Beijing-Shanghai train connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongsien

Mar 11, 2002
Hong Kong
Visit site
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone knows how long the train ride is between Beijing and Shanghai? And approx. how much does it costs?

HS

It takes about 15 hours. Best would be to leave around 6-7pm and reaching Beijing at 10 in the morning. The other way should apply also. The price was 317RMB in 2001. That's one way, and for the hard bed and middle bunk (there are 3 layers of beds, lower most expensive, if I remember well). ITs not that bad lah hard bed, just that the mattress is 4-5in thick instead of a super plush mattress in first class. THat's what I was told, I never been on the first class before, but I think its over kill.

If you go for the hard bed, take the middle. That's becuase the lowest one is the most expensive and you get a lot of Chinese people hanging around your bed. The top most one is the cheapest, but it takes a little effort to climb up, and although its a non-smoking train, people still smoke and when they do, you dont want to be on the top most bunk.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! 15 hrs huh?......need to think about that now :)....not so young anymore....

hongsien said:
Thanks! 15 hrs huh?......need to think about that now :)....not so young anymore....

hongsien said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone knows how long the train ride is between Beijing and Shanghai? And approx. how much does it costs?

HS

Prices are Estimated One Way Only. Trip is about 12 - 16 Hours. Around 5 - 10 Train Trips a day depends on seasons.

Hard Seat: RMB 179
Soft Seat: RMB 283
Hard Bed Top: RMB 306
Hard Bed Middle: RMB 317
Hard Bed Bottom: RMB 327
Soft Bed Top: RMB 478
Soft Bed Bottom: RMB 499

If you book your airtickets advance in Beijing, you might be able to get Discount Fares (RMB 600 - 900) at very good rates.

It cold here now, You know where to contact me if you need the information :)

Thanks Simon!

Do you like to be on top or bottom???? .....Till when are you there? Probably I will be around Feb 28 till March 6 in Beijing, then heading towards Shanghai.....hope to see you there, on top or bottom....

Flights not bad too, will see......

My phone no in HK has changed to: +852-633 10205

The first class is double layer on each side, should be $400++ RMB. Best way is to do booking with friends(if you have at least four to book the entire room) so that you won't share the cabin with a stranger, at least you could leave your things around and go to toilet in peace with friends looking after.

The first class bed is comfy and great when you needed rest to go overnight for 15hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.