fish

Jan 18, 2002
www.fishie.com
cracked_olympus_sensor.jpg

cracked_olympus_sensor2.jpg

close up

bad luck? suey? fate?
probably that's some people call it. haizz... :cry:

couple of weeks back, saw this funny line on the sensor while changing lens. thought it was some kinda dust or dirt line. heart macam stopped a beat when i took a closer look and saw the crack.

never had i dropped the camera before. usage was rather low coz use it like only a couple of times a month. would have remembered pretty well if i have dropped or knocked it hard. there weren't any marks on the body or the case to evident a bad drop. even if there's a drop, i do wonder how the glass/sensor in there can crack.. thus, just my luck.

so i rushed down to the svc centre one day for evaluation. verified the sensor (or sensor's glass) cracked. quoted me around $480 for the replacement part. :cry: took it back home unrepaired coz the price was rather out for me to for fork out. warranty's already out coz got this like a couple of years back.

just sharing this with you folks out there. do take care of your loved ones, i mean your cameras.. you wouldn't want this happen to you. :cry:

Sorry to hear this, but the best way is to deal with this just fully utilize your camera whenever you can, they are just merely tools for us create images. So when the day come, we just let it go.
You don't see a carpenter cry over a saw, or a artist cry over a paint bush right?

Doesn't look really like a crack, at most chipped, the big line looks too clean to be crack, but that's just my own guess. I think you're really just suay, I've dropped my Nikon D3 and banged my E-1 without and issues to lenses or cameras. One of my photography student used a brushed to clean his sensor, but that brush was meant for cleaning lenses, end up a piece of the brush got stuck on the sensor.

I've reread your post a couple of times and I have a question, does it affect your photos? If it doesn't, then good that it doesn't and just suay, if it does, then just repair lor, I also used my Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro a few times (got it second hand), then the AF died, spent 250 to replace the AF motor. Even if warranty was still available, doubt it's covered

Last edited:
is the crack affecting your pictures?

Sorry to hear that. Wonder what happened.

I think this is more likely to affect M4/3 than say, FF or APS-C, the crop factor will result in greater "DOF". Just my guess. In any case, I think wide open for faster lenses might still be fine. :)

Sorry to hear this, but the best way is to deal with this just fully utilize your camera whenever you can, they are just merely tools for us create images. So when the day come, we just let it go.
You don't see a carpenter cry over a saw, or a artist cry over a paint bush right?
sure can accept it as fate. but still a little sad/sore lah.

Doesn't look really like a crack, at most chipped, the big line looks too clean to be crack, but that's just my own guess. I think you're really just suay, I've dropped my Nikon D3 and banged my E-1 without and issues to lenses or cameras. One of my photography student used a brushed to clean his sensor, but that brush was meant for cleaning lenses, end up a piece of the brush got stuck on the sensor.

I've reread your post a couple of times and I have a question, does it affect your photos? If it doesn't, then good that it doesn't and just suay, if it does, then just repair lor, I also used my Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro a few times (got it second hand), then the AF died, spent 250 to replace the AF motor. Even if warranty was still available, doubt it's covered
nvr got such a major mishap like this with my other cams or lenses. so yeah, learning to deal with it. :p

it does affect a little bit.
it's those "when you see it, you won't be able to un-see it" kinda situation. to the untrained eyes, won't be able to see.
is the crack affecting your pictures?
as above bro. :)

Absolutely agree with you. Camera equipment are, but tools. Losing the harddisk with your photos in them, that is a different thing altogether!

cracked_olympus_sensor.jpg

cracked_olympus_sensor2.jpg

close up

bad luck? suey? fate?
probably that's some people call it. haizz... :cry:

couple of weeks back, saw this funny line on the sensor while changing lens. thought it was some kinda dust or dirt line. heart macam stopped a beat when i took a closer look and saw the crack.

never had i dropped the camera before. usage was rather low coz use it like only a couple of times a month. would have remembered pretty well if i have dropped or knocked it hard. there weren't any marks on the body or the case to evident a bad drop. even if there's a drop, i do wonder how the glass/sensor in there can crack.. thus, just my luck.

so i rushed down to the svc centre one day for evaluation. verified the sensor (or sensor's glass) cracked. quoted me around $480 for the replacement part. :cry: took it back home unrepaired coz the price was rather out for me to for fork out. warranty's already out coz got this like a couple of years back.

just sharing this with you folks out there. do take care of your loved ones, i mean your cameras.. you wouldn't want this happen to you. :cry:

Sorry to see that you have to deal with this heartache. Hope at some point this gives you a reason to upgrade to the EM1 or the next OM-D.

sure can accept it as fate. but still a little sad/sore lah.

nvr got such a major mishap like this with my other cams or lenses. so yeah, learning to deal with it. :p

it does affect a little bit.
it's those "when you see it, you won't be able to un-see it" kinda situation. to the untrained eyes, won't be able to see.

as above bro. :)

Then that really sucks a lot, now is either repair or buy a new camera, maybe can consider using it as a video camera instead? Since moving images, less likely to notice imperfections in the clips?

Bad luck indeed :(

Yah, I think not worth it to repair. Repair cost of $480 vs replacement cost of $800+.. might as well get a new one.

Bad luck indeed :(

Yah, I think not worth it to repair. Repair cost of $480 vs replacement cost of $800+.. might as well get a new one.

In the meantime, shoot wider and crop. At least the the crack is in the corner. When the time comes to get a replacement, convert this one to IR.

What happens when you use pixel mapping?

What happens when you use pixel mapping?

When using Pixel mapping , the camera checks for dead or stuck pixels. These pixels are identified are software is used to insert data to mimic their behaviors if they were still working

That said , there's no need to perform this often. Maybe once a year and there are users who don't ever use this function too

When using Pixel mapping , the camera checks for dead or stuck pixels. These pixels are identified are software is used to insert data to mimic their behaviors if they were still working

That said , there's no need to perform this often. Maybe once a year and there are users who don't ever use this function too

I meant for his cracked sensor. Maybe it will make the defect less obvious after using pixel mapping.

I meant for his cracked sensor. Maybe it will make the defect less obvious after using pixel mapping.

No idea :) fish bro , since u said the chip/crack impacts IQ , might as well try out pixel mapping and see how it goes ? Will be good to share the results here too.

Hey, just a suggestion. Perhaps it's only a surface crack or defect on the sensor glass, not damage to the sensor itself...

Instead of changing the sensor, maybe you can...

Convert to IR. Since IR conversion involves changing the glass and the AA/ir-cut filter infront of the sensor and replacing it with a filter or clear glass (full spectrum) any way.

Why not bring it down to camera hospital for a check?

Last edited:
seems like always good to have a product under warranty, just in case things do happen.

Would something like that be covered under a warranty?

seems like always good to have a product under warranty, just in case things do happen.

That's pretty much a given, isn't it? :) Not really a choice in this case as TS has owned the camera for some years, it wasn't out of warranty because it was a grey market item, etc.