Best CRT monitor for editing

Status
Not open for further replies.
if my pictures printed out appear slightly off that of what i editted in photoshop, does it mean i have to get a monitor calibrator? or do i get a printer calibrator? whats the diff?
what is the cheapest calibrator i could get?
also, when printing, does the built-in adobe color adjust thing work ok?

also, how do you know if your CRT is using trinitron tube? is it written at the back?

theRBK said:
I believe Artisans are no longer in production... :(

Agree with Nic, for day to day stuff Viewsonics are great :thumbsup: for the really Pro needs, might want to look into this new range from NEC

awesome NEC. If i had a choice, i guess i will go for Viewsonic depending on the price. :)

maritimus831 said:
if my pictures printed out appear slightly off that of what i editted in photoshop, does it mean i have to get a monitor calibrator? or do i get a printer calibrator? whats the diff?

also, how do you know if your CRT is using trinitron tube? is it written at the back?

I guess Color Calibrator is imptnt tho. Can consider SPyder Pro Studio which is S$500+.

I had a qtn too.. does graphic card get involve with the color as well? :sweat:

Just to share.

Posting to Web: No Profile

Reason is what castle and Gamut have subtly mentioned in passing. Every system interprets the colors differently, thus sRGB color space. Without embeding a color profile, the systems are free to interpret the colors and they should appear accptable on 98% of all screens.

maritimus831 said:

You might need both...unless you know your monitor is giving you good colour, you can't really tell if your printer is off...or you can engage the services of someone to do the calibration for you...

the adobe color adjust thing, although convenient, is actually more difficult to get an accurate calibration because it needs you to be sensitive to even very slight colour shifts...

and about web colour production, well, its pretty hit or miss...however hard you try, don't expect everyone to see what you see...

Hi All,

I've managed to talk to Viewsonic and they will send me some models i shorlist to test out and evaluate for Digital Darkroom use - will do that once i get back in April.

The deals in the IT show was damn good, hope some of you managed to grab the 20", 176 deg viewable display going at $799.

it's a killer display for the price!

cheers,
nic

Gamut Labs said:
Hi All,

I've managed to talk to Viewsonic and they will send me some models i shorlist to test out and evaluate for Digital Darkroom use - will do that once i get back in April.

The deals in the IT show was damn good, hope some of you managed to grab the 20", 176 deg viewable display going at $799.

cheers,
nic

Nic, if you get any good LCD deals, let me know please. ;p

Gamut Labs said:
Hi All,

cheers,
nic

Ah..
Finally someone's talking about the Viewsonic VX2025wm!
From intital specs, it seems like a P-MVA panel, (made by AUO), with 8ms GTG (maybe using overdrive techniques?)

http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDX/VX2025wm.htm

See initial reviews of the monitor here.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1026462&page=1&pp=20

Another possible contender would be the Dell 2007 monitor (the previous 24/2005 models didn't seem that good for graphics, but let's see how these new models work out.)

Looking forward to the shootout soon!

sony has stopped making tubes for quite a while even thou they are actually made in singapore..

I have heard that artisan calibrating software has some problems on Mac OSX. a few of my US friends are complaining about it and sony is not doing about it.

as for Lacie. I think they also stopped making CRT..

LCD IS quite safe.. I'm working on Dual 24" dell. the gamut range when fine tune exceeds sRGB by abit.. the 20" wide dell also has the same response. it exceeds sRGB gamut range by almost 10%.

as for viewsonic.. ya they make trinitrons.. i wonder where they get their parts from since all trinitron tubes have stopped production.

samsung.. i first thought samsung was good.. as you use to the 3-4th year, the monitor takes longer and longer to warm up. now it takes up to 45mins to warm up. (my friend's monitor)

as for philips. it gets blurry after 2-3 years.. almost like from 0.25 dot pitch to 0.4 in 3 years..

from what i know of CRT, aperture grill is metal plate that controls the light that shines on the phosphur. it being metal doesnt burn out that fast.. as compared to invar mask which is what philips uses. and most other brands also.. it's either invar mask or aperture grille. which is the reason why good monitors are trinitrons.

trinitrons uses RGB guns.. 3 guns..
diamondtrons uses 1 single gun to shoot RGB.
but both also uses grill

hope this helps.

anka said:
from what i know of CRT, aperture grill is metal plate that controls the light that shines on the phosphur. it being metal doesnt burn out that fast.. as compared to invar mask which is what philips uses. and most other brands also.. it's either invar mask or aperture grille. which is the reason why good monitors are trinitrons.

Invar shadow mask is hardly used in CRT for quite sometime and only limited to the very cheap budget models. Philips has been using aperture grilles ever since their "P" series came out..eg 107P, 109P which is like 4years ago or more.

One easy way to distinguish between a aperture grill and shadow mask is the dot pitch, aperture grills are typically rated at 0.24mm at best while shadow masks are rated at 0.21mm easily.

orh.. ok.. no idea.. stopped using non trinitrons for almost 8 years.

Been using Eizo LCD's for almost 5 years now.. Was using a Sony Trinitron before that..

Surprisingly, the provided sRGB profile from Eizo for their LCD (L568 & L557) is darn accurate (when using DVI). There was almost no difference between the given and after I calibrated the display.. Well....
Ended using the E1D2 more to set the brightness level. ;p

Kinda wish I could get a brand new Samsung 700NF though.. LOL.. Always wanted one..

Can anyone comment about those OEM CRT monitors such as Compaq and HP.

Thanks!

hwchoy said:
are all Eizo high-end stuff or do they have a range from "consumer" to "professional"?

Most are high end stuff but I do believe they do range from consumer to professional.

Check out their website at www.eizo.com or have a look at their discontinued range of CRT monitors http://www.eizo.com/support/discontinued/crt/index.asp

anka said:
as for viewsonic.. ya they make trinitrons.. i wonder where they get their parts from since all trinitron tubes have stopped production.

trinitrons uses RGB guns.. 3 guns..
diamondtrons uses 1 single gun to shoot RGB.
but both also uses grill

just happen to found this when i searching for printing paper, how OT.
smile9.gif

anyway, Viewsonic doesnt make trinitron, only Sony does. the current AG monitor selling by Viewsonic are all Diamondtron, P225f and P97f+SB. Sony doesn't make any 22" FD Trinitron and 19" and below is no longer in production. i dont know if even Diamondtron AG can be found locally.

Trinitron as the first AG--Aperture Grille tube use single gun, Mitsubishi got the license from them and modified it using 3 gun. as every manufacturer do ,they claim more gun is better. but if Trinitron does need any improvement, i'd guess Sony would be the first to done it already. eg, they are the first to introduce FD Trinitron, the first visually Flat Display CRT. no surpise, Mitsubishi follow suit and call theirs Diamondtron NF--natural flat.

i wont claim which is better but from my own experience with Sony G520, G500, G420, E230...and Samsung 900NF, 700NF, Mitsubishi PRO 900u and NEC FP2141sb--NEC merged with Mitsubishi on the monitor sector--the best consumer CRT from them, Sony gets my vote.

they are still some second hand AG monitor on the market, but most if not all are out of warranty. one thing i wont worry is the brightness issue, unlike shadow mask which get dimmer overtime, AG generally dont have this problem. in fact, its the other way round, most have over-brightness issue instead. my G400 have to tune all the way to 0 value and still able to see every black box in displaymate, right from value 1.

maritimus831 said:

by faint the damper/tension wires across the screen horizontally. but it would difficult to differential Diamondtron from Trinitron from naked eye though.

all CRT are imperfect, especially in geometry and convergence sector. but these arent much of a issue in image editing.

Thanks for the info Kurtlim! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.