Best way to store films? (wine fridge vs dry cabinet vs fridge)

Fiany

Oct 8, 2012
Singapore
Hello everyone!
I'm becoming more serious about film photography, and recently purchased 150+ rolls of film that consist of...
35 & 120 pro, b&w, slides and colour negative films (some expired)
Polaroid 600 films, colour and bw (expired...duh hahaha)
Instax mini film

As I'm gonna take a longggg time to finish my films, i'm looking into the best storage/preservation methods for films.

My questions are...
1) Must I store my films in the fridge or can i just put them in a dry cabinet with the other camera equipment? If I do have to store them in the fridge, how do I go about doing so? (double bag it with a silicon pack inside?)
2) Why do some people store their films in the freezer? Is it necessary?
3) Can the expired, pro and normal films be stored the same way?
4) Since you can control the humidity of a wine fridge and it's cool, is it recommended to store my films?
5) Any other advice?

Thank you so much:)

Here is my answer to your questions

My questions are...
1) Must I store my films in the fridge or can i just put them in a dry cabinet with the other camera equipment? If I do have to store them in the fridge, how do I go about doing so? (double bag it with a silicon pack inside?)
Up to you, depends which you have plenty of space.
For me, I rather use a fridge as dry cabinet is a low heat oven. Fridge may be a bit wet but cool or cold.
Leave the film in the orginal box. Put them in plastic bag. Double if you want. No need silicon pack.
If no box, double plastic will be better. Best ziplock them
2) Why do some people store their films in the freezer? Is it necessary?
For longer storage especially if you have expired film.
3) Can the expired, pro and normal films be stored the same way?
Yes, if you not fassy
4) Since you can control the humidity of a wine fridge and it's cool, is it recommended to store my films?
If you have extra wine cooler, why not use it. but may be difficult to put film.
5) Any other advice?
Best the fridge is not for putting food. It may smell or contaminated the food.
Get a small fridge, since you have plenty of film to store.
Before using film put in a fridge, best to take out from the fridge 2-3 hours to warn up to room temperature before using.
Especially those put in a freezer
Done before take out immediately to use. Best still wait 2 to 3 hours to let the moisture dry up.
Or warm up the film with your hand before using if want to use immediately.

Good Luck

for film to 'continue' to be still usable LOooongggg after its shelf life expiry date, please store them in a refrigerated place .... even a freezer if you want to keep it for a few years.... just be careful when you take it out to use ..... it needs time to thaw out and for condensation to evaporate ..... dont just plonk your film straight from the freezer into the camera

leave the film inside the plastic film cartridge holder while it warms back up to room temperature

Last edited:
I leave all my films in the freezer and usually take it out the night before and leave it at room temperature before using it.

Freezing is to keep the reactive chemicals on the flim as inert as possible.
Dry box is more like a very low heat, dry storage, it does not prevent the slow reaction of the chemicals.
In fact the low heat from the drying element may actually accentuate the degradation.

i put them in air tight boxes and wrap them in plastic bag before plonking the box into the fridge. as mentioned by some, if you put the film into the fridge or freezer, you will need to let it sit in room temperature for a while before using them. i usually leave it out overnight or at least two hours

THANK YOU EVERYBODY! :D

sorry for the late reply, I couldn't find my thread...heh.