BG-E2 problems revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prismatic

Feb 25, 2003
In the void.
Visit site
Okay, apparently there are still problems with the grip. Mine is working fine with the BP-511a batteries at full charge but the batt indicators are still showing half-life. I still cannot get useful battery life out of using AA rechargeables. Not yet a big deal.

But need to know, so had anyone with the bugs send in their grip to Canon yet and got their problems fixed?

Yes, mine's a pain too. was doing a wedding when the battery died down. However when I remove the grip and insert the battery into the 20D's battery compartment, it shows fully charged!!! Puzzling.

Sending it down to Canon this weekend (apparently they are aware of the problem), minus my camera (the guys there insist that I bring down my camera to test the grip, no way I'm leaving my camera for them to fiddle with).

I'm having the same problem with the battery level as well.

I hope they have a fix soon.

I did send mine to canon services in KL and they said they did change some voltage but then the problem still same, so i decided using velcro fix and after last week wedding, so far so good. I suggest you apply DIY fix which is much more better.

for your info, i send in my 70-200 + 20d + grip and leave it for them to "fix" up the problems i have which is ERR occurs on events like sports and fashion, battery prob on most occasion.

just refer back the prev thread in cs and you will find the answer they... good luck.

melvinfoo said:
I did send mine to canon services in KL and they said they did change some voltage but then the problem still same, so i decided using velcro fix and after last week wedding, so far so good. I suggest you apply DIY fix which is much more better.

for your info, i send in my 70-200 + 20d + grip and leave it for them to "fix" up the problems i have which is ERR occurs on events like sports and fashion, battery prob on most occasion.

just refer back the prev thread in cs and you will find the answer they... good luck.

What Velcro fix? I've read about the business card fix but not this. Care to elaborate?

melvinfoo said:

Once the grip came loose and I saw ERR and the batt indicator indicated half strength. Perhaps it may be due to the way I hold the camera and my fingers tend to brush against the fastener.

I agree some velcro or black tape should be used to secure the grip against the body.

Xing said:
Yes, mine's a pain too. was doing a wedding when the battery died down. However when I remove the grip and insert the battery into the 20D's battery compartment, it shows fully charged!!! Puzzling.

Sending it down to Canon this weekend (apparently they are aware of the problem), minus my camera (the guys there insist that I bring down my camera to test the grip, no way I'm leaving my camera for them to fiddle with).

I can share ya sentiment. Once I was doing cleaning my cam, I noticed "half strength" but that was using a non Canon battery. I solved this mystery by removing the batt and inserting again.

One of those days with things mechanical/electronic.

pit said:
I'm having the same problem with the battery level as well.

I hope they have a fix soon.

Me too having the same problem....when I have BP-511a fully charged in the night(LCD shows FULL BAR), but than next morning check before using it show only half charged only, but when battery inserted directly into body shows full bar again.. :dunno:

Actually, my main problem is just with the battery indicator.
At first I put in one BP-511a, it shows half-life. ( I thought that was like proportional, cos only 1 out of 2 batteries in the grip.)
Then I put in two batteries, it still show me half life???
So far haven't shot that much yet to find out is there any effect on actual battery life.

It is quite certain to be a design problem and a manufacturing design upgrade on the grip is likely to come out soon (so I hear and which is the reason for me to hold back on getting the grip) ;)

Prismatic said:
Actually, my main problem is just with the battery indicator.
At first I put in one BP-511a, it shows half-life. ( I thought that was like proportional, cos only 1 out of 2 batteries in the grip.)
Then I put in two batteries, it still show me half life???
So far haven't shot that much yet to find out is there any effect on actual battery life.

nono... that's not logical.. the batteries should be connected in parallel.. if one fully-charged battery is inserted, it SHOULD show full life.

Yes it is indeed in fact a manufacturing problem with the earlier batches of grips. This was confirmed by Canon Malaysia and they also confirmed that only the earlier batches of the grip was affected. I asked my contact for a serial number range of affected grips, but they were unable to provide me such information. I just got mine and so far it's working pretty well..but I'll continue monitoring it and see how it goes..:)

go check out dpreview. there was some discussion on bg-e2 battery problems a couple of weeks back.

May I check with those that have problem with battery life, which brand of battery did you used(eg Canon, eastgear, megapower etc) and which model, ie BP-511a or BP-511.

Prismatic said:
Okay, apparently there are still problems with the grip. Mine is working fine with the BP-511a batteries at full charge but the batt indicators are still showing half-life. I still cannot get useful battery life out of using AA rechargeables.
Using the AA batteries (Canon said enough to get you home) means alkaline and not rechargeables and new batteries, and don't expect many shots.

The indicator is not a voltage meter in that it gives you accurate power remaining. Rather it just indicates in big steps what you have left. And yes, there seems to be problems on its consistent readings.

Both these issues had been posted and discussed with Canon providing inputs at another forum. Just wait for the revised battery grip to fix the issues currently.

anyone wants to "off-load" their problematic grip...... PM me.

heehee ;)

Ris Goh said:
anyone wants to "off-load" their problematic grip...... PM me.

heehee ;)

I dont have much of a prob with my grip. just be careful not to touch the screws.

I can off loand my non problematic grip

... withdraw my offer to buy problematic grips liao bcos just bought a new one ;)

battery indicator still shows full (recharge about 3 days ago and already took about 200 pics with it since then...... shop people say this batch no problem can buy one lah..... few weeks ago they actually told me don't buy first bcos got problem back then.

will report back if batt indic show half life tomorrow.....

Status
Not open for further replies.