Beware of SONY BMG audio CD


Status
Not open for further replies.

squalle

New Member
Oct 4, 2004
183
0
0
#1
It's rather old ( a few days already)'

In short: SONY BMG audio CDs contained hacker-ware known as rootkit
it installs without you knowing, cant be uninstalled, if you force to uninstall it, you'll have your system malfunctioning
if you let it run in your system, it'll try to contact SONY informing what software you're running, what website you're visiting. basically an outrageous invasion of privacy. actually IMO, this is amounting to trespassing which is illegal anywhere in the world.

read here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-6376177-1.html?tag=cnetfd.li

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/news/articles/2005/11/stinxe.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/11/secfocus_sony_analysis/

summarised here :http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content/1109/p14s01-stct.html

SONY said they're going to halt production of CDs with that lame anti-piracy hacker-ware. however there's no telling what's next they're coming up with
source here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10005667/

Please be careful with any CD or DVD with any anti-piracy protection
 

#3
Pro Image said:
http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Sony...r-Music-CDs/story.xhtml?story_id=011000CQOZKG

Currently only Sony and Sony/BMG has this thing.

However Sony is getting sued big time in the States for many many flaws in the program as it was written rather poorly.

Ya it needed a patch..this stupid ROOTKIT malware heheheh.....

Anyway....anyone who bought a SOny or Sony BMG audio CD since March ....well just becareful. This is one sticky son of a b****.

Well this is a great opportunity for all the ambulance chasers in the States to make some fast buck! heheh...

Oh just in case all those MAC worshipper start to come out of the woodwork to say... "I told you so about PC WinTel being so lousy compared to our wonder Mac" They have already discover it infected MAC TOO!. heheheh The codes are written by another company for Sony to infect the MAC.

Bad enough that it will be spying for Sony....the biggest danger is that this ROOTKIT now makes it easy for any hacker to get into your system and hide. Any hacker who writes their executional program like clickme.exe. They only need to include $clickme.exe and the Sony ROOTKIT malware will make it invisible.
 

squalle

New Member
Oct 4, 2004
183
0
0
#4
IMO

this problem is not abt PC vs Mac
I'm very worried seeing how the trend is going nowadays
with all your basic rights taken away literally
They can just hack into your PC and still claim that it's THEIR RIGHT!
What if I hack into the Sony's website and say it's my right to see how is it coded.
....
damn those greedy corp
 

squalle

New Member
Oct 4, 2004
183
0
0
#5
k just heard it on Ch 5

even M$ says it's dangerous :bsmilie: :bigeyes:
and going to help users to remove it off their PC :eek:
amazing
1st time I see M$ so nice to end users hahaha
 

#6
squalle said:
IMO

this problem is not abt PC vs Mac
I'm very worried seeing how the trend is going nowadays
with all your basic rights taken away literally
They can just hack into your PC and still claim that it's THEIR RIGHT!
What if I hack into the Sony's website and say it's my right to see how is it coded.
....
damn those greedy corp

heheh well Steve Job is getting hot into that too with their DRM. :)

Anyway...Sony got caught with their fingers in the cookie jar but how many more others are there...whoes to know. I have been following this since it was discovered some time back. Imagine this....the guy who discovered this could be sued!!??? heheh Reverse engineering the software is an infringement on Sony and Sony can actually sue heheh but this is a catch 21 situation so after some brave front chatter from Sony...they only started to take action in the last couple of days.
 

#7
squalle said:
k just heard it on Ch 5

even M$ says it's dangerous :bsmilie: :bigeyes:
and going to help users to remove it off their PC :eek:
amazing
1st time I see M$ so nice to end users hahaha
Don't believe that yet!.... There is still no solution to removing it yet. There are already scanners available from two sites I know who wrote it to detect this ROOTKIT. But even if you discover thos hidden files, you can NOT ERASE IT...doing so....the first thing you will notice is...you lost your CDROM drive device.

The ROOTKIT is not just about spying...it is to stop you from making more the 3 copies of the CD and to do so..it replaces your CDROM driver with their own and then write itself into your OS's registry. You can't replace it back in the usual way. They are now trying to figure it out with the two bloody british companies that were paid to come up with this ROOTKIT.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#8
squalle said:
k just heard it on Ch 5

even M$ says it's dangerous :bsmilie: :bigeyes:
and going to help users to remove it off their PC :eek:
amazing
1st time I see M$ so nice to end users hahaha
U'll be lucky if M$ dun help u remove it liaoz and den go and introduce more bugz for more potential for better rootkits! :bsmilie:
 

squalle

New Member
Oct 4, 2004
183
0
0
#10
sammy888 said:
Don't believe that yet!.... There is still no solution to removing it yet. There are already scanners available from two sites I know who wrote it to detect this ROOTKIT. But even if you discover thos hidden files, you can NOT ERASE IT...doing so....the first thing you will notice is...you lost your CDROM drive device.

The ROOTKIT is not just about spying...it is to stop you from making more the 3 copies of the CD and to do so..it replaces your CDROM driver with their own and then write itself into your OS's registry. You can't replace it back in the usual way. They are now trying to figure it out with the two bloody british companies that were paid to come up with this ROOTKIT.
yup I know
I scanned my system with it too realising I've got a few BMG CDs
damn I regret buying those CDs

let's just start boycotting SONY BMG :cool:
 

#11
squalle said:
yup I know
I scanned my system with it too realising I've got a few BMG CDs
damn I regret buying those CDs

let's just start boycotting SONY BMG :cool:

bycott? My favorite Poscast program TWIT and KFI Tech Guy....he said he is throwing them all in his backyard and invite all the listeners to bring their Sony and BMG over and start a big bonfire. heheheheh.....
 

#12
reno77 said:
Worst part is there's a virus that makes use of the Sony program to hide itself from windows.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/11/10/technology/sony_spyware.reut/
yup....this is the first of a few others......sad huh? well that is the way it is.. When this first got out a few weeks back, they deny it and as time past....word of mouth got moving and as in anythign interesting on the net..it spread like wild fire...hackers got wind of it and ...bang.

It is easy to detect if you have it. Just make a txt file. Then rename it for example " $test.txt. If it disappear once you confirm the name change...bingo!...you got it on your computer.
 

squalle

New Member
Oct 4, 2004
183
0
0
#13
sammy888 said:
bycott? My favorite Poscast program TWIT and KFI Tech Guy....he said he is throwing them all in his backyard and invite all the listeners to bring their Sony and BMG over and start a big bonfire. heheheheh.....
:bsmilie:
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#15
such software is v useful 4 photographers submitting digital images 4 contests. so contest organisers can oni duplicate 3 copies! :bsmilie:

w/ d hack-ware we oso will kno wad they do w/ all those submitted images! :think:
 

squalle

New Member
Oct 4, 2004
183
0
0
#16
sORe-EyEz said:
such software is v useful 4 photographers submitting digital images 4 contests. so contest organisers can oni duplicate 3 copies! :bsmilie:

w/ d hack-ware we oso will kno wad they do w/ all those submitted images! :think:
bright idea... but hahahaha it can never happen in many light years :sweatsm:
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#17
mayb we can raise funds 4 such a noble cause! :devil:
 

Royce

New Member
Aug 25, 2003
538
0
0
Singapore
www.roycelithgo.com
#18
Totally outrageous... this time they have gone too far. Here's the list of CDs... hope that you don't have any of them! :)

— Trey Anastasio, Shine (Columbia)
— Celine Dion, On ne Change Pas (Epic)
— Neil Diamond, 12 Songs (Columbia)
— Our Lady Peace, Healthy in Paranoid Times (Columbia)
— Chris Botti, To Love Again (Columbia)
— Van Zant, Get Right with the Man (Columbia)
— Switchfoot, Nothing is Sound (Columbia)
— The Coral, The Invisible Invasion (Columbia)
— Acceptance, Phantoms (Columbia)
— Susie Suh, Susie Suh (Epic)
— Amerie, Touch (Columbia)
— Life of Agony, Broken Valley (Epic)
— Horace Silver Quintet, Silver's Blue (Epic Legacy)
— Gerry Mulligan, Jeru (Columbia Legacy)
— Dexter Gordon, Manhattan Symphonie (Columbia Legacy)
— The Bad Plus, Suspicious Activity (Columbia)
— The Dead 60s, The Dead 60s (Epic)
— Dion, The Essential Dion (Columbia Legacy)
— Natasha Bedingfield, Unwritten (Epic)
— Ricky Martin, Life (Columbia)
 

sORe-EyEz

Senior Member
Jun 28, 2005
1,572
0
0
SGee
#19
u must b feeling so sORe! :sweat:

will take note. upz! ;)
 

hwchoy

Senior Member
Jul 16, 2003
1,899
0
0
55
Tampines, Singapore.
www.hexazona.com
#20
squalle said:
yup I know
I scanned my system with it too realising I've got a few BMG CDs
damn I regret buying those CDs

let's just start boycotting SONY BMG :cool:

sacrifice one PC, RIP all SONY BMG CDs and say it is our right to handout their MP3 :sticktong
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom