bangkok

Status
Not open for further replies.

offspring

Jun 3, 2003
www.momofuku.asia
gonna be based in bkk for several months. am trying to do a photostory while there, some topics on head are:

1) a-day-in-the-life of some occupation (e.g. muay thai boxer, monk, etc)
2) specific places

any ideas, contacts or anyone based in bkk who wants to shoot with me?

pm me. cheers

Haha... I wished you had got this a few months earlier... Now I'm gonna have to move back to S'pore... Anyways, you might wanna take a look at Wat Arun and the monks there...

Cheers,
Nick

maybe can do a photostory about the pple living in squatters amidst the city area? they seem to be tucked away from the public;s eye, yet their existence really casts the sad truth abt city-living

have fun.
let me know if there is any area you like to explore.
help you check it out on the map.
check out sukhumvit, nanaplaza, soi cowboy,
thonglor, try the royal dragon restaurant so big they use roller skates.
go to spa at bayan tree BKK in Sathorn. you can see the whole nice BKK on one side.
and the squatter hut colony on other side below you from the 58 sty high spa.

do a story on Pinklao - off the tourist track but on other side of BKK river chao phyra

You might also wanna try Suan Phlu, which is near the Sathorn area, if you go to my 'Thailand' gallery you can see a few photos of the aftermath of the Suan Phlu fire which burnt a whole squatter village down. You might wanna take a look at what has happened and the people who lived there now live close by so you could talk to them too.

Cheers,
Nick

thanks for the info - was thinking of doing a more "involved" photostory of a particular thai - as opposed to cursory photography of people.

keep the ideas coming. thanks

I told you already.... do the "patpong erection" shoot.

Erection of the patong stalls, that is. Its about 5pm and its like a well rehersed orchestrated mess or a competition, as they scramble to put up the stalls.

eudon said:
I told you already.... do the "patpong erection" shoot.

Erection of the patong stalls, that is. Its about 5pm and its like a well rehersed orchestrated mess or a competition, as they scramble to put up the stalls.

This is a fantastic idea ... I was there to witness it a few time and it still amazes me how fast and well co-ordinated they are when setting up the stalls. Better still ... do one after the night is over when they are packing up ... just as fast and well co-ordinated ... even at 2-3 am at night.

y52bd6.jpg

y52bdu.jpg

y52bdv.jpg
y52bdw.jpg

Just some things I did a year ago ... all done in B/W film and scanned

RGDs

offspring said:
thanks for the info - was thinking of doing a more "involved" photostory of a particular thai - as opposed to cursory photography of people.

keep the ideas coming. thanks

In order to get "more involved" you need to get to know the people well enough for you to shadow them on a daily basis (maybe for a week) to do your photostory ... The This people are very friendly and I feel that the easiest to make them feel at ease and to gain their trust is to be honest with them on what you want to do. And also very importantly, start learning the language ... once that barrier is broken, they will treat you more like a local and a friend, than just another visitor/photographer.

Hope that helps ....

RGDs

Status
Not open for further replies.