Background materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurial_streak

Feb 23, 2006
Sengkang
Hi all,
I'm currently experimenting on still life (and "still dead"). Having read books and foolin ard wif my camera, I've come to realise the importance of a gd background (they do take up alot of the picture space). So i'm wondering:

1) What colour of background shd i have (say light subject=dark backgrd)?

2) What kind of background wld compliment my subjects (rough background for rough textured subject?)

3) What kinds of material do people use for background normally? (white cloth? black construction paper?)

4)I also noticed that for white backgrd, they often mess up the lighting thru its own reflection of light.......anyway to reduce tt?

Comments greatly appreciated. Thnx

mercurial_streak said:
Hi all,
I'm currently experimenting on still life (and "still dead"). Having read books and foolin ard wif my camera, I've come to realise the importance of a gd background (they do take up alot of the picture space). So i'm wondering:

1) What colour of background shd i have (say light subject=dark backgrd)?
Very subjective and depends on the subject.

2) What kind of background wld compliment my subjects (rough background for rough textured subject?)
See 1.

3) What kinds of material do people use for background normally? (white cloth? black construction paper?)
Studio uses some plastic materials on a stand so the floor and the background is continuous.

4)I also noticed that for white backgrd, they often mess up the lighting thru its own reflection of light.......anyway to reduce tt?
Use studio lights where you can adjust and you can use an incident light meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.