Be Careful of Fujifilm Warranty Repair Service Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.
hjbyeo said:
Won't bother.. I take your veiled sacarsm as advice.

Was at fsc earlier, a gentleman was rather mad about sab issue, din stay long enough though heard service guy possibly said customer using sab as an "excuse"...should get b&w if you really consider...

Hi all,
After my initial posting of my $800+ repair quote, there is quite considerable response and I feel that I should update all on the status. Just a background , I brought my x100 along for a trip in China and guess what , the SAB issue had to happen during the trip of all times and I am stuck with F2 for the duration of the trip. Imagine having to use F2 for all the spectacular mountain scenery. dammm. Took a while to diagnose it as my photo was constantly over-exposed after I set the F-stop to 'A' mode and then realised I am stuck with the dreaded sticky aperture problem. Anyway upon return to Singapore, made a trip to FujiFilm and realised my warranty just expired and send in for a quote. Specifically mentioned that its is a sticky aperture problem and the lady who attended is a chinese lady. She say she needs to send it to the technician for assessment and would return with a quote in a couple of weeks. I thot I should be able to claim from travel insurance as it happens during the trip and thought that the quotation should be not more than afew hundred at most. Received a SMS quote for a total of $834.60 afew days later. I was really upset and this was the first post that I had send out on the cost of the SAB repair. Went down to FujiFilm 2 days later to collect my camera as I would not be repairing at this cost and this time a Malay lady attended to me. I politely questioned why is the cost so expensive and she immediately made a call to the service technician and grill him why he quoted so much as its a sticky aperture. She asked me to resend in my unit and would escalate the issue up to management. This happen last week and so far I have not get any further update to the cost of repair yet. I would update again once I got some firm response from FujiFilm

I talked to both receptionists (Chinese and Malay) when I sent in my X10 for repair. They are generally quite nice but the issues lie with the technicians. Had very bad experience with the repair process.

I talked to both receptionists (Chinese and Malay) when I sent in my X10 for repair. They are generally quite nice but the issues lie with the technicians. Had very bad experience with the repair process.
I have very good experiences with the staffs there. One of the engineer is so nice and knowledgeable that me and my colleagues used to call him for advises and helps regularly.

Please be gracious and treat others like what you would want to be treated. If you think that a company service center or retail shops are not good, please try to apply to work in this company as their service staff. If you are qualified and work there, then experience for yourself the entire environment, and try to change it if you can.

By the way, met one of their ex-staff and was told that some of the postings in this particular thread and other earlier threads has caused their staff to resign due to personal attacks and wrongful accusations posted, leading to depression. What I was also told is that their engineers really sacrifices lots of their personal times daily (even during holidays) rushing on cameras and administrative works, but there is a limit to what they can do with such a small manpower.
The talk leads me to join this forum to see how poisonous the internet can be, causing people to suffers from depression.

Shouldn't threads like this be closed?

Last edited:
I have very good experiences with the staffs there. One of the engineer is so nice and knowledgeable that me and my colleagues used to call him for advises and helps regularly.

Please be gracious and treat others like what you would want to be treated. If you think that a company service center or retail shops are not good, please try to apply to work in this company as their service staff. If you are qualified and work there, then experience for yourself the entire environment, and try to change it if you can.

By the way, met one of their ex-staff and was told that some of the postings in this particular thread and other earlier threads has caused their staff to resign due to personal attacks and wrongful accusations posted, leading to depression. What I was also told is that their engineers really sacrifices lots of their personal times daily (even during holidays) rushing on cameras and administrative works, but there is a limit to what they can do with such a small manpower.
The talk leads me to join this forum to see how poisonous the internet can be, causing people to suffers from depression.

the thread should not be closed.

it should stay open for a civil and open discussion as the posts here in regards to the service center are all facts.

hopefully no one is distorting the truth. however, if there is any distortion in the truth, i believe fujifilm would've stepped in and alerted the admins?

if it is the truth, what have we to hide?

i'm sure that we only want fujifilm to improve its service, no?

By the way, met one of their ex-staff and was told that some of the postings in this particular thread and other earlier threads has caused their staff to resign due to personal attacks and wrongful accusations posted, leading to depression.

That's a good one, you made my day. I hope you don't really believe that yourself. Anyway, did you just create an account for delivering that message? I hope you're not connected to Fujifilm otherwise it would leave a bad aftertaste.

Last edited:
they should not take "lack of manpower" as an excuse to not provide good service.

I am sure they can check the numbers of X cameras that they have sold to date and justify an increase in manpower in their service division. Seems to me that they are just intend on selling cameras and not providing after-sales service, and this is actually fujifilm not some third party authorized distributor which adds on to the disappointment. Sad that the fact they produce great cameras but unfortunately i won't be buying another X after my experience with them.

blacvios said:
I am sure they can check the numbers of X cameras that they have sold to date and justify an increase in manpower in their service division. Seems to me that they are just intend on selling cameras and not providing after-sales service, and this is actually fujifilm not some third party authorized distributor which adds on to the disappointment. Sad that the fact they produce great cameras but unfortunately i won't be buying another X after my experience with them.

It might be Fujifilm itself but this is Singapore after all.

InPeace said:

I gather 2 things from this...if what u say is true.

1. someone from fuji is obviously watching this thread, yet not much is done despite numerous similar experiences posted at different times by different people.

2. whoever resigned if at all due to this thread or any other earlier thread is taking the forum too seriously and may need to get formal help.

If folk take what is written (or even implied) about their work not by their superiors but by what they read on the internet seriously, we should have many public figures committing suicide at such an alarming rate it would seem like a mass disaster.

No, the thread shouldn't be closed for the reasons you have mentioned.

Anyway, did you just create an account for delivering that message? I hope you're not connected to Fujifilm otherwise it would leave a bad aftertaste.

Fortunately, I'm not working in Fuji. I used to work in a service and retail lines too, and is now working in a clinic.
Saw that ex-staff (I don't think should specify as him or her) and had a chat about what happened. I think what I was told is true. I tired contacted the service department, and it seems that there are some manpower changed or reduced already.

InPeace said:
Fortunately, I'm not working in Fuji. I used to work in a service and retail lines too, and is now working in a clinic.
Saw that ex-staff (I don't think should specify as him or her) and had a chat about what happened. I think what I was told is true. I tired contacted the service department, and it seems that there are some manpower changed or reduced already.

Good. They r responding to what was posted in the forum.

We should continue to bring out the facts, highlight what is going on, so that not only forum members will benefit frm the discussion, the top brass at the co. can also find out for themselves what is truly happening at ground level.

I don't see how I treated people "ungraciously" in my comment. I was just sharing my experience. To be fair, I listed down the things that happened to me.

(1) Sent X10 in to replace my sensor. Got it back next day. Quite surprised.
(2) 1 month later, the lens mechanism was spoilt. Cannot be turned properly to 112mm position. Do note that I take good care of my camera and never drop/bang it.
(3) Went back to service center. Receptionist took in and found that the USB door was also not installed back properly during the last repair. Noted down in the service report.
(4) Was informed that the repair was done after 1 week. Went back and found out that the f2.2/2.0 problem appeared. Had no problem at all before the fix. Receptionist advised to leave it there for them to troubleshoot.
(5) Waited for 2 weeks. No phone call. Called to ask about the status.
(6) A guy did a check on the system, saying that the camera is ready for collection.
(7) Went down to service center again. Receptionist couldn't find my camera at the receptionist area.
(8) Receptionist talked to technician. Camera was not fixed even though the system said the camera is ready for collection. The repair status was not updated when the camera was left there the previous time.
(9) Was very unhappy. Receptionist talked to technician. Technician said give him 30 min. He would try to fix it.
(10) Waited for 20 min. Receptionist told me that the repair will take longer.
(11) Management decided to replace with new one.

Even though I got a brand new one, you can see how frustrating it is for a user. Wasted many trips to go down there. If Fuji management cannot do something about it, they will just lose more loyal customers who support them for so long.

Last edited:
From our forumer InPeace's replies it seems to me that Fuji has taken action against their service staff after seeing this thread (the name of the service engineer was on this thread).

Most of us who drop by any service centers are either pissed or disappointed with the company's product. If the product is working fine we won't be standing in there at all. Service staff should be familiar with the procedures and manage customer expectations well. Giving false deadlines and shoddy repair works only make things worse...

I am in the service line myself, in IT industry. There was one time I received high number of complains from my customers against one of field engineers... I gathered all my customer feedbacks, had a talk with my engineer, and I let him off on the same day. Yes he is pissed but I rather piss off one individual than losing my customers.

That Fuji staff mentioned by InPeace might have gone through the same thing..

so surprised to hear about that...I'm staying off Fuji for a while...can't afford to have a camera that's temperamental

been reading this thread and up to this point..

has anyone got his SAB problem fixed for free by Fuji?..
whether still under warranty or not..

as it seems even out of warranty Fuji (other countries) still fix the SAB problem without any charge..

ya, agree. Hv been talking to a gentleman by the name of Danny. Very nice guy and very helpful. super prompt response to email as well as phone enquiries.
Had a very good impression of their service center until i read this thread.
hv not been to the center though.

Update - I have got my camera from FujiFilm yesterday and they did not charge me for the repair. It would comes with 3 months warranty for the repair should the same problem comes back. After 3 months , repair fees would apply for the sticky blade should it happens again which would probably be $800+ as was quoted previously. Apparently, they do look at feedback from this forum. My observation is that if there is a consistent policy for handling the sticky-blade issue whether in or out of warranty, this would have created alot less fustration from customer. As for me , sending the camera to different service staff have different result. As a early adopter of X100, I would have expected a quality camera since it comes at such a hefty price tag them (1699) and its such a shame that the sticky-blade would be a issue that would happen either sooner or later. The service staff I spoke to have admitted so far as this is a manufacturing defect and its such a shame that FujiFilm have not yet issued a public statement on the SAB issue and instead become a PR disaster. FujiFilm could certainly have take a leaf from Canon book and note how Canon handles their 5dm3 light-leak problem and taken pre-emptive step to reassure their customer and instead of keeping quiet on the issue. As I said before, its not a matter of if but a matter of when the SAB is going to crop up.

I ......
(11) Management decided to replace with new one.

looks like they tried to repair your camera but indeed screwed it up..and beyond repair. and replace you a new set...

looks like they tried to repair your camera but indeed screwed it up..and beyond repair. and replace you a new set...

I am not sure. Most probably they couldn't pin down the problem and decided to simply replace with new one.

Helped my bro send his X100 in for sticky blade problem, attended by the Chinese lady. Warranty was expired nong nong ago and this set was bought in Thailand. No issue, lens replaced within 5days even though they told me it might take 3 weeks. Brought up the focusing inaccuracy issue, they didn't write down in the repair note but don't have that problem anymore. Good experience, but hope I won't have to return because might not be second time lucky.....

Status
Not open for further replies.