Bag or Tripod?

Absolutly Bag

:)
index.jpg

bags always got temporary alternatives like regular backpacks or sports sling bag etc etc to improvise until you save up enough for a dream camera bag

Through the many outings over the last few years ..... some lady photogs actually show up with their camera stuffed into their handbags !!

But tripod is tripod ... there are just too many situations where using a table-top or book or beanbag will just not cut it

get tripod first and modify (stuff a newspaper or towel to protect from knocks and drops) an existing whatever bag you have to keep the camera

.... and dont cheapskate on the tripod ..... get something solid and heavy .... read the other thread on tripods

p/s unless of course you can tahan for the time being without being able to go out shooting landscapes / fireworks at night or sunrises/sunsets then get the bag first

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm new to DSLR photography. Just got my Canon 60D with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM recently.

Here's my humble 2c worth:

Before purchasing anything else, get a dry cabinet ASAP to protect your investment. The hundred odd dollars spent protect thousands.

Between bag or tripod, it depends on what genre of photography you are currently pursuing.

If you're into fireworks, timelapse & night photography, a tripod is an ABSOLUTE MUST.

For landscape, architecture, studio, product, food, macro or any photography which involves static subjects, a tripod is a good-to-have unless there's a good amount of light. In which case, you can get away with handheld.

Even with the high ISO capabilities of our DSLRs allowing us to capture decent images handheld, you may mind the graininess of the resultant images, which can be minimized with lower ISOs requiring a longer exposure. That would benefit from the stability of a tripod in order to prevent camera shake (even if your lens is equipped with image stabilization).

Action photography can also benefit from a monopod to help relief the weight burden of a long telephoto and allow smoother swiveling when panning for that background blur action shot.

Street, photojournalism are some genres which do not need a tripod.

Bags are just there to protect your gear during transport and travel. Unless you're a pro or a well-heeled enthusiast who travel with multiple bodies, primes and telephotos requiring a trolley bag, any bag is fine, be it a freebie that comes with your purchase or a pre-owned bag from CS Personal Classifieds.

Try to get the best tripod you can afford as a good one will last for years and served you well. You'll need to trust it to support thousands of dollars worth of gear atop it. A carbon fiber tripod would be great for superior strength, rigidity and lightweight. Moreover, with the abuse tripods can take, carbon fiber will take the inevitable nicks a bit better than anodized magnesium alloy or aluminium from a cosmetic point of view (or so I'd like to imagine).

need dry cab if u have few lens and body....and dont shoot frequently.....

if shoot frequently and only a single body n lens or 2 lens dont need any dry cab....

if only shoot in sg...and tight budget dont buy anything....shoot until a time u will know what u meed most or u ll alr saved up for sthg better....

travelling....thn bag come first....or a pouch cheap.....anyway bag also u will buy a few if u suddenly increase ur gears.....

so in the end u will def spend.... ^_^

need dry cab if u have few lens and body....and dont shoot frequently.....

if shoot frequently and only a single body n lens or 2 lens dont need any dry cab....

if only shoot in sg...and tight budget dont buy anything....shoot until a time u will know what u meed most or u ll alr saved up for sthg better....

travelling....thn bag come first....or a pouch cheap.....anyway bag also u will buy a few if u suddenly increase ur gears.....

so in the end u will def spend.... ^_^

please, don't use text-speak when chatting here. it helps the older folk (i'm young but heck, i'm having a tough time deciphering what you just left behind) to understand what you're talking about.

getting a dry cabinet is necessary as you mentioned. definitely is. and a dry cabinet holds more than just your camera gear.

in any instance, getting a Tripod is better if TS is a landscaper. if TS loves hand-held shooting like events or streets, then a dry cabinet is better.

as others have pointed out, a bag is not necessary, because you can convert almost any bag you have (depending on gear size) to hold your stuff.

Is the TS still around? Haha.

I think he probably decided already since the tread is already almost a month old.

Anyway, I think get what helps you get your camera glued to you first. Bag.

Tripods are awesome and I love shooting with them but if you have a good bag you are not going to have a lot of chances to use that tripod because you'll be too lazy to bring the camera out. (Especially DSLRs)

Is the TS still around? Haha.

I think he probably decided already since the tread is already almost a month old.

Anyway, I think get what helps you get your camera glued to you first. Bag.

Tripods are awesome and I love shooting with them but if you have a good bag you are not going to have a lot of chances to use that tripod because you'll be too lazy to bring the camera out. (Especially DSLRs)

I suspect he took my advice and he went to get more money first. Maybe now he busy working so as to have the money to buy both, thus no time to check back the thread. He will eventually return to ask, get ball head or pan head, and get haversack or shoulder bag. I will repeat the same advice again, get more money.

I suspect he took my advice and he went to get more money first. Maybe now he busy working so as to have the money to buy both, thus no time to check back the thread. He will eventually return to ask, get ball head or pan head, and get haversack or shoulder bag. I will repeat the same advice again, get more money.

Hahah. I actually went with tripod first (used a normal unattractive bag) and I think my "new" bag changed everything. I bring my camera out a lot more than I used to. It made all the difference

As for tripod... Anything that is lightweight enough to bring it along often. Quite straight forward la. Pan or ball no difference if it stays in your storeroom.

Still best to try out something first before buying I guess. Go borrow from a friend and shoot it out