Band of Brothers - any1 watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is the original VCD set ?

Originally posted by rayman

An amazing feature is a 130m long elevator shaft that leads to the Nest proper. Doesn't sound like anything major now but remember that this elevator system was built WAY back in the 1940s. The lift is made (I think) entirely from copper. And it looks exactly like the one in the series.

FYI - fully ELECTRICAL functioning lifts have been operating since the later part of the 1870s. Of course the first TRUE modern day lift (founded on safety) was demostrated at the Crystal Palace Expo by Mr Otis (and his French collegue, Chretien) in 1889. :)

And I don't think its made out of copper - more probably it was plated in brass. Copper is too highly reactive (and conductive) an element to adorn a lift carriage. (not to mention expensive) :D

btw - those who wanna get copies could try looking over at Xtremeplace's buy & sell forum. Do note that this series is banned (if the local censorship body hasn't reclassified the DVD series yet).

Originally posted by Dagger

try china, it's far cheaper there. saw it at carrefour.

great series!

Where is china ? I hope you are not referring to the Zhong Guo, China.

my brother just bought it(DVD) and today I started watching it, was at part 6 now.

It was simply amazing. :thumbsup: I tot SPR was the best war film, untill I watch this.

Where in Singapore can we buy the original BOB DVDs ? Is it banned here ? Grammaphone told me so when I asked about it 3 weeks ago.

The shop in Pensiular Plaza selling at $70. Any one know how is the quality of the pictures ? Was tempted to buy it just now.

Originally posted by ninelives
my brother just bought it(DVD) and today I started watching it, was at part 6 now.

It was simply amazing. :thumbsup: I tot SPR was the best war film, untill I watch this.

Originally posted by Larry
erm... i'm not THAT desperate. besides, military life doesn't agree with me... ;p

strangely enough, i used to play with the old WW2 Mark 1 and Mark 4 rifles (actual ones, not toys or replicates). brings back some memories. of course they couldn't fire a single shot but i was told that they were more accurate than the M16s nowsadays.

The Lee Enfields? Must have been in NCC.

Originally posted by kiwitan
Where in Singapore can we buy the original BOB DVDs ? Is it banned here ? Grammaphone told me so when I asked about it 3 weeks ago.

The shop in Pensiular Plaza selling at $70. Any one know how is the quality of the pictures ? Was tempted to buy it just now.

The original BOB dvd is banned in singapore. Quite silly since it seems to me that the version showed on HBO was uncut (SPR was also showed uncut on HBO). All the violence and swearing was left intact.

The Peninsula one is a duplicate of the original dvd version so quality is good. Comes with the bonus disc.

there is some nude scene in Disc 5..
Originally posted by Derrick

The original BOB dvd is banned in singapore. Quite silly since it seems to me that the version showed on HBO was uncut (SPR was also showed uncut on HBO). All the violence and swearing was left intact.

The Peninsula one is a duplicate of the original dvd version so quality is good. Comes with the bonus disc.

If u guys like the movies like SPR or BOB, and if u like computer games, try the Close Combat(CC) Series of war games.

1)Close Combat
2)Close Combat 2 "A bridge too far"
3)Close Combat 3 "The Russian Front"
4)Close Combat 4 "Battle of the Bulge"
5)Close Combat 5 "Normandy"

I am a game fan of these games and there were many scenarios that parallel those in BOB and SPR. Ie Omaha Beach, Bastogne. And I get to play the Germans!!Btw, any CC gamers out there??

Originally posted by Derrick

hehe, like many others in hardwarezone, we don't like censorship. come on man, i am not going to get a Thomson and blow bluestrike's head off. :D

I watched the DVD R1 Set. It was FANTASTIC for realism!!! Don't forget disk 6!!!

Originally posted by StreetShooter
The Lee Enfields? Must have been in NCC.
not sure if they were Lee Enfields (i'm not familiar with them) but they're the sames ones used in the BoB series (like the one Winters uses).

and nope, not from NCC. NS actually, precision drill squad. those things weigh a ton... ;p

Originally posted by PentiumPC
there is some nude scene in Disc 5..
ya there is... very short only but quite funny. should watch... ;)

Originally posted by pyre

FYI - fully ELECTRICAL functioning lifts have been operating since the later part of the 1870s. Of course the first TRUE modern day lift (founded on safety) was demostrated at the Crystal Palace Expo by Mr Otis (and his French collegue, Chretien) in 1889. :)

And I don't think its made out of copper - more probably it was plated in brass. Copper is too highly reactive (and conductive) an element to adorn a lift carriage. (not to mention expensive) :D

Ohh.. Pyre thanx for the lesson in elevator history and metal properties :)

The amazing thing is not really the technology of the elevator but more of the 130m shaft. 130m vaguely translates to a 30 storey high building. Given that the shaft was made at such a high altitude and in such geographical conditions, it certainly wowed me! :eek:

Silly me... I think it's brass indeed, not copper. If it was copper, the entire lift car will be covered with the greenish oxide, no? You're right... you're right... :D

Originally posted by kiwitan

is it the bootleg version? anyway that's the only shop selling??

Originally posted by kongg
If u guys like the movies like SPR or BOB, and if u like computer games, try the Close Combat(CC) Series of war games.

1)Close Combat

I am a game fan of these games and there were many scenarios that parallel those in BOB and SPR. Ie Omaha Beach, Bastogne. And I get to play the Germans!!Btw, any CC gamers out there??

yes yes

i agree!

close combat is the best computer games i have ever played

i have played version 1-4 and still think that 2: a bridge too far is still the most captivating

I bought the DVD from peninsula. But always 3 of the DVDs are not working. Changed a few times still cannot. Anyone have this problem too?

Originally posted by TSC
I bought the DVD from peninsula. But always 3 of the DVDs are not working. Changed a few times still cannot. Anyone have this problem too?

could it be your DVD player problem ??

Originally posted by kongg

1)Close Combat

i do play CC2....but sux at it...always pwn by com....
:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.