Best books for beginner (very serious one though)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkhunter

Oct 6, 2008
I hear this advice a lot on these forums whenever someone asks the usual Camera A or Camera B? kind of questions:

Your money will be well spent on some books on basics of photography.

What book would you recommend? I have a Nikon D200, and I would like to understand:

• Exposure
  • ISO (when do we need to set high and when not?)
  • f x.x (what the heck is that? Why should I change it? i have the famous 18 by 200 VR Nikkor lens)

Etc. Any good newbie book so I can understand the above? I would like to take stable night shots of things like churches in the distance, or SG skyline, or fireworks on new year night etc. My low-light or fast moving photography is miserable.

Also, some shots like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yetbu/2845684734/ -- is this clearly photoshop or do cameras actually shoot like this??

On Amazon, I found books like "Understanding Exposure" but it tells me nothing about how to use my specific camera and how to adjust the settings. I would like a book that addresses this kind of practical advice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
go to Times or Kino and look for books by Scott Kelby... he will answer most of ur queries above. :)

there are 2 books vol1 and vol2 which are quite good and should be able to comprehend easily. you will find it a joy reading his books too. ;)

As for telling you how to make adjustments to your camera and change settings, doesn't the camera manual do that?

I hear this advice a lot on these forums whenever someone asks the usual Camera A or Camera B? kind of questions:

What book would you recommend? I have a Nikon D200, and I would like to understand:

• Exposure
  • ISO (when do we need to set high and when not?)
  • f x.x (what the heck is that? Why should I change it? i have the famous 18 by 200 VR Nikkor lens)

Etc. Any good newbie book so I can understand the above? I would like to take stable night shots of things like churches in the distance, or SG skyline, or fireworks on new year night etc. My low-light or fast moving photography is miserable.

Also, some shots like this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yetbu/2845684734/ -- is this clearly photoshop or do cameras actually shoot like this??

On Amazon, I found books like "Understanding Exposure" but it tells me nothing about how to use my specific camera and how to adjust the settings. I would like a book that addresses this kind of practical advice.

Thanks!

fyi - Understanding Exposure by byran peterson (who by the way is a nikon user himself, not dat it matters) is an excellent beginner's guide to understanding how your camera works. in fact, his book covers ISO, shutter speeds and aperture, and how all these play a part. this knowledge works regardless of your camera brand. where did you get the idea dat ISO, shutter speeds and aperture works differently for different cameras? :think:

if you want specific instructions on your camera's operations, it is either the manual, or try getting those Understanding D200 guidebooks by thom hogan.

Sounds like the Nikon D200 Digital Field Guide by David D. Busch will be perfect for you.

Wow thanks for these suggestions! David Busch website is amazing. Will check out the other books too.

Randius: when I bought the camera, I was recommended the 18x200mm VR lens. Could you let me know why David Bosch does not recommend this multipurpose lens? And why do you like 24-70mm lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.