Backpacking in europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
updated iternary!
May29 - June4 Greece -Athens
June 4- June 4 Italty to Bari (fly 40mins)
June 5 - Bari to Rome (train 4hrs )
June 6-8 Rome
June 8 Rome to venice (depart rome at 1725 reach 1830)
june 9-10 venice
june 10 venice to prague
june 11- 15 prague
june 16-17 Frankfurt

basically now its like 6 days greeces, 3.5days rome, 2.5 days venice, 5days prague, 2days frankfurt

hope got lots to do in prague!!! i put 5 days as no flight in other days.

btw EU rail is expensive.
my original plan will cost $1000 on EU rail.
now flying and taking only 1 rail, 1m spending only $690 on travels

Do remember to factor in the travel time from city to city. You might find that you actually have less time to spend in the area then what you originally planned.

hi TS,

there are sites such as eurotrip.com and tripadvisor.com which u can use if u want. :)

updated iternary!
June 6-8 Rome
june 9-10 venice
june 10 venice to prague
june 11- 15 prague
june 16-17 Frankfurt

basically now its like 6 days greeces, 3.5days rome, 2.5 days venice, 5days prague, 2days frankfurt

Just want u to take note. If u are flying by budget airline, they have strict regulation on the size of ur bagpack. Well... if ur bagpack is not too big, u can carry it with u on-board free, but if it's too big then they will force u to check-in and that will cost u in the region of 20-25 euro. I was asked to check-in my bag when I was at the Amsterdam airport. My bag is 70litre, fyi. So if urs is abt the same size as mine, juz take note. Sometimes they close one eye, sometimes they dun. :)

updated iternary looks pretty alright, some comments on the countries below.

greece - dun spend too much time at athens, nothing much apart from museums and the Acropolis. To me the Acropolis and the National Archaeological Museum of Athen are the only 2 places worth really going to in Athens.

Islands make sure you go to Santorini hehe....a place you will fall in love with, especially if you're there with a loved one. Its probably the peak season there now, make sure you book your accom/hostels in advance there.

Rome 3.5days is good enough.

venice 2 days is enough as well, if you want to save on costs, you don't necessary have to stay on the main city island itself, the hotels on the outskirt is much cheaper and only a 15mins bus ride from the hotels near the bridge leading to venice.

Prague. 5 days is way too long, 2-3 days is more advisable, perhaps you can squeeze in Vienna as it is really near to prague.

updated iternary!
June 6-8 Rome
june 9-10 venice
june 10 venice to prague
june 11- 15 prague
june 16-17 Frankfurt

Ricleo :)

Sidetracked abit, actually...I preferred Mykonos.
I went to both islands recently with a bigger expectation for Santorini...but unfortunately, I was kinda disappointed.

The white and blue town of Mykonos are really very very nice...

Maybe the TS can flickr the photos of both places, and see which is the one you prefer?
The hotels are really expensive during peak season, I paid 100 euros for my suite (off peak season in April) and was told it will be 230 euros during peak season!

Btw, how are you going to Athens?
I flew direct from Milan to Mykonos, just FYI.

Last edited:
yes i heard mykonos is a nice place too, especially if you are into partying :) The only reason why i did not go there was because i was there in early may, which was still off peak season and we could not get the limited boat schedules to fit into our timings :)

agree that 5 days for prague a bit long... considerations can be given to innsbruck, salzburg, vienna or cesky krumlov be4 going to prague. These are lovely cities as well. Gd luck.

updated iternary looks pretty alright, some comments on the countries below.

greece - dun spend too much time at athens, nothing much apart from museums and the Acropolis. To me the Acropolis and the National Archaeological Museum of Athen are the only 2 places worth really going to in Athens.

Islands make sure you go to Santorini hehe....a place you will fall in love with, especially if you're there with a loved one. Its probably the peak season there now, make sure you book your accom/hostels in advance there.

Rome 3.5days is good enough.

venice 2 days is enough as well, if you want to save on costs, you don't necessary have to stay on the main city island itself, the hotels on the outskirt is much cheaper and only a 15mins bus ride from the hotels near the bridge leading to venice.

Prague. 5 days is way too long, 2-3 days is more advisable, perhaps you can squeeze in Vienna as it is really near to prague.

Just want u to take note. If u are flying by budget airline, they have strict regulation on the size of ur bagpack. Well... if ur bagpack is not too big, u can carry it with u on-board free, but if it's too big then they will force u to check-in and that will cost u in the region of 20-25 euro. I was asked to check-in my bag when I was at the Amsterdam airport. My bag is 70litre, fyi. So if urs is abt the same size as mine, juz take note. Sometimes they close one eye, sometimes they dun. :)

yea...i gonna check 1 bag in. its abt 10 euros...cos camera + tripod + computer etc etc already 1 bagpack.

i flew direct to athens.

hmm...i think i will train down to vienna too then... haven book the accomdation haha

Ricleo :)

Sidetracked abit, actually...I preferred Mykonos.
I went to both islands recently with a bigger expectation for Santorini...but unfortunately, I was kinda disappointed.

The white and blue town of Mykonos are really very very nice...

Maybe the TS can flickr the photos of both places, and see which is the one you prefer?
The hotels are really expensive during peak season, I paid 100 euros for my suite (off peak season in April) and was told it will be 230 euros during peak season!

Btw, how are you going to Athens?
I flew direct from Milan to Mykonos, just FYI.

both look super nice to me...im excited now.
i hope i just miss the peak season.

im flying direct from sg to athens. probably take a boat to santorini from priases(dunno how to spell)

If you are going to Mykonos, I can give you the contact to my hotel.
Super friendly owner who will personally pick you up at the airport/port....spend time chatting with you in the evening at the hall. Make hot chocolate at the bar for us..and was on the house!

The hotel is about 10-15 mins leisure walk to the town.

I paid 50 Euros per nite. (peak season is about 130~170 euros)
PM me if you are keen.

Your itinerary looking much better now..
If I were you, I probably change just 1 thing..spend the extra day in venice rather than rome.
Unless you are a catholic, and want to spend a full day in vatican city?

Venice is very romantic...even with thousands of tourists on the island.
No cars and therefore, it is such a lovely experience to walk around.

Just Fyi, I shoot 2x more pics in venice than in rome.
shot 2x more pics in mykonos than in santorini.

Yes, I also agree that 5 days is too long for Prague, worth to spread to Vienna or neighbouring cities. Venice is a walkng only town, you can take the water taxis & those Gondolas are about Eu70/pax depending on trips. U may not find rooms there & most cities have a premium in Summer time.

Your itinerary is quite a "gate crash" but nice fast way to see most parts of EU. Enjoy & take lots of pics.

agreed. Prague can be finished in 2 days, 3 if you MUST see the Jewish Quarter. Vienna alone takes at least 4 days (I was there for 3 days and I didn't see eveyrthing). Venice can be done in 2 days tops, it's not really that big, unless you travel up to the mainland to get to a resort.

Salzburg is beautiful, but pretty far from Vienna, but if I were you, I'd rather take a plane from Vienna to Salzburg and then travel to Neuschwanstein at the border to see the worlds most famous fairytale castle. A must see.

As a European having visited all the countries on motorcycle, in car, by plane, cruising in sailing boat where possible, gone by train earlier and hitchhiking way back in time, I recommend following:
Hitch hiking is not the option anymore. Not safe and not easy.
In Germany they have a service called Mitfahrervermitlung. It's a kind of hook up between drivers and passengers sharing expenses of fuel.
If you young there might be some offers on train tickets.
In the Mediteranian countries, scooter hire is not that expensive.
On-surface screening of places, one day here and one day there, will not give pleasure.
Prague is called Paris of the East.
It is very beatiful in the center. it is worn down by the "Russian Occupation" in the suburban areas.
For history and antic, Rome and Athens are the places.
For charm and beauty, Paris is the place.
For art, Florence and Paris are the places.
For nature, the Swiss Alps, The Amalfi coast at the peninsula south of napoli in Italy and the Greek western islands are the places.
Northern Africa and the Middle East is a totaly different culture and landscape.
Eastern Europe are still cheaper to travel than the Weatern part.
But English speaking people are not that common yet in the East.
In between, there are places to die for like Venice, old Danish villages, North Swedish forests, Dutch canal system, Norwegian fjords, French farming countryside, the Swedish and Croatian Skerries, Barcelona, Scottish Highland, Ports of Holland, the modern Berlin, the posh Northern Italy with the three lakes at the southside of the Alps; I simply don't know how to stop.

Don't think you can get it all in 2-3 weeks.
Decide what you like the most: Nature, Architecture, History, Art, Culture, People etc. and then pick 2 or three places and loose yourself those places.

Enjoy your stay.

Niklas

yea...i gonna check 1 bag in. its abt 10 euros...cos camera + tripod + computer etc etc already 1 bagpack.

i flew direct to athens.

hmm...i think i will train down to vienna too then... haven book the accomdation haha

not sure if u noe these websites to book ur hostel:
www.hostelbookers.com
www.hostelworld.com

;) u will luv europe!

If you are going to Mykonos, I can give you the contact to my hotel.
Super friendly owner who will personally pick you up at the airport/port....spend time chatting with you in the evening at the hall. Make hot chocolate at the bar for us..and was on the house!

The hotel is about 10-15 mins leisure walk to the town.

I paid 50 Euros per nite. (peak season is about 130~170 euros)
PM me if you are keen.

Your itinerary looking much better now..
If I were you, I probably change just 1 thing..spend the extra day in venice rather than rome.
Unless you are a catholic, and want to spend a full day in vatican city?

Venice is very romantic...even with thousands of tourists on the island.
No cars and therefore, it is such a lovely experience to walk around.

Just Fyi, I shoot 2x more pics in venice than in rome.
shot 2x more pics in mykonos than in santorini.

PMed u.

not a catholic...but after watching angels and demons, i want to see the place where Peter build his church that last generations.
i gonna hunt down Jesus blood and knight's templar ( just kiddling) :bsmilie:

Hi All experienced member,

Since this is about Europe so I'm going to ask about the train.
I've check the Eurail online and to me it seems quite expensive (for me), even for a city to city single trip.

I'm not going to take trains for very long, mostly just a trip from Zurich to Munich. The website shows about USD166 for this trip. The 2 country pass is USD372... Is there other train option? Thanks

now that im there...i can tell u this. just go to the train station and buy direct. its cheaper.

also check out ryanair, myair, etc buget airlines to see if there is cheap tickets.

vienna / salzburg i went before.. SO fun there..

Status
Not open for further replies.