Back to DSLR

jacktjk

May 9, 2004
Singapore
HI Bros

just wonder , any body go back to DSIR after using the XT1 , XE2 or X Pro , thanks

I never left my nikon d600 system... two reasons - AF accuracy (not speed) and (WR) Lens selection.

I love the Fuji colors, size and quality of current lens selection. Give it a few more years (better firmware, more lens) its really going to be a system that people can convert and never go back.

missing the confidence in the focus ?

dslr - aim, half click, click.
fuji - aim, half click, *pray*, shift a bit, half click, *pray*, *curse*, half click at same spot, *pissed*, *bah*, click it anyway..

or just missing the weight ? :p

What's amiss?

Me missing good wide angle with shift lens for architecture stuff. So far there is no straightforward solution that is affordable than the dslr (and nope, I don't like the extra steps needed to use digital editing tools to correct the distortion).

Nevertheless, I still like the weight, look and feel of the x-series. It is still a great camera for a lot of genre of photography other than architecture.

Me missing good wide angle with shift lens for architecture stuff. So far there is no straightforward solution that is affordable than the dslr (and nope, I don't like the extra steps needed to use digital editing tools to correct the distortion).

Nevertheless, I still like the weight, look and feel of the x-series. It is still a great camera for a lot of genre of photography other than architecture.

You're missing out on some fun stuff with fuji, go check this out - http://www.amazon.com/Rainbowimaging-Fujifilm-Camera-adapter-X-Pro1/dp/B00A9LFZXC/

I coupled it with my Nikon 24mm AF-D, and its plenty of fun. Check out https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkalfie/sets/72157641904097265/ for some photos I took with X-T1.

Didn't buy TS's listed X Series cameras, but bought the X100S. It became my full time casual carry around camera. Nothing beats portability and convenience.

Agree on the focus compared to DSLR though, it still has a long way to go to fully compete in this area. The confidence level for the focusing I agree, almost always made me panic alittle while taking group shots.

You're missing out on some fun stuff with fuji, go check this out - http://www.amazon.com/Rainbowimaging-Fujifilm-Camera-adapter-X-Pro1/dp/B00A9LFZXC/

I coupled it with my Nikon 24mm AF-D, and its plenty of fun. Check out https://www.flickr.com/photos/darkalfie/sets/72157641904097265/ for some photos I took with X-T1.

That's tilt. Architectural photography needs shift more than anything else..

That's tilt. Architectural photography needs shift more than anything else..

Woops, apologies !

in term of control i still find dslr better than my xe2.. tho many short cut but i just nt used to tat

Good question!

I am using D800...the dynamic range and data captured in it's RAW file is at the moment unmatched. Post process is a great fun and there's lots of versatility for creative edits. AF is snappy...

For once, I am considering jumping to mirrorless, but think of the image quality that I will lose and to invest in lenses of a new system is just too costly to me...

I had a D800. Sold it and got the X-E2 and X100S. Loved the weight or rather lack of it and yes the X100S was quickly going everywhere with me. I do help cover events like corporate dinners and events and I did a couple with my X-E2 and X100S. Got some nice shots really but missed a few good ones cos the cameras were mucking around the AF or simply not ready to go.

In the end I bought back a D800E and I use that for more activity demanding situations saving the relaxed walking around scenarios still with the Fujis. Recently got a used Leica 50mm lens and taking some nice shots with the X-E2 and loving the pictures it produces. At the end of the day I guess it is pretty much what are your needs and what are you prepare to do to get the photos you need.

I had a D800. Sold it and got the X-E2 and X100S. Loved the weight or rather lack of it and yes the X100S was quickly going everywhere with me. I do help cover events like corporate dinners and events and I did a couple with my X-E2 and X100S. Got some nice shots really but missed a few good ones cos the cameras were mucking around the AF or simply not ready to go.

In the end I bought back a D800E and I use that for more activity demanding situations saving the relaxed walking around scenarios still with the Fujis. Recently got a used Leica 50mm lens and taking some nice shots with the X-E2 and loving the pictures it produces. At the end of the day I guess it is pretty much what are your needs and what are you prepare to do to get the photos you need.

Yeah, I find having a dual system (Bulky DSLR and a Compact Mirrorless) is a decent setup if you got the space/money for it. I always had my x100s in my bag when i went out for a shoot with my D600. Beats having to change lens (and it weighs lesser then most lens)

I also own 2 systems. The Nikon full frame and the X-E2

Personally, I think the X system with the X-E2 and X-T1, landscape wise, it is very close to the capability of the D800 that I own. Only in shadow recovery that reaches beyond -2 1/3 EV that we start to feel the difference. The more stark difference is the AF speed in truly low light situations but that cannot be helped as after all, the X system is a APS-C and the D800 is a FX.

When there isn't anything specific to shoot, the X system is light and small to carry around. It is non intrusive and allows for more natural feel of street subjects

The colors are vibrant and the controls of the X-E2 for AE-L and re-compose is really easy.

However, it cannot be compared to a FX system. Especially when it comes to sports and wild life photography. I wont push my X-E2 past ISO 1600 for street human subjects, let alone for demands where we want feather details or ISO 3200 to push for 1/2500sec shutter speeds.

X-E2 with 18-55mm kit lens
11818019473_5fd74aac5b_c.jpg

11883534723_bdedeae16c_c.jpg

Last edited:
I also own 2 systems. The Nikon full frame and the X-E2

Personally, I think the X system with the X-E2 and X-T1, landscape wise, it is very close to the capability of the D800 that I own. Only in shadow recovery that reaches beyond -2 1/3 EV that we start to feel the difference. The more stark difference is the AF speed in truly low light situations but that cannot be helped as after all, the X system is a APS-C and the D800 is a FX.

When there isn't anything specific to shoot, the X system is light and small to carry around. It is non intrusive and allows for more natural feel of street subjects

The colors are vibrant and the controls of the X-E2 for AE-L and re-compose is really easy.

However, it cannot be compared to a FX system. Especially when it comes to sports and wild life photography. I wont push my X-E2 past ISO 1600 for street human subjects, let alone for demands where we want feather details or ISO 3200 to push for 1/2500sec shutter speeds.

X-E2 with 18-55mm kit lens
11818019473_5fd74aac5b_c.jpg

11883534723_bdedeae16c_c.jpg

Question: Since Fuji system Is aps-c, why not u get the Nikon D7100 and u can use lenses from Nikon.?

Reason is as follows:

Fuji X system is different from Nikon DX system. The interface is different (AE-L, recompose and shoot is one such feature that I like about the Fuji X-E2 system). The X system is also a smaller and lighter system but has great dynamic range and the X system has a range of excellent optics (The 18-55mm kit lens is very good, the other lens that I own, the 23mm f/1.4 has a good balance between sharpness, color rendering and bokeh that I prefer over F-mount lens, including the Sigma 35mm f/1.4)

When compared, the D7100 or D7000 is still larger than the X-E2 and if I want to travel light and not spot a huge lens walking on the street, I go for the X system.

Carrying around FX lens for long hours on the streets is heavy and tires me out and I don't want to be so tired when out on a holiday after having done that for 2 years. There is negligible compromise when using the Fuji X-E2 on most situations, yet it gives advantage over weight and size.

For specific applications like Aurora Borealis, Wild life and tough shadow and lighting conditions, I still turn to my D800 and D4

Question: Since Fuji system Is aps-c, why not u get the Nikon D7100 and u can use lenses from Nikon.?

Last edited: