Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

canturn

Sep 29, 2002
East, SG
www.lyricalmoments.com
One of those reworked images that I shot sometime back for editorial purposes.

45807391.jpg

For comparison....

45809365.jpg

Which one works better?

i believe this is a posed shot? as such IMHO a way to improve this shot would be to request the person to jump off at an earlier point, so that he doesn't 'get into' the net. technically this will show a fuller body of the subject (and probably showcase more completely the action) as he will be further on the left. this will also effectively isolate the person, the net and the shadow, rather than 'cluttering' the person and the net altogether, which IMO allow for a clearer reading.

Very nice shot, really like the shadow on the ground too. :thumbsup:
It would be better if the player was not covered by his hand.

Did you climb up there to take the shot?? Cool...

It will b great if u can capture more of his facial expression... like the shadow on the right... reminds me of Michael Jordan..:)

I say the shadow is distracting. Lighting direction wrong also. But great moment. If u can ask him to repose, tell him close his legs.

2nd shot definitely works better. can almost feel the next moment. the ball turned over nicely for the shot as well, that's very lucky. in terms of composition, there's more 'blank' space (which is probably why the crop is so for #1) i'm just wondering, if this isn't a posed shot how come there's no other players around? (they can fill up that 'blank' to improve the composition) is it a practice session? if it's a practice session maybe you can request for a posed shot since this is for your editorial?

#2 doesn't quite work for me because he's too close to the net, and the shooter is too large, which doesn't quite portray the amount of effort that #1's shooter has. I love both moments though.

I prefer #1, the lines on the ground is a lot less messy and the shadow is in an interesting pose.

but as already mentioned above, it would be great if the player was not in the net, his arm is not covering his face, he had a nice facial expression and he is not in the shadows.

Sorry to OT but i think the shadow of #2 is excellent... it would be a good shot on its own....#1 is a copy of the jordan (shape on the shoe) except it's fingerroll but not a dunk.

For this type of shot, at that angle, there's almost no way of avoiding the MAN IN THE NET pose... try layups against the board instead and it should be better...

Thanks for the comments so far.

Shadows were made harsh using curve and burned in, face could be brighten too, just that I felt that it lacks the atheletic look.

Shooting directly above with the net 40 cm away from the lens was no joke, at that height with ladder leaning against the rebound board.

Nonetheless, keep the comments coming!

I like #2 better. The lines, circles, semicircles and intersections are not broken as abruptly as in #1. The details on the basketball in #2 is more interesting than #1 which is sorta 'broken' also. The shadow of the board in #1 is sort of monotonous. The face and eye in #1 are flaws.

as a jordan fan... ;) I like #1 because the shadow looks like.. u know ;) The lines on the court are much simpler and almost look as if somebody drew them in.

If the face in both pics were important to the picture then I would say both have failed because of the direction of the sun.
But if the pic is just meant to be interesting, then I applaud ya for putting the hoop in the centre & all the other stuff just happen to fall in around it =)

Flash would help with the shadows but that might blind the player =(

when jordan dunk he spread his leg front-back, not sideways in the photo which look unnatural

yea... but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.