Baby's 1st haircut

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtdynamics

Nov 17, 2007
myieshahaircut.jpg

I will like feedback on the composition.
And should i have cropped the photo?

As for my photography techniques.
Camera was set on high 1600 ISO with a F2.8 aperture to catch the action as my daughter was moving so much during this whole process.

I will like feedback on post processing techniques as I have not done any post processing apart from sizing the picture smaller.
Is the color and overall picture ok?

At this point in time, my daughter was seated and placed in front of the mirror she just looked like she was in a daze even with the chaos all around her. (there was a kid screaming away in another seat) yet she sat there ( or she looked like she was) as thought nothing was happeing around her.

Personally, I like this picture because it potrayed my 6 month old daughter to act like a big girl and able to sit on her own and get her own haircut.

I feel that the picture can be better in a few ways but yet being so new to this, i am not really sure what that is.

All C&C welcome

Thanks

Hey..

Maybe you can crop the photo so that your girl is not so centralise and to remove the distracting background. Convert to B/W to remove the colorful background and add some grain for mood. A better angle could be used to capture more of her expression which should be the main focus of this pic.

Something like this. Pls let me if u want it taken down.
myieshahaircut.jpg

Hi,

Compo wise, I would shift the frame more to the left so that her reflection on the mirror can be seen with her "dazed" expression which you mentioned. Also, if you can shoot with the hairstylist's hands at work on her hair, that will be more action packed. For now, a tighter crop to get rid of the extra "distraction" on the right is a good way to go. Just my opinion.

By the way, for a 6 months to sit still for a hair cut is really rare, expecially when the stylist is a stranger. Good girl.;):)

congrats mrdirt:) u surely have succeeded in getting ur daughter to sit like a adult and get her own haircut:) the warmth in the picture is outstanding......only a baby can emit such fantastic warmth of life and its wonders:think:i am starting to envy u cz i wish i had a daughter or babies;)keep shooting pics,never leave the camera tooo far from urself;)cz we never know when such great pics will come by.......: personally maybe a vertical shot cud have been better but who cares anyways....

Quite like your overall pix.Maybe to some the background is a distraction .But what i see is that the background help to tell that your daughter was not distracted at all by the enviroment .She was so concentrated looking at herself thru the mirror.Lots of time ,we tends to emphasise on the subject and wanted the background remove
;p

m3lv1nh0
Thanks for that edited photo.. evokes a very different feeling, more of nostalgia.. will consider more B+W photos

lastboltnut
Yes i guess shifting the frame to get the mirror and her expression would have been better ..
Noted. thanks

newlife
Thanks for the compliments. My daughter was my prime reason for getting a camera and each weekend is a mini photo shoot of her doing anything and everything..
every small event that involves her is a big event to me now.. ;)

ALPHA1
Yup, that was the exact feeling i was trying to convey when i chose that photo.. thanks :thumbsup:

but all the c&c has alerted me to taking a better perspective photo...

I would prefer the picture to show your kids expression more.... what I would like to have a better view of the face. Kids expression is often priceless so I would catch it whenever I can.

BTW, is the photo tilted?

hi! i like the capture of the expression very much!

however find the man in the background with the black t-shirt/dark jeans very distracting/disruptive to the photo as it somehow distorts the rear of the girl's head... if she was seated inthe middle of a row of chairs maybe can take from the right instead?

but i guess it's hard enough to capture a moment like this, shifting to another angle would have likely resulted in loss of something like the expression on her face etc.

still a starting amatuer but i guess this is an open environment where everyone has his bit to contribute! :)

Why not take more photos of the haircut process? Your title makes us expect more. This photo is more like 'waiting for a haircut'. Take photos of the 'work in progress' and of course the expressions. She looks very 'guai' eh? Sat quietly thru the haircut? My boy cries like crazy when he has his haircuts :(

Haha.. my 4 yr old boy also will go ape crazy when we tried to sit him down on the barber chair. Later than I realise that he actually prefer a pretty female hairdresser to cut his hair.

Why not take more photos of the haircut process? Your title makes us expect more. This photo is more like 'waiting for a haircut'. Take photos of the 'work in progress' and of course the expressions. She looks very 'guai' eh? Sat quietly thru the haircut? My boy cries like crazy when he has his haircuts :(

She sat quietly until the hairdresser came along and she kept twisting herself to look at the hairdresser.
I do have a lot more pics, in fact i am in the process of choosing a few for my next critique next week ( to keep inline with the rules or the forum) for c&c
I will try to keep in mind the tips and advise given for my next selection.

Haha.. my 4 yr old boy also will go ape crazy when we tried to sit him down on the barber chair. Later than I realise that he actually prefer a pretty female hairdresser to cut his hair.

Cheeky boy eh?
My daughter likes to look at boys too... girls she dun mind but boys she likes very much ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.