Basic Photography Course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi truth-photographer,

I am a paediatrician by profession, which hopefully makes what I am going to say trust-worthy and reliable. I have attended a course on Still Life by Proimage in SLCC. When I got hold of my 300D about a year ago, I wanted to refresh myself on the basics just like you. After checking with a few centres, the timing of the course on Basic Photography was just right for me at SLCC. After making some arrangements over the phone, I got to the centre. They actually had a talk with me and found out that the basic course may not be what I needed as I already had the basic know-how. We finally narrowed it down to the Still life course as I had to learn more about lighting, etc. I had my initial doubts about the standard of the centre when I looked at the place - a rather small place which doubles up as a studio, classroom, office and processing centre. In fact, we actually had our lessons along the corridor on the first night. However, I can vouch for the professionalism of the teachers and staff there, they are not there to just earn your buck, they really want to teach you how to take good photos. They take the time to make sure I learn the correct stuff and even on a one to one basis sometimes.

Well, I am not sure about who is disguising and promoting their stuff but I guess this is a free world and you are always at liberty to check things out first before signing up.

All the best in your search and may you enjoy your photography just as I have thoroughly enjoyed mine.

cheers :)

eng_keow said:
Hi truth-photographer,

I am a paediatrician by profession, which hopefully makes what I am going to say trust-worthy and reliable. I have attended a course on Still Life by Proimage in SLCC. When I got hold of my 300D about a year ago, I wanted to refresh myself on the basics just like you. After checking with a few centres, the timing of the course on Basic Photography was just right for me at SLCC. After making some arrangements over the phone, I got to the centre. They actually had a talk with me and found out that the basic course may not be what I needed as I already had the basic know-how. We finally narrowed it down to the Still life course as I had to learn more about lighting, etc. I had my initial doubts about the standard of the centre when I looked at the place - a rather small place which doubles up as a studio, classroom, office and processing centre. In fact, we actually had our lessons along the corridor on the first night. However, I can vouch for the professionalism of the teachers and staff there, they are not there to just earn your buck, they really want to teach you how to take good photos. They take the time to make sure I learn the correct stuff and even on a one to one basis sometimes.

Well, I am not sure about who is disguising and promoting their stuff but I guess this is a free world and you are always at liberty to check things out first before signing up.

All the best in your search and may you enjoy your photography just as I have thoroughly enjoyed mine.

cheers :)

ek,

thanks for that. the most important thing is that you learn something along the way. as you can see, sometimes u do not need a fanciful big studios with expensive equipments to learn photography. at least you know that anywhere you can learn photography.

we put our heart and soul to teach. along the way we receive some monetary to pay our rental and service equipments, buying new props, backdrops and passing our knowledge and skills. so it's worth every penny you spend.

for $200 of your Singapore Dollars, you will get the most comprehensive Basic Photography you will ever get to learn from us. We at SLCC which started our courses just about 14 months ago with only 3 students on our first ever lesson.

Now the actual total head count to date, we have more than 300 plus students that when through our courses with just 3 lecturers. Not just the Basic Photography but other courses that we offer as well.

as ek has mentioned, we do not just take in any students. we go through every single individual to test their ability before accepting them.

jen said:
Hi truth photographer,

Welcome to Clubsnap-the portal to a wealth of photography-related information on courses, workshops, equipments and etc. It is from these information that we use to our advantage or otherwise misinterpret and misunderstand that led to false impressions.

It is definitely consumers' right to shop around and compare courses so that we eventually find one that is suitable for us. However if one does not have full knowledge or have done good research on the courses available in the market, it is not fair to make rude comments at the expense of others esp. to those who open such courses.

Since this is an information sharing forum, let me share with you my experience with SLCC. First, I took up SLCC's basic photography course then I proceeded with their actual day wedding photography course. It was only till the actual day wedding course that Stanley and Joanne realized my exposure problem. Exposure is an important aspect of photography, it is something they thought I should have mastered in their basic course. As such, they were very puzzled, of course but they did not ignore my exposure problem. Instead, they were more anxious than me to rectify my problem. They even went to great extent for me to re-attend their basic course again with their new instructor at NO COST, FREE. Now my exposure problem is solved and I have built up my confidence in taking good photos.

On a final note, I am in no way trying to promote SLCC or their courses. Just want to relate the truth and honour a place where good photography can be learnt with good, sincere and friendly people!

I hope you are able to find a course that is suitable for you.

Good day!

thanks jen! you could not have said better than me. don't worry you are not promoting us. you are just stating facts.

jen said:
Hi truth photographer,

Welcome to Clubsnap-the portal to a wealth of photography-related information on courses, workshops, equipments and etc. It is from these information that we use to our advantage or otherwise misinterpret and misunderstand that led to false impressions.

It is definitely consumers' right to shop around and compare courses so that we eventually find one that is suitable for us. However if one does not have full knowledge or have done good research on the courses available in the market, it is not fair to make rude comments at the expense of others esp. to those who open such courses.

Since this is an information sharing forum, let me share with you my experience with SLCC. First, I took up SLCC's basic photography course then I proceeded with their actual day wedding photography course. It was only till the actual day wedding course that Stanley and Joanne realized my exposure problem. Exposure is an important aspect of photography, it is something they thought I should have mastered in their basic course. As such, they were very puzzled, of course but they did not ignore my exposure problem. Instead, they were more anxious than me to rectify my problem. They even went to great extent for me to re-attend their basic course again with their new instructor at NO COST, FREE. Now my exposure problem is solved and I have built up my confidence in taking good photos.

On a final note, I am in no way trying to promote SLCC or their courses. Just want to relate the truth and honour a place where good photography can be learnt with good, sincere and friendly people!

I hope you are able to find a course that is suitable for you.

Good day!

Thanks Jen,
We are really glad that your exposure problem is solved :)
Shoot more and come down to find us .... I'm sure ur confidence level will be up in no time. I can see that ur photos are getting better and better !! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.