all, the service store has never got replacement parts for the grip. I'll pay them a visit next week and attempt to settle this.

Scrappy, was your grip damaged in the separation process? Did you store have replacement parts for it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.