Bad experience buying lemon lens from CSer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes agreed with Stoned.

When buying lenses whether new or used one: 1) Check the glass with a penlight shine into it and around the glass surfaces to look out for particles, bubbles, scratches, dust, fungus. 2) Use your camera to check all apertures settings (every single one!) and check the Depth of Field function too. 3) Check focusing whether can lock on near, far objects. 4) Make sure the zoom is smooth & at different zooming will give you correct perspective. 5) Check all the finishing, look out for mount damages, dents, cracks, etc. 6) Check filter threads 7) Shake the lens and feel if there's anything lose or screws dropped-out inside. 8) Last, haggles like mad to bring down the price.:)

S11loop said:
domke bag are damn tough build ... which bag u are using and how much weight load u are carrying ? its a solid bag and i dont think it suppose to wear down if u are on normal usage

sidetrack...

domke bags aren't tough at all. if u want tough and durable, get Billingham. Lowepro too.

rueyloon said:
sometimes things happen after the sale, so you can't blame the seller.

once I bought a domke bag, the side pockets gave way after about 2 uses, I just associate it as the risk with buying second hand good, else it would be better to purchase 1st hand if you expect nothing to go wrong...... what do you guys think ?

cheers :)

I agree with you. If I were more experienced and careful, sure I can spot the defect.
The seller can also argue that I caused the damage after buying.

This is the risk of buying without warranty for 2nd hand.

vbs1979 said:
so far, i have bought 2 lens, 1 reverse ring and exchange a PnS cam. No problems at all.
i think you shld trade with more reputable members. Fyi, maybe u can just check their past posting before you proceed further. Generally, when the warranty has expired, the seller may give personal warranty for up to a week. IMO, the sellers in CS are ok and fair. :)

Good point dude. Actually, after I found the problem, I went back into CS site and search for his postings and found he asked a few questions on this lens etc.

In retrospect, his posting was vague on the age of lens. However, I have to say the seller was honest that he told me the lens was good at short range and not very sharp when at high zoom (200mm-300mm range). Its just hard for me to accept the fact that someone who owns a 1D didni't even try shooting in manual mode or Av! Well, some ppl are very rich I suppose.

BTW the seller did entertain my sms and emails asking him if he had this problem before.... its very hard for me to conclude if he really know about this problem.

Well, no way / point judging the seller anymore. Just (expensive) lessons learned.

Moonstone said:
Yes agreed with Stoned.

When buying lenses whether new or used one: 1) Check the glass with a penlight shine into it and around the glass surfaces to look out for particles, bubbles, scratches, dust, fungus. 2) Use your camera to check all apertures settings (every single one!) and check the Depth of Field function too. 3) Check focusing whether can lock on near, far objects. 4) Make sure the zoom is smooth & at different zooming will give you correct perspective. 5) Check all the finishing, look out for mount damages, dents, cracks, etc. 6) Check filter threads 7) Shake the lens and feel if there's anything lose or screws dropped-out inside. 8) Last, haggles like mad to bring down the price.:)

Dudes, I think we should write some sort of sticky post on newbie's guide to buying 2nd hand lens, if it has not been done. Not that CS sellers are dishonest, but we can help fellow CSers to buy what they need and be happy.

Unfortunately I am not experienced enough with testing lens for this task :bsmilie:

wah, after reading all these postings, i think i'm too inexperienced at telling any defects in a lens... so i shan't buy 2nd hand lens here...:bsmilie:

that will be open to abuse..... just like ebay.com. reputation does spread by word of mouth.

Another sour buyer. Blamed it on his inexperience and naive mind. Can't blame for the seller.

ConnorMcLeod said:
Dudes, I think we should write some sort of sticky post on newbie's guide to buying 2nd hand lens, if it has not been done. Not that CS sellers are dishonest, but we can help fellow CSers to buy what they need and be happy.

Unfortunately I am not experienced enough with testing lens for this task :bsmilie:

It's okay to learn from mistakes. When I first started photography many years ago, I was also careless in observing lens inspection technique; bought a 50mm f1.4 lens, just like what you did, didn't check thoroughly went home played with it. THEN... one of the lens mount screw dropped into my film SLR get clogged between the shutter blades! Repair cost for my 1.5yrs old SLR cost S$350 plus service charges! (the shutter blades were damaged):angry:

BTW, the method in checking lenses is just a preventive measure, sometimes even with this check in place, things still may happen. It all depends on luck.:bsmilie:

Hi, ConnorMcLeod. Take it in your strides, don't let this thing be a hindrance in your effort in exploring the beauty of photography.:)

When you buy something. regardless of where you buy it from, you are taking a risk. So you better check properly the item before buying. Bring someone along if you don't have the experience. Most people is CS B&S are legit however like in any online forum there will be a few bad apples. Take it as an experience. I guess now you are wiser.

Cheesecake said:
sidetrack...

domke bags aren't tough at all. if u want tough and durable, get Billingham. Lowepro too.
Whats the beef with domke ? Have bag from the 3 companies - all of them are dam tough. My domke was my 3 bag more than a decade ago it now serves as my flash lights bag. The Billingham is too tough - bought it 2nd off a friend but found it was not quite how I want to carry my bags. The Lowpro small is my day to day bag and its larger brother my overseas bag. All of them are tough cookies - they could with minimum care last you a lifetime ( I guess).

That's why I never buy 2nd hand stuffs... Never.. :bsmilie:

"Let the buyer beware" is the operating guideline when ever you buy. Even new , u need to check it out before you pay and take it home. Does not matter that you are dealing with Ah Kiong you photo equipment supplier for the last 10 years - you still check. If you did not do so then it's not fair to say people knowingly sold a lemon to you... Return policy let say it cuts both ways - what is you screwed up dropping, mishandling or plain had a change of mind after the transaction ? Tried that at Cathay . Alan Photo ?

rueyloon said:
I have the f2.

When it gave way, I had 4 batteries in it, I discover the hole because the batteries dropped out 1 by 1. 1 week later, the other side pocket opened up the same hole. about 1 month later, the same pocket developed another hole..... :|

Have you checked your cupboard for silverfish? I don't think bags will start developing holes within days unless the material is already totally worn, in which case, it would have been really obvious when you purchased it. Or did the hole occur at the seams?

yanyewkay said:
bought a lens.. and found it to be hazy.. and it's not detectable easily.. :( sent for cleaning $85... :cry: and I tot i saved money from buying 2nd hand..

the others I bought were in good condition though.

Was it a Sigma lens? I have a 17mm one that turned hazy for no apparent reason. Asked the friend who sold it to me about it and he said that its the degradation of the lens coating. Heard its a known phenomenon. Anyway, can't blame my friend as I had already used it a few years before it happened. Too bad its a superwide angle or else can use as a portrait lens with built in soft filter :)

eric69 said:
Another sour buyer. Blamed it on his inexperience and naive mind. Can't blame for the seller.

I don't think this is a fair statement to make. :nono:

Just to add on to those already mentioned, new lens also got lemon, even brand new lens from well-known camera shop also got lemon, so learning how to inspect a lens is important for a photographer / buyer.

ConnorMcLeod said:
Good point dude. Actually, after I found the problem, I went back into CS site and search for his postings and found he asked a few questions on this lens etc.

In retrospect, his posting was vague on the age of lens. However, I have to say the seller was honest that he told me the lens was good at short range and not very sharp when at high zoom (200mm-300mm range). Its just hard for me to accept the fact that someone who owns a 1D didni't even try shooting in manual mode or Av! Well, some ppl are very rich I suppose.

BTW the seller did entertain my sms and emails asking him if he had this problem before.... its very hard for me to conclude if he really know about this problem.

Well, no way / point judging the seller anymore. Just (expensive) lessons learned.

seems like a classic case of one of those old Sigmas requiring a rechip. Your seller might not have even known of this problem since it may not have occured on his 1D. Caveat emptor - you have to know which lenses are compatible and which are not with your own camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.