Battery..

FIR EP-3

Dec 3, 2011
Is it good or bad to leave the battery inside the camera.?

don't see any reason why not..
i leave mine for months and so far nothing has happened

I won't remove batteries from my cameras, only when I don't use the camera for many months.

btw, I always keep my batteries fully charged, the Ion batteries will last longer if maintain regularly.

I like to take out mine while not shooting. Everyone has their own habits.

Personally, I find it much easier to shoot with batteries in my camera. ;)

But if you're talking about storage... it depends on what type of batteries. Most modern cameras use Lithium based cells, which you can leave in your camera. Do keep them charged though -- lithium cells can suffer irreversible damage if the voltage is allowed to drop too low (normally, this would take months).

If you have a camera that can run on alkaline cells (not too many nowadays), pls remove them for extended storage (anything more than a week) because they can leak and screw up your battery compartment.

Thanks guys for the inputs..

Personally i always charge them back to full after every shoot before keeping it in the dry cabinet. Even if i don't shoot for 2 weeks~1mth, battery level remains the same.

Battery life seems to last longer that way too. No concrete evidence though, it's based on my personal experience.

For me, I don't remove batteries from my camera after shoot. I will try to charge my batteries when 50%+- left. As what catchlights mentioned, lithium-ion battery is advisable to charge before dead.

Last edited:
Is it good or bad to leave the battery inside the camera.?

To the TS, what's your take on this? Your question is a bit...useless (no offense intended)...other than for asking about our practices. Maybe this thread can be more constructive if you can tell us why you asked this question.

Ah Pao said:
To the TS, what's your take on this? Your question is a bit...useless (no offense intended)...other than for asking about our practices. Maybe this thread can be more constructive if you can tell us why you asked this question.

Ouh.. Sorry I'm just worried it may spoil the camera in any circumstances.. Leakage or any other reasons..

Ouh.. Sorry I'm just worried it may spoil the camera in any circumstances.. Leakage or any other reasons..

The manual has already stated clearly to remove the battery before storing the camera away for a long period of time as this may cause a leakage.

If you are going to use the camera frequently, I don't think there's a need to worry about battery leakage at all.

hmm I just keep everything inside the dry cabinet... including battery :bsmilie:

but will take them out every wkend :bsmilie:

Personal preference I will take the battery out from camera after shooting and place everything in dry cabi. Charge the battery before I'm going to use it.

Different people different style ba.

If you use a lesser quality third party battery, there is always the increased possibility of leakage. This may also happen with original batteries. For prolonged storage, take out batteries. Ever wonder why the camera bodies and batteries are kept separate in the box when first sold to you?

If you use a lesser quality third party battery, there is always the increased possibility of leakage. This may also happen with original batteries. For prolonged storage, take out batteries. Ever wonder why the camera bodies and batteries are kept separate in the box when first sold to you?

That's because it saves them the time in packing. They just put in individual items one by one. Its about costing.
It takes another additional step/time to insert that battery into the camera.

For eg, if they manufacture 10,000 cameras a day, and it takes 3 seconds to put in the battery. That is 30,000 seconds, which takes up a good 8+ hours.
And you know what? That is going to be included in the price of the camera you are paying. So you should be glad they packed it separately.

Plus, it is common practice for electronics components to be packed individually in plastic. Even the cables.

Are we talking about Lithium Ion batteries? Don't worry, these batteries don't leak - or they just go up in flames as it happened with cheap copies of handphone batteries. But it seems even these cheap copy cats have learned and such incidents are nearly history.
Alkaline batteries have the nasty habit of leaking, but they are hardly used in DSLR today (some battery grips have AA adapters and Pentax K-x uses AA types, iirc). Most people use rechargeable AA types, which come as NiMh batteries. These types also don't leak, there's simply no liquid / gel that could come out.

Octarine said:
Are we talking about Lithium Ion batteries? Don't worry, these batteries don't leak - or they just go up in flames as it happened with cheap copies of handphone batteries. But it seems even these cheap copy cats have learned and such incidents are nearly history.
Alkaline batteries have the nasty habit of leaking, but they are hardly used in DSLR today (some battery grips have AA adapters and Pentax K-x uses AA types, iirc). Most people use rechargeable AA types, which come as NiMh batteries. These types also don't leak, there's simply no liquid / gel that could come out.

All batteries, primary or secondary (rechargeable) have electrolytes. Without an electrolyte, the chemical reactions that produce electricity will be limited to the touching surfaces, the capacity will be severely limited.

With an electrolyte, the risk of a leak is forever present.

Housing cracks, manufacturing tolerances leaving joint gaps, thermal expansion and contraction, coincidence of e electrolyte sitting at the vent hole. Yes, it's never fully sealed as gases are released and if not allowed to vent will cause the battery to explode.