Bellows, Close up filter or TeleConvertor for Macro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

android17

Sep 27, 2009
Im currently using a 100mm 1:1 macro lens. Am thinking of getting a bigger magnification for insect shots, so was thinking which of the options above will be better?

I noticed that most people prefers using close up filters to increase magnification of their lenses for macro photography, can i know whats the advantage?

Among the 3 options, i thought that close up filters would be the worse, as the glass degrades IQ.

Using bellows = no degrading in IQ as there's no glass element right? So isnt this option better than using a filter?

For TC, while the glass degrades IQ, the TC has (as i understand) the advantage of maintaining the same focusing distance while increasing the magnification.

So with regards to the advantage offered by bellows and TCs, why is it that most people still prefers filters? Any reasons?

thanks

Im currently using a 100mm 1:1 macro lens. Am thinking of getting a bigger magnification for insect shots, so was thinking which of the options above will be better?

I noticed that most people prefers using close up filters to increase magnification of their lenses for macro photography, can i know whats the advantage?

Among the 3 options, i thought that close up filters would be the worse, as the glass degrades IQ.

Using bellows = no degrading in IQ as there's no glass element right? So isnt this option better than using a filter?

For TC, while the glass degrades IQ, the TC has (as i understand) the advantage of maintaining the same focusing distance while increasing the magnification.

So with regards to the advantage offered by bellows and TCs, why is it that most people still prefers filters? Any reasons?

thanks

bellows are huge and bulkier. My prev bellows setup makes handholding next to impossible. as extension increases, u need more and more light as well
good quality multi-element close up filters does not visibly degrade IQ as much as u think. for both u end up reducing the focusing distance so u need to go pretty near the subject.
TC can be pretty convenient in that respect, and i think our macro expert leong23 has done many excellent shots in conjunction with TC i think.

ryan

[quote=android17;5851206]Im currently using a 100mm 1:1 macro lens. Am thinking of getting a bigger magnification for insect shots, so was thinking which of the options above will be better?
Your current lens is quite sufficient. It depends on what type of insects you are going after. If its moth or butt or dragonfly, no problem. If you prefer shooting ants, spiders & such, maybe you can stack another close up filter on it for a larger magnification.
It's cost effective for those who does not own dedicated macro lens. And they come in different power.
Yes & no. If cheapo filters are used, then probably yes. If good quality filters are used & if used correctly, it does produce good images.
If you are chasing insects, forget about using bellows. They are heavy & cumbersome. Lots of light are sacrificed here
Not sure about TCs. If both TC & lens with good optics, posssible. Lke I said, I'm not too sure about this
It's light, easy on & easy off. No sacrifice in light loss. Affordable & still yield pretty good results.
thanks[/quote]
You are welcomed ;)

thanks

Have u consider extension tubes??
To answer ur qs above, becos in quality ones like raynox, i dun really find my iq degrades to the extent u put it in.. :)

thanks

its the least bulky option, cheaper and faster to deploy , thats all.

Prefer extention tubes~

E.g. Kenko tubes~

Pros: No lens elements to increase any form of distortion or vignetting
Con: causes lesser light to pass through the lens~

Cheers~

so a TC is the least variable option?

Im thinking of getting a TC together with my macro lens, as a TC opens up other options with my other lenses.

Either bellow or extention tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.